NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-12-2005, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Default 19th century only auction is live

Posted By: jamie

didn't see any notices of this, but the auction went live last night.

http://www.19thcenturyonly.org/site/auction.asp

worth checking out just for the t206 printer's proof

Old 12-12-2005, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Zimmerman

...19th century only (and some other 20th century stuff that we decided to sell anyway, even though it's not 19th century and goes against the entire point of our name)?

Old 12-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Hi Alan,

I saw your post and wanted to provide some information.

Back in July of 2000, 19thCenturyOnly formed an online community to help create a greater appreciation for the niche of 19th century sports collectibles investing.

Then in November of 2002 we became an auction house. Collectors knew of the brand "19thCenturyOnly" so we decided to keep the name. We do handle both 19th century and early 20th century items in the www.19thCenturyOnly.com auction. It would be nice, but near impossible to fill an entire auction with 19th century only items. We do cater to the vintage card collector and there is a lot of crossover to collecting early 20th century material as well.

In addition, in March of 2005, www.20thCenturyOnly.com was formed to handle more of the 20th century collectors items.

Seth

Old 12-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Administrator

thats ok. they still use the 31 flavors name at baskin robbins, and the heinz 57 varieties name, and 20th century fox. which is all well and good. but...

i don't pretend to know your motivation for creating your website and business, but the inclusion of the word "only" in your name implies that your focus is SOLELY on 19th century stuff. but, just like this is supposed to be a vintage board, discussions tend to move towards areas other than vintage cards. and, while less than ideal, i guess it's ok. i would rather this board exist and have to deal with a little non-vintage discussion, rather than not have it exist at all. the same holds true for your site and auctions. i would rather they exist, and have to deal with some non-19th century stuff, then have your site not exist at all.

to play devil's advocate for a moment, your name implies 19th century stuff ONLY. it's just a little misleading is all. i clicked on your site to find more than half the auctions are of non 19th century stuff. not exactly living up to the "ONLY" part of your name.

Old 12-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

" What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other word would smell as sweet" ..The important thing is you are here for this community of collectors --Thank you.

Old 12-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

I have dealt with Seth and 19th Century Only for sometime with amazing satisfaction and more amazing customer service. Seth usually has a smaller but very effective auction. I always look forward to his auction even if there is a smaller 19th century offering than normal. He has done a very good job branding his company. Most collectors and dealers check it out. I guess its kinda like a good Taco Shop selling an amazing cheese burger, The name says Taco Shop but everyone knows there Burgers are the best. Keep up the great work Seth I look forward to bidding.

Trevor Hocking

Old 12-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Not sure why anyone feels the need to bash 19th century because of the name. They are a reputable auction house and I have had several good experiences with Seth over the last couple of years. Anyone who focuses on vintage cards and treats the customer right is ok by me.

Old 12-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glenn

Ditto the last couple of posters. I've only dealt with Seth once, but he's clearly a class act and offers quality 19th and 20th century cards.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have only good things to say about Seth and his auctions. Always run well and never an issue.....regards

Old 12-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Administrator

geez people, stop being alarmists. no one is bashing them or doubting their credibility. initially i was making a joke, and in my second post i commended them and said i was glad to have them and places like them around. settle down.

of course, most of the people here complain when someone talks about non vintage stuff. so, i have a right to gripe about a somewhat misleading name. talk about the pot calling the kettle black. does everyone here read these posts? or do they just gripe offhand?

Old 12-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Hey Alan,

I know you weren't directly trying to bash them personally but I think when you stated the where being "misleading" it sounded bad. My point was yes there name might say 19th Century Only but that is just like a store called Bob's Ice Cream and you go in there and buy a cake because you know they make great cakes. The company may have branded there name to just sell ice cream but they also sell cakes. Nothing wrong with that when everyone likes a little treat. Seth has just tried to accommodate his cliental. So I think when you state that a auction house is being "misleading" no matter how you say it or why it will always sound bad to whom ever is reading it and we as loyal customers just wanted to stand by Seth and 19th Century Only and say, keep making the cake because we like them!

Trevor Hocking

Old 12-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Administrator

u are lucky i love ya trevor.

Old 12-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Administrator

HEHE I love ya too