NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Default What is this?

Posted By: Robert

Maybe I am missing something here,but you run an auction for five days and then end it 8 minutes before it is to end and say the item is no long for sale? What is this crap? I guess it did not go high enough for the seller? But you never know how much someone snipping it at is bidding on it. This is not the first time I have seen this seller do this. I think by putting an item up for auction is a contract just like if somebody won is in a contract to pay for the item. You should have though about selling or not selling before listing the item. I do not think just because the item is not doing well gives a seller the right to stop it early [that is what putting a reserve on an item is for]. Just my opinion. Rob

Old 01-15-2003, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default What is this?

Posted By: jay behrens

One recourse is to report it to eBay. If he isn't a powerseller, then there is a chance that they will do something about.

I may be wrong, but I didn't think you could cancell auction with less 12 hours left.

Jay

Old 01-15-2003, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Default What is this?

Posted By: Scott M

I don't know what auction your refering to, but I agree with the general premise. A couple of times I've made an effort to be able to get to a computer the last day that an item was being offered only to find the item "no longer available for sale". I'd rather they posted that the item was no longer for sale, because at that point the seller has the item but has chosen a different course for selling the item.

I expect to honor any bid I place for an item and feel that the seller has made a similar decision once the item is placed up for bid. It isn't the not getting or being able to bid on the item that upsets me - its that the seller is basically saying that my time is not worth anything. I'm sure that sellers receive many inquiries about items including potential trades that seem lucrative, but I still believe that the seller has already made the decision when the item is placed for bid.

Unfortunately, if your upset - the only recourse is basically to express your disappointment through not bidder on that seller's items in the future. I personally don't take this approach, though I almost sent an email to a seller recently to express my disappointment when an item was pulled. I was in an Eastern Bloc country and had literally caught a cab to my hotel to be able to get onto the internet and put in a bid (if needed) for an item. I incurred (ridiculous) telephone charges to connect only to find out the item was no longer available. I then took a cab back to go to dinner.

Now I know this is the exception - but if the situation were reversed - ie I've been travelling and decided to buy some crystal vases for my mother's birthday instead of that card I won from you last week - then we could expect the seller to raise holy heck that I'm a "deadbeat" buyer. It works (should) both ways.

Old 01-15-2003, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Default What is this?

Posted By: T206Monsta

Please provide a link.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Default What is this?

Posted By: Robert

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=1988154979

Old 01-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Default What is this?

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

The seller could simply say "lighting struck it and it burned up" or "my dog crapped on it".

What's eBay going to do? Get a warrant to search the seller's house? Not likely...

And, they have no "proof" of wrongdoing...besides, even when they do have proof of direct eBay violations (like BR's shill bidding) they do nothing to the offender...especially if it's one of god's chosen powersellers.

Fact is, sometimes sellers will put something up on eBay just to "run it by the market" to get an "idea" of what the market might bear for it.

If they aren't happy with the price it's getting, they'll yank the auction. This way, they're only out a listing fee, anf aren't out the additional fees for setting a reserve, or higher minimum bid.