NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2005, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Default fro-joys... real?

Posted By: s falletti

I was advised to come here for help in authenticating these cards. The seller wasn't sure if they were real or not, but will offer a 3-day money back. Any help/opinions would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8713072190&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

fdnyladder7
thesmackzone

Old 10-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

You shouldn't buy them. The Froy Joys fakes are common as dirt, these look like crap and if the seller doesn't know if they are real or not, he shouldn't be offering them for sale. What's the point of a 3 day return period? Under what scenario will you be able to contact an expert, have him examine the cards and you return the cards if you have to, all within three days?

Old 10-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

I agree with David. Oh well looks like the poster already bought them.....I don't think that was a smart move. If you don't know if the cards are real and the seller doesn't either....stay away.

Old 10-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Nearly 98% of all Fro Joys are fakes. The stock on these doesn't look right. I can't say for sure but I wouldn't buy them.

Old 10-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the replies. Having gotten lucky on these types of sales in the past, I took the gamble. Figured I'd be able to convince the seller to extend his guarantee time to send one out to PSA for piece of mind -for he as well. Seller now advises he'd now give a week to have 'em checked. Needless to say, that's a useless timeframe as well and speaks volumes about his credibility on this issue. A free grade... How can he refuse that???They'll be going back the same day. I appreciate y'alls opinions. Go Pats!

Old 10-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

Does PSA even grade those? I thought nobody graded Fro Joys any more.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 10-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Administrator

I would be curious to the hear the seller's reasoning for a 3 day return period. Realize that the next day when you get the package to the PO is the end of day one. Does the seller assume that potential buyers have a PSA grader living in the guest room?

Old 10-30-2005, 06:51 PM
Administrator

I know SGC does not grade them so I doubt PSA does. This set is one of the most reproduced out there. So judging from that and that the cards don't look good and the seller doesn't know if they are real, I would say these cards are blatant fakes.

Old 10-30-2005, 06:52 PM
Administrator

You know what I'd do? I'd foreward to eBay his emails saying he's selling stuff he doesn't know is real, and hope he gets NARUed.

Old 10-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

as a 3 dollar bill. good luck....

Old 10-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I know Fro Joy's real well. I own 9 authentic Fro Joy's, & 11 fakes. There are some fakes out there that I need to inspect with atleast 50x magnification, but those are easy to tell from the scans. Leon is right, those are fake for sure.

Old 10-31-2005, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike campbell

I found two of these in an antique store buried in a box of restaraunt menus from the 20's and 30's. Some one liked to collect menus. Though I am fairly certain they are legit, PSA would not grade them. But, thats OK, I understand their reluctance. I still like them. The antique store owner did not know they were in there, and did not know what they were. I asked what she wanted for them, and she said $10.00.

I have looked at them under a magnifying glass, and the printing dots look consistant and clear throughout. Who knows. Part of the fun I guess.

If PSA did grade them, my guess is they would grade a 4.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Administrator

You guys were right, they are counterfeit. The seller was adamant about not allowing time to have cards graded -at my time and cost. Cards looked and smelled like woodstain (minwax)I returned the cards immediately after comparing to (scans) of authentics provided by another board member. Nearly a month passes and the guy leaves me a positive. Having been burned in a prior sale, I didn't hold back and zinged him good. I doubt those Ruths will resurface any time soon. Thanks for the help all.

I'm glad some of the members have sympathy for the counterfeiter makes one wonder where the loyalty lies or likely just typical trolln... When you're done lambasting here I'm told they're seeking supporters at the "Free Osama" website. FWIW, I emailed the creep back the following day agreeing to remove the negative (on his sawbuck of course -or perhaps his concerned pals here would divvy up the fee?.. Nahhh didn't think so), at any rate, still no reply. Hope yawl have a good holiday.

Old 12-12-2005, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

In my opinion, you were a total weasel in leaving this guy negative feedback. He allowed you to return the cards and refunded your money. While he was selling fakes, he did it an an honest fashion. He could have easily ripped you off, and you were the person who against advice and common sense bid on obvious fakes. Don't take it out on the seller when he did the honest thing in your end.

Old 12-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Having been burned in a previous sale and now this, it looks like you should be doing more research than buying. Research is key and you should have asked us if you thought these cards were real BEFORE you bought them. The seller gave you a positive and you "zinged" him with a negative, why ? He gave you your money back on the sale. Sorry if I sound brutal but you went out on a limb and bought a reprint and managed to get your money back, why not just leave a a positive or none at all ?