NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Graig Kreindler

Greetings from the dead, everyone!

Hope the turn of the year has been a good one for y'all, be it with family, health, collections or any combination thereof.

I have to apologize for the dead halt that this thread has come to these past few of months. Actually, I feel like it's been more than a few. Things on a personal and professional level have been a bit on the crazy side. with the former, it's just still been really tough adjusting to my now 17-month old (!!!), who I'm with for the most part of everyday. Things had started to get a bit better by the last few months of 2016 with my wife and I being able to put him in daycare for about 20 hours a week, as well as various family members being able to watch him every now and again. So, that did free up some time for painting.

However, I also had some projects I had been neglecting for a long while which absolutely needed to be completed, and that pretty much ate up the last four months or so of the prior year (I'm hoping that I can post that stuff on the regular easel thread soon, as I think the work is really strong). For what it's worth, all of this stuff I have been updating Chris about, and he's been really great with his patience and understanding, something I can't thank him enough for.

So, now I'm trying to get back into the swing of things with Jose, and this thread certainly needed an update.

Since the last time I posted, I'd been picking away at a lot of things. The background being the main thing, as there was just a lot of canvas to cover. Though the brownish tonal wash was already on the surface, it was important to start putting in general value and color relationships so that the crowd would actually start looking like a crowd, rather than just a bunch of shapes. It's one of those weird situations where even though that background plane is just a bunch of people with their arms and hands up, they need to sit properly in space. Sure, they're on top of each other and what-not, but they also need to look like they're reseeding - going back into the different rows of the stands.

I've also been working a bit on Jose himself, mostly on his head and upper body. It's been fun/murder trying to get to some of these little details, whether it's the writing on his batting gloves, the gleam on his helmet, or some of the subtle temperature shifts in his face and beard. But, I think it's all starting to come together there.

Also, you may notice that the piece is lit a bit differently from the last time I showed a photo of it. I did so because there are some spots on the canvas looking rather gray or matte - which is due to the nature of how some of these mixtures dry - and my normal fluorescent bulbs really accentuate that and make it tougher to shoot. As I work back into the piece (especially towards the end), the whole thing will be completely oiled out and have a uniform gloss and richness. So, those photographs will probably have a bit more 'oomph' to them.

Anywho, I hope y'all are diggin' what you're seeing. Again, I'm sorry it's been so long between updates, but I'm hoping to be back more regularly, and will hopefully get this done in the next month or so. As I inch closer, I'll be posting all of the updates that are fit to print.

If anyone has any questions, critiques, problems, whatever, feel free to fire away!

Thanks for reading, and also thanks for all of your patience!

Graig
Old 01-09-2017, 08:41 PM
Ben North

Your work is simply amazing, it looks awesome!
Old 01-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks so much, Ben!
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Thanks so much, Ben!
You have this amazing talent to make a players face just pop. The rest of the painting looks great too but to me the faces are amazing. It is why I love your studies so much.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:10 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks a lot, Ben. That's what those color studies are all about - those faces are the focal points, so they'll always pop the most.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Your work is simply amazing, it looks awesome!
Agreed! Now, if the Jays and Jose could agree on a one year deal!
Old 01-10-2017, 10:03 AM

Always love that you take time out for our Art 101 class. I just hope you don't ever burn out with that talent of yours.

Rob M

btw, you're past the toughest part of the child rearing (the physical part anyway). That is, until number two, three, etc. come along. Just don't forget to set the paintbrush down cuz you never get that time back.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:44 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks a lot, Rob. I'm definitely spending more time with my little guy than I am painting, which is both good and bad. The bad is that I'm even more behind than I thought I would be, but the good is that, like you mentioned, I'll never be able to get this tie back - the bond and memories I'm forming with him are beyond cool.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:53 PM
Derek Granger

Graig -

I love the one dude in the stands who's looking back at his friend with his mouth wide open!! Everyone else (except Bautista) is watching the ball! Awesome work as always!!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 01-15-2017, 06:19 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Graig -

I love the one dude in the stands who's looking back at his friend with his mouth wide open!! Everyone else (except Bautista) is watching the ball! Awesome work as always!!
The action in the stands/back of the image while I expect is not easy to paint adds a lot to the painting for me. The guy in front with the white shirt and tie is a Jays TV broadcaster that I have met a few times. It would be cool to be able to pick yourself out in the background of a notable image.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 01-15-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:14 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball tourist View Post
The action in thon stands/back of the image while I expect is not easy to paint adds a lot to the painting for me. The guy in front with the white shirt and tie is a Jays TV broadcaster that I have met a few times. It would be cool to be able to pick yourself out in the background of a notable photo.
I have seen a lot of people have themselves added to paintings. Maybe it is not too late to hit Graig up and be in the stands.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 PM
Chris Wood

Default Perhaps?

