NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-25-2006, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Default U think Baseball cards are expensive?? NOT

Posted By: TONY

A friend of mine was bitching how expensive some baseball cards are these days....
expensive compared to what????

do any of u collectors follow other hobbies?

I do.....

check out these prices .....

A photograph sold at auction for over 1 million dollars recently...... a photograph folks.... oh yes a new world record

Two US $100 bills sold at auction for $2.1 million $$ each
new world records for currency

Last yr a home in London England sold for $126 million, a world record.....I know that's not a collectible,,,,but some ultra rich person just paid $135,000,000.00 for a painting......a painting is a little paint scrawled on a piece of canvas & I assume u get a frame.......But he could have bought the London home & had $9 million for upkeep,,,,

Top Us rare coins routinely sell for a million ++ almost monthly these days.......

so next time u think baseball cards are expensive.....keep above items in your memory bank......maybe top baseball cards are still cheap in comparison......

Old 06-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

You know Tony: you are correct. I particularly find a number of paintings yielding prices which cause me to wish I was more heavily vested in that collectible than I am.

But you only cite those items which are considered the blue chips of the collectible fraternity. What about game cards, comics, etc. And what about things which are not widely coillected? What are they? Marbles? Bottle Caps? Video games? Other stuff?

Old 06-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Just think if people with that much money stopped buying those items and started buying old baseball cards and memorabilia...

Old 06-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

This might be the most psycholigically sad thread ever. Any excuse to rationalize the cash we spend on our obsession.... How about a hobby like gardening? Knitting? I can think of about 1000 that costs less than the ridiculous sums I spend on cards.

Old 06-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: edacra

Museum quality photographs aren't even the same league as Baseball Cards. There are definetly things people deal and collect that cost more then Baseball Cards on the high end perspective - but if you take into account the Gretsky Wagner and that kind stuff....There's a reason major art houses started handling sports cards.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Obermeyer

Jeff - If you think knitting isn't an expensive hobby, think again. My wife is a passionate knitter... and she can spend a lot of money on special wools. I kid you not. We went to Iceland for vacation last fall and I noticed she was packing an empty bag in her suitcase. When I asked her what it was for, she looked surprised. "Wool". She filled it too.

One of the nice things about specializing within your area of interest is that you don't have as many opportunities to buy. The down side, of course, as that each item that slips through your fingers becomes more and more of a blow.

Jeff