NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-13-2002, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: leon

So I was at the Nationals and it was Sunday about 3:30pm. I had just polished off 2 big slices of sausage pizza and 2 hot dogs (all the way of course) with Andy B., as it was 2 for 1 day-read "they gotta get rid of 'em". I had to leave at 4pm to catch the shuttle to the airport and Andy said he needed to say something to Steve Verkman. Since I AM on his mailing list and have bought from him once (although I returned it after viewing that it was massacred at the bottom)I figured I would introduce myself. We got over to his table and he was pretty busy putting his stuff up although still talking to people. I introduced myself and asked him to look at a card for me in an SGC 80 holder that I had just got graded. He looked at it and said "nice card, except the bottom doesn't look good". I think the card looks good, I said. I was not going to bring up my one experience with his company but this little inuendo did it. I said I knew that he was not the one that I spoke to that had described the card I bought as vg. and was trimmed but wanted him to know his company was selling trimmed cards as vg... ANYONE could have seen it was trimmed it was so so obvious. He then told me that if the card was NMT and was trimmed he would normally, in the course of business, and very non-chalantly call it a vg. No qualifiers, no nothing. I said I couldn't believe what I just heard and could he repeat it. He said it again, "if a card is trimmed but otherwise NMT he would call it vg"..I said I could not believe he said, or thought that, and looked at him in awe, almost speechless..and walked away asking Andy if he could believe what just happened?...unbelievable...now you know his grading standards............best regards

Old 08-13-2002, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: petecld

Now I know why all of his e-cards were labeled VG.

Old 08-13-2002, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: Andy Baran

Leon,

I was wondering how long it would take you to write about this story. You forgot to mention how funny it was that Scott Forrest and Steve Verkman were having a very pleasant conversation, neither of them knowing who the other was. As soon as they realized who they were talking to, the conversation ended.

Old 08-14-2002, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

LOL

Old 08-14-2002, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

Leon-

From your story above, can you tell me the name of Verkman's Company? I don't know who he is or which company he owns (or is involved with).

-dan

Old 08-14-2002, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

His company is Steve Verkman Vintage Cards and Memorabilia and he does most of his business (I believe) as Clean Sweep Auctions.....

http://www.csauctions.com/

I would be a little careful on cards he grades vg, as well as anything else you buy from him....I have been told he was alright to deal with, and he did give me my refund immediately, but he seemed pretty cold when I spoke with him.....maybe it was the Runscott deal or my amazement at his grading thoughts.....regards

Old 08-14-2002, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: Marc S.

He usually goes by Steve Verkman -- but he also runs a lot of auctions, etc. private under "Clean Sweep Auctions". I think that their website is csauctions.com

Old 08-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: Therick@99mph

I prefer to call him Jerkman.

Old 08-14-2002, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

Sounds like another good one to add to the AVOID list.

Old 08-14-2002, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: Julie Vognar

...but it was vg-ex!

One problem with Verkman is that once in a while, he'll have something you really want, and then you hasve to buy it and have someone tell you whether it's O.K. or not--if you don't trust your own judgement.

Old 08-14-2002, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: B C Daniels

Mr. "T" ( trimmed )

or "VG" man!

Hey leon! Tomorrow night! The greatest guitar player of the 20th century is is my town! Ya-hoo! Martin 12 stringers unite! ( I know David, you do not get it..)

Old 08-14-2002, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: Dr.Koos

guess: Paco DeLucia? Joe Pass? Frank Gemballa? Stanley Jordan? Grant Geisman? Steve Howe? Mahavishnu John McLaughlin? George Benson? Stevie Vai? Al Dimeola? John Abercrombie?

Old 08-14-2002, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

... I feel insulted and extremely slighted by your switching horses in the middle of the stream! I'm not good enough for your tirades and morbid obsessions any longer? You need Verkman? WHY????....WHY??? damn it!!! YOU owe me an explanation!! I gave you the best posts of my life and THIS...THIS is how you repay me??? By going after Verkman??? OK!! OK Dan!! NOW I know what a two-timing PLAYER you really are!!! I'm OUT of your life. I'm LEAVING! Even if you BEG me not to!

Old 08-14-2002, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

You forgot Oscar C and Lee Rittenhour but "Al Dimeola " is a great studio musician.But the guy I am seeing is only the second person to ever be used in advertising on Martin guitar billboards and posters! He is that good on the 12 string ,folk but would be more popular if he was not Canadian! The other Martin guitarist on posters was Kenny Loggins!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1365015463

( and for the consumate fan* )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=892234336

hee hee I'll get my money back on the tickets selling the pins!

Old 08-14-2002, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: jay behrens

We can only hope and pray

Jay

Old 08-14-2002, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

...I'll stay!!! I was all set to leave, had my walking shoes all laced up tight as Hell, my gunny-sack over my shoulder, even my personal effects packed and ready to go. Dan can burst into flames for all I care and I wouldn't as much as spit in his direction (scorning ME for VERKMAN)..he'll be SORRY he LOST ME to Jay!!!!

Old 08-15-2002, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: goudey guy

I have dealt with this guy in the past as well, and can't say that I have anything good to say about him or his assistants. I purchased a few items from his catalog and didn't receive them within ten days. When I called to find out what was going on they were very evasive. Although I finally received my order, I too received no apologies or sorrow for the mishap. I also ran into his booth at the National, and found that he had a sleezy assistant with a walkie talkie doign his work for him. As I was interested in one of his cards, I had to try to barter with this woman. She tried paging him on his walkie talkie, but to no avail. I picked up a 1926 Holland Ice Cream card that he had marked $75 in his catalog for $30. Touche...

Old 08-15-2002, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: Mike Williams

one was from an phone auction of his several years ago. I won a T202 Cobb/Jennings that he had graded as Ex+++. When I picked up the card personally (he attended Ft. Washington), the card had corner creasing. When I told him I didn't want the card....as it was NOT Ex+++, he told me you never find T202's this nice and creasing is acceptable for the given grade. When I said "no card over Vg/Ex should have creasing", he asked me to never to bid in his auction again. A few years later, I did give him some business....I bought a D322 Wagner under the agreement that it would grade through SGC. He agreed, it did....and all was well.

Old 08-15-2002, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 08-15-2002, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

...Did YOU construct the above "sentence" or do you have "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka on your payroll, as a ghost-writer??

Old 08-15-2002, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: TBob

nm

Old 08-16-2002, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: B C Daniels

And Rick makes Verkman look like Dudley DoRight!

Old 08-20-2002, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Default Steve Verkman

Posted By: SM

Steve Verkman is like bowling. Everything averages out!