Looks like Jose may sign back with the Jays for one year plus an option.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluej...n-griffin.html
Old 01-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Chris Wood

Default He's back!

One year deal at $18m with two option years at $17m and $20m respectively. Not what he was looking for but I for one am happy to have him back.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:45 PM
Marty H.

Quote:
One year deal at $18m with two option years at $17m and $20m respectively. Not what he was looking for but I for one am happy to have him back.
Make that 2. Go Jays!
Old 01-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Here's another Jose update.

It's only a small section of the painting, as that was the main portion that I was working on today. I had mentioned in a previous post that it was important for me to have the background not only sit back - behind Bautista, of course - but also to have it seem like it's receding along the general slop of the grandstand. The way I've started going in that direction involves making the figures in that first row or two a bit tighter than everyone else that's above/behind them. They're by no means refined, but you can see a bit more nuance in them than the people higher up in the painting. So, in that regard, I think it's getting somewhere.

You might also notice that the areas that were wet in that last update are now dry and much more matte looking, which is what can happen with different mixtures. And again, that'll all be corrected once I can oil out the thing, be it with some glazes or a final varnish.

Anywho, hope y'all dig it, even if it's not necessarily as exciting as the stuff going on on Bautista himself. If anyone has any questions, feel free to chime in!!

Thanks for reading,

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 01-19-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:20 PM
Chris Wood

Looks amazing Graig! Love learning more about your process. I can really see the graduations you describe coming to bear.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 01-19-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Graig- Your work is truly amazing!

I cannot thank you enough for not only sharing the details of your efforts, but providing many of us a certain level of education on the how-to.

We will be well versed in the technical side needed for such a masterpiece, though without your immense talent, we would never be able to create a similar results ourselves.

We sit at our keyboards in awe!

Thank You,
Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-19-2017, 06:00 PM
David McDonald

The Rembrandt of the Ballyard
Old 01-19-2017, 06:16 PM
D@le Irv*n

Looking great, Graig!

Thanks for sharing with us an update.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Bill Boyd

Graig,
A lot of work in that painting, wow. One hellava painting. That finished product is going to be amazing.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:55 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you for all of the kind words, everybody! I meant to respond to all of you a few days ago, but things have been a sh!tstorm at home.

I've been able to pick away at Jose more and thought I'd share.

The background is really starting to come together, though there are still some spots that still need to be covered. Additionally there are a bunch of edges that could be softened as well.

I had mentioned in a previous post that the bat is going to be one of - if not the - focal point of the painting. As you can tell right now, it's not. Once the rest of the fans are in and where they need to be in terms of successfully sitting back in space, then I'll be plugging away to make sure that thing really comes forward. That'll happen not only with detail, edges and color, but also with some impasto. I just want to make sure the thing sticks out like a sore thumb.

A secondary point of interest is the hand that Jose threw the thing with, which I'm also making as crisp and clean as possible. I just think that those two pieces are the crux of what'll make this painting work.

Anywho, hope you're diggin' it thus far. If you have any comments or questions, feel free to chime in!

As always, thanks for reading.

Graig
Old 01-24-2017, 02:04 PM
Marty H.

Painting is beautiful...just can't believe the Cop ain't watching the homer???
Old 01-24-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all of the kind words, everybody! I meant to respond to all of you a few days ago, but things have been a sh!tstorm at home.

I've been able to pick away at Jose more and thought I'd share.

The background is really starting to come together, though there are still some spots that still need to be covered. Additionally there are a bunch of edges that could be softened as well.

I had mentioned in a previous post that the bat is going to be one of - if not the - focal point of the painting. As you can tell right now, it's not. Once the rest of the fans are in and where they need to be in terms of successfully sitting back in space, then I'll be plugging away to make sure that thing really comes forward. That'll happen not only with detail, edges and color, but also with some impasto. I just want to make sure the thing sticks out like a sore thumb.

A secondary point of interest is the hand that Jose threw the thing with, which I'm also making as crisp and clean as possible. I just think that those two pieces are the crux of what'll make this painting work.

Anywho, hope you're diggin' it thus far. If you have any comments or questions, feel free to chime in!

As always, thanks for reading.

