NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-05-2017, 07:34 PM

Default E95 Plank--PWCC auction

I waited for this auction to end, but I certainly hope that the winner of this lot does not mind an altered card for $700 (despite their claim that it is undergraded)--just look at his uniform--or gets his/her money back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-E95-Phi...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is very disappointing, as I pointed this issue out to the seller no fewer than 4 times, and they said they would "look into it."

This is as much a TPG issue as it is an auction issue and is sad, IMO. The auction should have been cancelled or at least edited. I don't like to see anyone taken advantage of, ever.

Bri@n.D.y.n.l.a.c.h.t
Old 07-05-2017, 07:43 PM
pete ullman

Wowsers!!!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:01 PM
Scott

Talk about putting the "A" in Plank!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
Talk about putting the "A" in Plank!
So is the proper grade MK or AUTH?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:00 PM

If it had been graded with "MK", I think that would be accurate, I guess. But one could make the argument for "Auth", too. Please don't get me started on grading issues.....
Brian
Old 07-06-2017, 05:03 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Personally I think it might be a "variation", it doesn't look like someone
drew that on there to me. I haven't found an A's logo that looks like
it yet but here are some different ones in the T206 set,
A's.jpg
A's 2.jpg
A's 3.jpg
A's 4.jpg
Old 07-05-2017, 08:07 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I will confess to not seeing it at first, but once I did, well...I am speechless. This scares me honestly in that I am making the effort to learn prewar and begin collecting it. Education about what I am considering buying goes into that. Part of that education is not a blind reliance on TPGs. In the past, like a lot of collectors, there have been probably a few times that I didn't do my homework because a card was in a TPG slab, and I let them do my work for me. I could have been burned as a result, and I would have deserved it. Delving into prewar has forced me to really try and "know" the cards. This is a Grade A example of why.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2017, 08:15 PM
D@le Irv*n

I assume this is what it is suppose to look like, even though it's another PSA graded one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1909-e95-philadelphia-caramel-eddie-plank-21501.jpg (77.6 KB, 868 views)
Old 07-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Banned

heavens to Betsy!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:28 PM

Default E95 Plank-PWCC auction

Yes, Irv. Nice card!

While it is true that a buyer should know what a card looks like before he/she plunks down $700, not everyone is born knowing what this card should look like, except maybe Leon (hi, Leon).

But this does not, IMO, excuse someone like the seller who has literally handled thousands of pre-war cards. Just sayin'.

Bri@n.D.y.n.l.a.c.h.t
Old 07-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Outstanding Plank with wonderful eye appeal for the grade. Boasts EXMT centering with well formed corners for the grade. The color and focus are deserving of a much higher grade. Deserving of attention.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yes, Irv. Nice card!

While it is true that a buyer should know what a card looks like before he/she plunks down $700, not everyone is born knowing what this card should look like, except maybe Leon (hi, Leon).

But this does not, IMO, excuse someone like the seller who has literally handled thousands of pre-war cards. Just sayin'.

Bri@n.D.y.n.l.a.c.h.t
Brian, I got the picture from PSA's own site. I wish the card were mine!
https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...ie-plank/15673
Old 07-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I see the staining and the letter A, but I don't understand exactly why you are saying it is altered. Do you mean it should have an (st or mk) qualifier? I am curious for my own edification. Here is a side-by-side of the card you are referring to (left) with Irv's card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F5FCE73F-9642-4810-882E-688B6F526315.jpg (63.1 KB, 845 views)

Last edited by orly57; 07-06-2017 at 01:04 PM.