NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-27-2018, 12:30 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default What can you tell me about this Ruth ball?

Visited with my cousin today and she has had the ball below in her possession since her aunt died 20+ years ago. The ball belonged to her aunt’s brother who got it in person, presumably in the 20’s during a Yankee-Red Sox game at Fenway. Not sure but this is what my cousin was told. What can you folks tell me about this ball and signature???? Thanks in advance for any insight. Also looking to help her with a rough value for insurance purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:55 PM
David Linardy

Default The babe

Definitely an early 20's signature. It would be nice if it hade some more discernible characteristics, but the font makes it pre 1926.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Definitely an early 20's signature. It would be nice if it hade some more discernible characteristics, but the font makes it pre 1926.
What font? It's a mid-to-late twenties signature. The quotes around "Babe" date it to 1928 or before. The size of the signature date it to 1926 and after. So, I'd say a three year window.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 01-27-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
What font? It's a mid-to-late twenties signature. The quotes around "Babe" date it to 1928 or before. The size of the signature date it to 1926 and after. So, I'd say a three year window.
The size of the signature dates it. Dates it.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:56 PM
David Linardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
the font on the ball stamping... it went from block to script like In 25-26
Old 01-27-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
the font on the ball stamping... it went from block to script like In 25-26
You'd be right, if that was an OAL ball. It's not.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey View Post
The size of the signature dates it. Dates it.
Got me. Good for you!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:02 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Thanks guys. Any thoughts on a price range for a ball Ike this? Also, any thoughts on the ball itself? It’s not an official ball...but is it a desirable one? Maker?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:48 PM
Brendan Mullen

David your posts and replies always give the impression that you are the most miserable person in the world. Sad way to live...

Anyway, 100% authentic 1928 or earlier signature. Value roughly $3000-$5000

Last edited by Bpm0014; 01-28-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:10 PM

$2500-3000. The earlier vintage really doesn't come into play due to condition and other obvious factors.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
David your posts and replies always give the impression that you are the most miserable person in the world. Sad way to live...

WTF are you talking about Brendon? Dewey made me laugh--and, of course, he's absolutely correct. (In more ways than one.) Good on ya, Dewey!
Old 01-29-2018, 10:47 AM
Brendan Mullen

WTF are you talking about Brendon?

I was just going to say that you're always so surly all the time and that you're always talking down to people and to lighten up a bit! But ^^^^^^
Old 01-29-2018, 02:57 PM

Brendan, I believe that your opinion about David cannot be further from the truth and is polar opposite to that of many of us here on this board!

David has always taken the time and patience to answer any and all of my questions over these many years and i believe him to be a valuable contributor to this board and most importantly, a genuine human being.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:41 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Thanks for the feedback fellas. It is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-30-2018, 07:52 AM
Brendan Mullen

Brendan, I believe that your opinion about David cannot be further from the truth and is polar opposite to that of many of us here on this board!

Fair enough, then I apologize. He just always seems so short with everyone that asks a question.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:

I'm going to go with $2,300-2,500. The condition hurts it and being pre-1928 hasn't done much for the value of balls in that condition, especially a non-OAL ball.

But I'm responding to you because I'm curious why you think it could be worth as much as $5,000. Also because I don't think David's interaction in this thread seems too bad. I get his frustration. I participate in another history forum where guys with high post counts will post 'facts' that are very believable, especially to non-experts. It's tough to stay out of such threads when I know absolutely, with no doubt, that the poster is incorrect and that now his 'facts' are preserved forever and could be googled in the future and used to make bad decisions. In the history forum I have already seen where someone used an incorrect internet blog 'fact' as part of a published article. It was painful to see.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:39 AM
Brendan Mullen

Yeah the $5000 may be a tad high, but to the right collector you never know... I'm still comfortable saying $3000 all day for this ball.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah the $5000 may be a tad high, but to the right collector you never know... I'm still comfortable saying $3000 all day for this ball.
I don't think it's anywhere near a $3000 baseball. (But if I say so, Brendan will say I'm the most miserable person on the face of the earth. ;-) )
Old 02-02-2018, 05:05 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Thank you guys for the continued discussion. I’d like to learn more about the ball, including but not limited to price, so keep the feedback coming.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:42 PM
Brendan Mullen

I don't think it's anywhere near a $3000 baseball. (But if I say so, Brendan will say I'm the most miserable person on the face of the earth. ;-) )

Hahahaha. See! I knew you had a sense of humor! Haha.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:01 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

So my cousin is looking to insure the Ruth baseball and her insurance company is asking her for an appraisal. What’s best, approved way to meet this requirement?

Old 03-10-2018, 03:46 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
So my cousin is looking to insure the Ruth baseball and her insurance company is asking her for an appraisal. What’s best, approved way to meet this requirement?

Call me crazy but the condition and value of the ball isnt something I would go out of my way to insure. Yes it is an authentic Ruth ball but I think you would spend more money getting it sent to the right person to get it authenticated/graded and appraised to be wort the trouble. After theft or damage deducteble was me what would be the purpose? Again you guys chime in if I am wrong.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:01 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
Call me crazy but the condition and value of the ball isnt something I would go out of my way to insure. Yes it is an authentic Ruth ball but I think you would spend more money getting it sent to the right person to get it authenticated/graded and appraised to be wort the trouble. After theft or damage deducteble was me what would be the purpose? Again you guys chime in if I am wrong.
I'd lean this way as well. The way I was taught to think about it, insurance in general is a losing proposition (that's how the insurance companies make their money obviously) so it's really there to protect you from the "can't afford to lose" situations. In this case there's nothing here to indicate that if the ball was lost/damaged that you would be in much worse shape.

I guess if it was only a few bucks to insure, why not. But personally I would spend a ton of money doing so unless there was good reason (at which point I would consider selling it unless there is a lot of personal value.)

That said, really cool item. And while as others have mentioned the condition is not great, even as is, it was immediately apparent from the style signature that it's an earlier signature.

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 03-11-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:02 PM
Belltown Vintage

In many collecting areas it is recognized that insurance will NEVER be paid, so we just don't insure things.

In vintage baseball I generally insure just because many collectors get upset and post nasty things about you if you don't. But the truth is - insurers love to get paid for insurance, but they NEVER pay up. There is always a reason why you don't get paid for the lost or damaged item. I could give you three examples off the top of my head where I filed a claim and got refused. The first refusal was from a vintage collectibles insurance company that I was paying over $1,000 twice a year to. When I finally had a $300 claim they found a loophole to avoid paying. Good for them - I immediately cancelled their $2,000 a year golden egg and posted here what a sh*t company they were. On the other hand, it had still been a good idea, as I quite buying insurance through the post office and had been paying over $2,000 per year, so I unwittingly had self-insured myself and proven that it was the best idea.

The other two that come to mind were with USPS - you would not believe the excuses they come up with.

Last edited by Runscott; 03-11-2018 at 06:03 PM.