NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Default Old Judge accuracy?

Posted By: Jeff S

I am currently reading the SABR publication "How to Do Baseball Research" and came across the following tidbit:

"in 1991...various encyclopedias listed pitcher Harry Gruber ... as throwing with his left hand. However, examination of a photo of Gruber from an N-172 Old Judge cabinet card clearly shows the nineteenth-century hurler to be a right-hander. ...various encyclopedias made the change..."

Besides the fact that an Old Judge cabinet is an N173, are Old Judge photos to be trusted? I mean, photographers probably had to make the players stand in a throwing position for minutes at a time--and the shot was certainly not part of any real-time pitching motion, like a modern-day card would be. I don't trust my Brouthers cards to give me a picture of how Big Dan really clubbed those home runs, and I'm not willing to bet that Whitney had a dog. It seems like really flimsy evidence on which to base such a claim.

What do you think?

Old 01-13-2003, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I don't follow the Old Judges as closely as many here. Offhand, I would think the player would pose using his correct arm. But, as you noted, they were staged poses with stuff like balls hanging by strings, rugs posing as grass and paper plates posing as bases, so you never know. Who knows, maybe the card is a 'UER Reverse Negative', though I would think that's unlikely.

Old 01-13-2003, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Whitney probably had a dog but you might be right about your other hypothesis -- it would not have been unfathomable for a camera operator to tell a batter or pitcher to "turn toward the light" or to otherwise change his "natural" pose so as to acquiesce the photographer and his props.

Old 01-13-2003, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

The Old Judge cards most likely portray the players in their natural positions. Since, I think, there is a card of righty-hitting King Kelly batting lefty, I suppose the possibility does exist that the players could have been posed by the photographer in an unnatural position for some reason.

Not unlike some well-known modern-day situations, the possibility also exists that the players posed unnaturally on their own to play a trick on the photographer.

I find some of the poses in the Old Judge set to be so awkward or odd that they can certainly be ambiguous. The card I own of John Weyhing could certainly make you believe that the supposed lefty pitcher was a right-hander.

Old 01-13-2003, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Jeff---Interesting question. Looking at the listing of Gruber poses he has two poses where he is in a pitching motion(I am not counting hands at chest). In both of those poses he is delivering as a righty. I would guess that it is less likely that both would be posed "wrong".
As to Whitney with dog, legend has it that inclusion of the dog in the photo was meant to be a joke. The dog was an image of faithfulness at the time and Whitney was the type of player who jumped from team to team. Thus, the contrast was the humor.
The classic joke card was McGreachery-Manager Indianapolis. There was no McGreachery who ever managed Indianapolis. The photo is that of Deacon White. The card, which as far as I know is unique, is pictured in Lew's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards.

Old 01-13-2003, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

but maybe it was boredom, light, or humor.

Interesting about the dog! certainly is a friendly little cuss; I'd always assumed it belonged to the player. Anyone know about McGuire's and Giambi's dogs on same cover?

Old 01-13-2003, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Old 01-13-2003, 11:35 AM
Administrator

I think falsely batting as a switch hitter is one thing, as you can look fairly normal posing from the wrong side. However, I would think that the normal pitcher would not want to pose throwing with his correct arm. This is for the same reason we don't throw with our weak arms when there's a crowd wathing. Far worse than the ball not going far or being inaccurate, you might 'look like a girl.' I doubt that someone like Amos Ruse or Chas. Radbourne would take a chance on that. I'm sure Hoss considered himself a big man, and wanted to make sure that all those Old Judge smokers knew it too.

Old 01-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Administrator

<< would not want to pose throwing with his correct arm >>

CORRECTION: would not want to pose throwing with his INCORRECT arm??

(Yes, I also know mispelled Rusie. Get off my back, Elliot)

Old 01-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Before anyone beats me to the punch: I think Radbourne might have pitched both lefty and right, so he may have not been the best example to use.

Old 01-13-2003, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Old 01-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

When photographing French people I always ask them to say "fromage" so that their mouths will look natural in the final print.