Graig
Joey Bats is looking awesome, Graig!
Old 01-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Chris Wood

It is very cool! Coming together so well. EXCITED.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:32 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Looks awesome, love seeing all the updates!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:24 PM
Al

As I have always said Graig your work is beyond words!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 03-15-2017, 04:06 PM
Chris Wood

Photographer of famous Odor-Bautista pic suing memorabilia store
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...rabilia-store/

Hadn't seen the Odor bat flip-single prior to this. Funny!

Chris

Last edited by baseball tourist; 03-15-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Photographer of famous Odor-Bautista pic suing memorabilia store
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...rabilia-store/

Hadn't seen the Odor bat flip-single prior to this. Funny!

Chris
That's gotta be embarrassing, but I guess not as much as throwing the ball away giving the Jays the ALDS series win.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:23 PM
Chris Wood

It's a busy "bat flip" news day!

Jeopardy turns Bautista bat flip into clue, but makes key mistake
http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...s-key-mistake/

Chris
Old 03-17-2017, 09:43 AM
Bill Boyd

Graig,
Dang that,s good!!!
Old 03-18-2017, 10:13 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
That'll happen not only with detail, edges and color, but also with some impasto.
Can you please explain these techniques in more detail? I can understand how a brighter color would stand out, but do you take something that basically brown and make it pop? Also what is impasto?

Looks fantastic BTW. He really comes alive in it so far. Your skill creating motion in a still frame is really incredible

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 03-19-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
Can you please explain these techniques in more detail? I can understand how a brighter color would stand out, but do you take something that basically brown and make it pop? Also what is impasto?

Looks fantastic BTW. He really comes alive in it so far. Your skill creating motion in a still frame is really incredible

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
http://bfy.tw/Aiss

Last edited by sago; 03-19-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for the kind words, everybody! I'm hoping to get back to Jose in a few days - things continue to be crazy here.

Mark, in regards to your questions, impasto just really refers to any paint that's applied to a surface rather thickly - thick to the point of where it noticeably sticks out from or off the surface. It's actually an approach that also help draw the viewer's eye to a particular part of the painting. Aside from that, it can help add emphasis to certain passages or edges, and overall give a piece some nice nuance (if texture is something the artist is interested in). I try to be a bit more open and willing about it these days, as it's something that I used to shy away from.

And really, there are lots of other ways to make colors or passages pop. In addition to the use of texture, it's all about keeping in mind what surrounds the area you're trying to emphasize. And that's in regard to value, temperature, edges and almost anything else you can think of. It's all relative. So, if I wanted to make a certain brown on my canvas pop, I would probably a lot of attention to what's around it. Those colors might be less chromatic, have softer edges and/or be smoother overall, while I could do my best to make the brown a more 'colorful' mixture and make sure it has more texture than the surrounding areas.

I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but it's early and I'm a bit sleep-deprived these days...so if something doesn't make sense, just say so!
Old 04-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

I was picking away at Jose today, and I'm finally happy to say that the background crowd is completely blocked in. Finally. Like, seriously.

So, at this point, I have to let it dry a bit and then it'll be time to soften a lot of edges back there, which will then lead to me putting more oomph into the bat - that thing's gotta pop after all.

Jose himself is looking pretty good, and it's only his lower half that needs a bit of work - the rest is just a touch here and touch there.

Ever closer...ever closer...

Graig
Old 04-08-2017, 07:19 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Hey all,

I was picking away at Jose today, and I'm finally happy to say that the background crowd is completely blocked in. Finally. Like, seriously.

So, at this point, I have to let it dry a bit and then it'll be time to soften a lot of edges back there, which will then lead to me putting more oomph into the bat - that thing's gotta pop after all.

Jose himself is looking pretty good, and it's only his lower half that needs a bit of work - the rest is just a touch here and touch there.

Ever closer...ever closer...

Graig
Looking good, Graig!
Old 04-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Looking good, Graig!
I agree! Thanks Graig.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:08 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks, guys. Hoping I can call it a wrap on this soon - Chris has waited patiently long enough.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:24 AM
Bill Boyd

That is one amazing piece. Besides Bautista, there is like 100 mini portraits in the background.
Okay Chris, before you get the painting, you have to count how many people are in the background........................................ LOL
Great work Graig. Another masterpiece.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:13 PM

Man, I'll never be front and center on one of Graig's paintings but I'd love to at least show up in the crowd on one of them!

Rob M
Old 04-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Looks great . . .

A neat video that I noticed on Twitter. I considered starting a whole new thread, but this one was just bumped to the top so sharing here (excuse me if this has already been shared) . . .

