NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-22-2002, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default New collectors asking for advice

Posted By: runscott

I would hope that people who participate regularly on this board would give their honest opinion to these people, and save the "devil's advocate" or "protect my own interest" stuff for others who are better equipped to ignore it.

Old 08-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Agree 100 percent.

Old 08-22-2002, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

what were good and bad investments. The best I could do was name the two sets I collect which ALWAYS sell much lower than book ('35 Goudey and '88Scrapps), and tell him i didn't think they were a very good investment--but that I collected them. I hope that wasn't confusing.

Old 08-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Julie, I have no clue what's good for investment, in part because my goal isn't to have stuff sitting in my basebment for years.

I think Scott was refering to typical board arguments and nit-picking ('Technically, Goudey cannot be considered a gum issue, as their chicle contained harpsornate 12, which 1933 consumer law did not allow to be put into true bubblegum. As such, the Goudeys are technically a Chewable Plastic Insoluble Based issue. And don't even get me going on that scam perpetrated on public called the double bubble.' And this was a response to a newsbie's question of, "What's a common card mean?)), which, at best, will confuse the newbie.

Old 08-22-2002, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brueso

and you tell them how to build a watch...

Old 08-22-2002, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Another would be when someone asks for advice and the answer is simple. "Should I buy PRO cards?!? ".

Based on the accumulated knowledge and experience of board members, the answer would be a simple and resounding "NO". Everyone who participates regularly on this board knows that NASA,AAA and PRO are very poor bets. I too can think of ways to minimize risk when buying a PRO-graded card (John Spencer has done a good job of it at times), but newbies need honest opinions and I would never recommend that someone new to the hobby buy PRO-graded cards with confidence just because the seller is a super-duper Platinum Power Seller.

Also, the guy selling the t206 Matty reprint had a very good feedback rating and from emails I exchanged with him, he was obviously an honest guy who made a mistake, and was new to vintage cards. So I'm certain it's possible for people to get outside of their area of expertise and make mistakes, despite being a Powerseller. What if, for instance, a seller attained his super-duper PowerSeller status by selling comic books, then moved over to the vintage card area? Would this be a guy you would trust to buy cards from? much less, PRO-graded cards? (just a hypothetical example)

Old 08-22-2002, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Lawrie

I gave my opinion ad nauseum. Why don't the rest of you do the same instead of just hoarding the knowledge. (His question was: which sets between WWI and WWII are most likely to increase in value over time?)

Tom

Old 08-22-2002, 04:20 PM
Administrator

The guy's post was called "The Great Debate" . . .

I gave my opinion ad nauseum. Why don't the rest of you do the same instead of just hoarding the knowledge. (His question was: which sets between WWI and WWII are most likely to increase in value over time?)

Tom

Old 08-22-2002, 04:25 PM
Administrator

"USA and PRO Grading services anybody?"

But you are right - there are too many lurkers on the board (consumers who do not produce).

Old 08-22-2002, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay berhens

I produce flatulence, snot and a pretty nasty lung oyster. What more do you want from a guy? :-p

Jay

Old 08-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Administrator

of those, which do you think has the best chance to increase in value?

Old 08-22-2002, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

my guess would be the snot since boogers pretty much stay in their original state. Unless you get a good runny one. I guess I could try and bottle the flatulence.

Jay