NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Since the card was bought off ebay at your request, forget it. 18 24.00%
Ask the seller to discount the amount you paid because the card's borders were recolored. 13 17.33%
Request to return the card and get a refund and wait and wait and wait for another. 24 32.00%
Chalk it up as a learning experience. 20 26.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 PM

Default WW54ersD?

Here's a quizzer for you: you see a card on ebay which you have been searching for years to complete a pre-war set. There are no bids on the card yet and you contact the seller and ask him if he would be willing to sell the card outright. Ebay permits this. He emails you that he would and gives you a stiff price if you want to buy it. You realize it is probably close to "book" (the card is raw by the way) but you have tired of trying to find it. You agree and buy the card which appears vg+ to vgex after the seller ups the price 60% from his original figure he gave you. You still agree. The card is received and sent to SGC which grades it as "authentic." You realize the card is not likely to be available for another 3 years or so.
Ok.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Jeff

This Net54er would have taken a hike after he raised his original price by 60%.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 09-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I voted

I voted to request a return and wait. I have been waiting since I started collecting for a few types, so waiting a few years should be a cake walk. That being said, I know I would probably want the card too, Bob, so I am right there with you, but alas, I think I would wait. Or of course you could request a partial refund, while at the same time giving the seller the opportunity to suggest a remedy too?

oh yeah, I don't like the 60% increase either..

Last edited by Leon; 09-14-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Jon Canfield

Ups the price after and agreed upon price? Return it.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Steve

I voted to request a return. I'm also confused as to how he upped the price by 60%...that sounds irritating, to say the least.

Steve
Old 09-14-2011, 10:08 PM
qu@n nguy3n

seems like u really want the card still. agree upon a new price for the A card or request a refund since the card was not as advertised.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
or request a refund since the card was not as advertised.
We don't know how the card was advertised. The OP didn't mention it.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
We don't know how the card was advertised. The OP didn't mention it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
You agree and buy the card which appears vg+ to vgex after the seller ups the price 60% from his original figure he gave you. You still agree. The card is received and sent to SGC which grades it as "authentic." You realize the card is not likely to be available for another 3 years or so.
Ok.
if tbob knowingly bought a recolored card for 160% this thread would not happen
Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Clayton

Default Send it back IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
+1

I chose to request a return, if one finally came around there will be another. Please keep us updated on the final outcome, I'd love to find out how the seller handled this situation (unless you choose to keep it, of course).

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 09-15-2011, 02:30 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Default Send It Back

I also voted to request a return, but I'm guessing that if we're dealing with someone who would jack the price up by any amount let alone 60% after a deal was struck then the return request would likely have the chances of a snowball in Hell.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:15 AM
pete ullman

If it's the "last" card in the set...I'd chalk it up to lesson learned...and move on. You seem to have other Grade A cards in your collection...so what's 1 more?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'd just let it go.

But then, I wouldn't be asking to buy it off Ebay anyway so I wouldn't be in that sort of spot. Karma?

Steve B
Old 09-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
+1

This Net54'er would have run away!
Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
if tbob knowingly bought a recolored card for 160% this thread would not happen
I'm quite sure he wouldn't have knowingly bought a recolored card. You statement was "...request a refund since the card was not as advertised." You are ASSuming the card was advertised in a given condition.

For all we know, the seller may have described it "looks authentic, but I can't guarantee it will grade numerically."

Since the card was originally listed on eBay, it shouldn't be too hard to link the original listing.

Edited to add: I chose the last option. The first and last option are really the same, only worded differently. Looks like the majority of us would just eat it and move on.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 09-15-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Alan U

I guess I would have to know if the 60% was $6 or $600 to opine on that issue.

If you aren't happy with the card request a return, if you are still satisfied with the card for your collection, request a partial refund, knowing that you might have to return the card or keep it at the higher price.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:27 PM
M!ke S@il£r

I'd keep it. When the same card becomes available in another 3-5 years, you can always upgrade and sell the authentic card for portion of what you paid. Consider it cardboard rent.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:53 PM

Mike that's probably what I am going to do. To clarify things, sorry I was typing originally in stream of conciousness style, he said he would sell the card for $500. I agreed. He then sent an email that he was sorry, he didn't realize the card was so rare and said he would have to get $800 for it. I agreed again.
Obviously I didn't know the card was recolored. The dark border was "touched up," according to SGC. When I paid for the item I asked that he guarantee the card was authentic since there are so many counterfeits in this set (T200 Fatima) floating around. He did. The card IS authentic. I am glad I got the card as my set is now complete. I don't mean to sound like I am bitching, I merely wondered what my fellow collectors would do in this situation. There was a front and back scan provided.
I tried to find the original listing but apparently they disappear when an item is cancelled for sale. Again, there were no bids on the item when the agreement was struck if that means anything to anyone.
I am not thrilled about seeing cards I am interested in and bidding on "disappear" off ebay but when you wait several years (and a couple of Nationals) and can't find one, I think many of you would have jumped at the chance too. In Chicago I ran in to 3 other collectors hunting the card. Aggravating. Bottom line, I am ok with an authentic card for the set (it looks like an SGC 50 without the recoloration of the borders) so I will keep it.

Last edited by tbob; 09-15-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default BoB

Hey Bob
I have rarely seen such an evenly divided debate as this one. I guess you should have stated that you wanted it to grade numerically and that it wasn't altered. Most of us have made that mistake before. It's a shame though.....anyway, you have the card and that sounds like the most important thing to you at this time. take care and thanks for the nice, friendly discussion/debate....
Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 PM

Default Thanks Leon

Having decided to keep the card, I sent an email to the seller today asking for a partial refund (25%). He politely sent an email pointing out he didn't know the card's borders were recolored and doesn't like or believe in the grading companies in general. He also mentioned that the card was G/VG in its description (I missed that somehow) and so it was a good deal based on its SMR. He also pointed out that had it been graded SGC 50, I wouldn't have sent him the difference in value from G/VG to VGEX. Oh well, I tried.....
Thanks everyone for responding!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default well

Well Bob....I know you didn't ask, but I think your seller is more full of crap than a Thanksgiving Turkey. When anyone sells something, in my opinion, there is an implied warranty that it is not altered in any way unless the seller states it in the description.

btw, who cares if he knew or not.....and a gd/vg card is not an altered card....sheesh...

Last edited by Leon; 09-15-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:43 PM
qu@n nguy3n

what's the seller id so i can tell him to put me on his blocked bidder list...

also funny a guy who doesn't like TPG would be quoting SMRs.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 09-15-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Ron Rice

Default Altered card

The guy may have known the card was altered. Don't just let this go. I agree with asking for some consideration, either to return the card or to get the 25% refund. Very reasonable approach.

I've found sellers on ebay to be reasonable if the card is not as described. If you paid by paypal you could file a dispute and get your money back if the guy doesn't want to be reasonable.

I wouldn't want to look at a card in my collection and not enjoy it...