Graig Kreindler Finishing the '27 Yanks & More

The video provides some insight into the process. Nice Deacon White portrait in the background at 54 second mark
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 04-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Thanks, guys. Hoping I can call it a wrap on this soon - Chris has waited patiently long enough.
Good things come to those that wait, my friend!

Not looking to speak ill of another artist (especially when I can't even manage a respectable stick figure) but here is a "rushed" version of the same shot done by a Toronto-area artist that painted it "live throughout the day" at Jose's Celebrity Golf Tourney. The painting did raise $24k for charity which is a great thing. Perhaps, her style is abstract, I don't know, but I can't say that it holds a candle to Graig's work.

http://www.imgrum.org/tag/JoseBautis...ityGolfClassic

Last edited by baseball tourist; 04-09-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Looks great . . .

A neat video that I noticed on Twitter. I considered starting a whole new thread, but this one was just bumped to the top so sharing here (excuse me if this has already been shared) . . .

Graig Kreindler Finishing the '27 Yanks & More

The video provides some insight into the process. Nice Deacon White portrait in the background at 54 second mark
OMG! That '27 Yankees team painting. Just WOW!

Rob M
Old 04-10-2017, 06:22 PM

[QUOTE=baseball tourist;1649417]Good things come to those that wait, my friend!

Not looking to speak ill of another artist (especially when I can't even manage a respectable stick figure) but here is a "rushed" version of the same shot done by a Toronto-area artist that painted it "live throughout the day" at Jose's Celebrity Golf Tourney. The painting did raise $24k for charity which is a great thing. Perhaps, her style is abstract, I don't know, but I can't say that it holds a candle to Graig's work.

http://www.imgrum.org/tag/JoseBautis...ityGolfClassic[/QUOTE

The art pales in comparison to Graig's work but the artist looks better in stripes than he does (No offense Graig..I've never seen you in stripes so I'm just making an assumption).
Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Bill Boyd

There was a paining there?.......Oh Yea, Howard you are right, there is a painting there.

She also painted her own toes. Is that what artists do when they run out of canvas? Graig show us your toes.

Last edited by billyb; 04-10-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:41 PM

Showed my daughter Greg's art today. She's headed to college as an art major. Was good to know she recognizes quality when she sees it. She was mesmerized. She's got promise and I hope people see her art more than her figure or her toes.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:26 PM

iN Her Defense...

She ONLy had a Day ta Complete Her Work,
THaTs All Her Prison Release Would Allow!
Old 04-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

So, Jose's juuuuuuust about done.

At this point, the most important thing that has to happen is for it to dry for a week, so I can then oil it out and all of those lighter matte areas that are eye-sores right now will all be luscious and vibrant. I'll be able to share some details then and can talk about them with a bit more depth.

The plan is that I'll be able to oil it out and start glazing by the end of the weekend (hopefully), and I'll be able to take it to the photographers a few days later. Which means we'll be able to call this a finished painting!

Thank you all for bearing with me in this whole effort, as it went longer than I had hoped it would. The truth is, fatherhood has certainly changed the way I work (and am able to DO work), so meeting deadlines - whether 'real' or self-imposed - has become even more challenging.

With that in mind, I'm not too sure whether it would be fair to you guys to have another raffle in the near future. I know that the time table rubbed some people the wrong way, and the last thing I want to do is piss anyone on this board off, especially since you've all been so good to me for the past 8 years. At the same time though, if any of you have thoughts about it, I'd love to hear them, whether in a PM or here on the thread.

Anywho, I hope you're all still enjoying the process, and I'm looking forward to having a finished, professionally-photographed product to show y'all soon, and just as important, to put in Chris' patient hands!

Thanks, all.

Graig
Old 04-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Looks great. I would think that anyone participating in such a raffle would understand the time it takes to paint something that's a true work of art. Would be cool to see the raffles continue for many reasons, including the fun we all have tracking the process the winner uses in selecting the image and following the process of painting from start to finish.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:30 PM
Chris Wood

Very excited to have this adorning my wall shortly Graig! It is truly an amazing piece.

I have mentioned this to you but I echo the thoughts above and for one hope that you may will have the time and interest to hold another Net54 raffle. I want another lucky winner to experience what I have the pleasure of experiencing and I promised to buy Billy a ticket for all his work organizing the previous raffle.

Last edited by baseball tourist; 04-25-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:35 AM
d.ean

I think being on the receiving end of one of your remarkable paintings is worth the wait. Thank you for sharing the process.