NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-21-2002, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Default National 2002 & Forum Dinner

Posted By: petecld 

(I'm sorry it's taken so long to post this.)

For a little about our get together, look at:

http://www.caramel-cards.com/forum54.html

My view on the National:

If you've been to a large Chicago show you saw all the same dealers but so much more. It seemed like everytime you walked down the same aisle you saw something new. As was prviously mentioned old Judge cards were pretty plentiful. Asking rpices were quite high compared and many were in GAI holders. They didn't seem to sell well.

Caramel cards: If you only buy ex and above the National was a bust. There were a lot of e-cards and many were in nice, decent middle grades. More(read: most) were found in low grade (surprise!) but it was nice seeing some variety for a change. The best one was a SGC 88 E92 C&A Jacklitsch. There were two piles of beautiful e-cards that were amazing on the front but had 50% or more back damage. And believe me, they were priced as if the backs were all there. They were still there on Sunday when I did my last look around. As mentioned there were 2 E94 overprints found and thanks to Scott Brockelman I was able to buy a really nice E102 Evers that graded SGC 60. I saw 2 E253 Oxfords, no E99s or E100s, 2 beat to all get out E90-2s and only one E90-3(poor). The only E107s were at brockelman's table. Hats off to Tik & Tik for their usual display of cards.

There were also a lot of trimmed e-cards at the show and I did inform one seller that his E95 Wagner was in fact a reprint. Thankfully he ws a synd up guy and took it off his table immediately. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!

Biggest RIP-OFFS:

$1.75 for a 8oz. Pepsi that is 75% ice.

$10 for a stupid program just to get a map of where dealer tables were. Note to National Committee: talk about cheap guys. And, HELLO! It's the National BASEBALL Card Convention. Did Kobe Bryant have to be on the cover? No Baseball player pics available? There was supposed to be one or more deales handing them out for free but I asked around but never found one and got nothing but confused looks.

National notes:

- Total cost of admission and parking for the 4 days: $74.00. Sure for another $15 I could have gotten a VIP package and maybe won a Brittney Spears costume patch card but. . . PLEASE.

- I was able to buy most of the back issues I needed of VCBC - thanks guys.

- Dealers still try to low ball the s*** out of you when buying cards. Guys, ever hear of ebay and Mastro and Lipset, and SCP, and Superior auctions? I know you need to make money so I understand a "reasonable" offer but insulting my intelligence isn't going to win you a new customer.

- STILL, the dealers who don't pay attention to you when you are standing at their table. I understand waiting if you are talking to someone but either just LOOK UP or put the stupid magazine down and ask me if I want to spend my money on your cards! Geeze. Someone needs to tell these guys - I don't need them, THEY NEED ME!

- I thought the crowds were kinda thin considering it was "The National" but most dealers said that for a National the crowds were good. The longest line for tickets was only 6 people deep when I got there. Thursday seem to be the busiest day.

I wanted Ali's autograph but $350??? Not that badly. I needed money for a Pepsi.

Lesson learned: NEVER pay marked price.

Lesson learned: Bring your own bottle of water or soda.

Old 08-21-2002, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Nice job !! Boy, by those pics you would think I am fat or something....probably 41% body fat, huh BCD? At any rate I would like to thank the Pete'inator for being our cheauffer and staying somewhat sober....and BTW Pete, no details on my impersonation of you know who, when back up at the room at about 2:30 Have to admit I had a blast with everyone....till next year...best regards

Old 08-21-2002, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

What happened to the picture of you running off with the beer, Pete?

Lee

Old 08-21-2002, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Lee,

Do you really think the interent needs a picture of my fat a**. I didn't think so.

Old 08-21-2002, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Your secret is safe with me.

They say the camera adds 10lbs.

That picture was taken with 8 cameras and that is the story I'm sticking to.

Old 08-21-2002, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Peter, good work, just like the rest of your site. In the less than likely chance that a National is in ever Seattle, you guys are welcome to sleep in my garage.

Old 08-21-2002, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Leon~ use this!
Leon~

the lemonade, cayenne pepper and maple syrup mixture will make a new man out of you! Smaller! and healthier! Loose 10 pounds in 6 days without losing muscle mass.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0963926209/qid=1029904563/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-5603968-0316708

It's only $6.50 dude! You will need it if you think you will not be running your flubber oof playing racket ball with me bro! I am comin to your town soon!!!

Old 08-21-2002, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

and being as you are important~~~ that would be a breach of sacred security.

Old 08-21-2002, 10:44 PM
Administrator

My technique is to eat naked in front of a full length mirror, then throw up when I'm done. Keeps my teeth white too.

Old 08-21-2002, 10:59 PM
Administrator

I accept letters in bottles, smoke signals (remember, T206 is spelled with 2 puffs not 1) and epiphanies during my periodic psychotic states.

Old 08-21-2002, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: B C Daniels

But what does it have to do with you , PRO, Koos and/or cards?... LOL****

Old 08-21-2002, 11:06 PM
Administrator

I almost forgot-- and comley young messangers named Giselle. Beats the telephone anyday.

Old 08-21-2002, 11:17 PM
Administrator

I said 'throw up', didn't I?

Old 08-22-2002, 07:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I can honestly say that it was a pleasure every single time I met a board member, or virtually anyone else I knew "virtually".

--------------------------------------------
no disclaimer - temporarily taking responsibility for my actions

Old 08-22-2002, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

The picture of Brian looking at the menu was after he scared the waiter away when he asked if we wanted any appetizers and Brian asked for a salad, the waiter proceeded to leave our table. I think Brian was checking to make sure a salad was on the menu.

Moral of the story when in Chicago at an expensive resturant don't ask for a salad it scares the waiters.

Leon's photo in front of the picture had me confused about how far the dress actually covered the woman's butt.

All in all it was great fun and I got a free t-Shirt from a bar because my armpit hairs showed. The bad thing about the the shirt is that it had written "Don't Take Home".

Lee

Old 08-22-2002, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

If a woman sees that on your shirt, she will of course ignore it!

Old 08-22-2002, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I got confused about 'right" and ":left," not knowing any of you guys to look at. I THINK I have it straight now, with Leon's "you'd think I was fat" comment--that makes him far right. no? as in right field? From his point of view, he's on the left, but....you know what I mean.

By the way, you'd think I was fat, too...

Old 08-22-2002, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Scott Brockleman is the--(S**T) handsome guy in the red shirt on viewer's left.

Right...er, correct?

Old 08-22-2002, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Sorry for the confusing captions.

This is what happens when you change the page layout but not the text! Duh!

Hey, if I was smarter I would have gone to a real college - and gotten a real job.

I've updated the page and I THINK it is correct now but I promise nothing.

Old 08-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BRIAN C DANIELS

post a picture for us to see!

Old 08-23-2002, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Juilie Vognar

I don't know how to post a picture. If someone would tell me how, I woukld do it.