NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2018, 07:50 AM

Default Satchel Paige Tulsa Oilers Card

New member to Net54 who looks forward to learning more about some of the items left to me by my dad as well as items I've collected. In particular, came across both a signed and unsigned Satchel Paige Tulsa Oilers card and would like to authenticate the signature and understand the value of both the signed and unsigned card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Satchel Card Signed A IMG_2050.jpg (40.9 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg Satchel Card Unsigned IMG_2047.jpg (27.2 KB, 397 views)
Old 12-13-2018, 08:19 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

A JSA certified signed one sold on ebay in October with 3 bids for $300

So would assume signed would be for less and a unsigned one $50-100 give or take.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-13-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:27 AM

Signature looks strange to me.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:42 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Here's an example of Satchel Paige's autograph for comparison.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 12-13-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Signature looks strange to me.
I have no opinion either way, as I am not a signature guy. But I always wonder when someone says a signature "doesn't look right," do people take into consideration how a signature can change over a lifetime? I doubt many 70 year olds' signatures look the way they did when they were 30. My wife was recently commenting that her signature at age 50 is very different than it was 20 years ago. People offer hot takes on signatures and I've often thought about the ravages of time (not to mention arthritis, broken bones, a stroke, etc.) will have on signatures over the course of a lifetime.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:05 PM

I thought it looks strange because there are many examples of this same signed card but I didn't think it matched up with what I've seen before. Also every example of this card would have to be signed after issue and as you can see from the photo, Paige was an old guy to begin with. He only lived another 6 years after it was issued.

Last edited by packs; 12-13-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:15 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I thought it looks strange because there are many examples of this same signed card but I didn't think it matched up with what I've seen before. Also every example of this card would have to be signed after issue and as you can see from the photo, Paige was an old guy to begin with. He only lived another 6 years after it was issued.
That all makes sense. Was just wondering as a general proposition if there is a general bias that signatures don't materially change over a lifetime.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Here's my Satchel Paige auto. Just sent to PSA. Fingers crossed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 11.25.45 AM.jpg (10.8 KB, 250 views)

Last edited by rdwyer; 12-13-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:31 PM
Rhett Yeakley

For those that collect Minor League team sets this is one of the most famous sets of the 1970’s. It included a signed Satchel Paige and a signed Paul “Daffy” Dean card along with a full set of cards of the Tulsa Oilers team that were unsigned. I have a set at home and every set I have seen that is authentic had them signed before distribution and both Dean and Paige signed with a blue sharpie/felt tip. I will have recheck my full set when I get home but I have never seen one of the Paige cards signed in the way yours was. That isn’t to say somebody couldn’t have had an unsigned card signed by Paige. I am always skeptical of this card when I do not see the rest of the set with it.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 12-13-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Al

Rhett is absolutely right - the Paige and Dean cards were signed. They're actually rare to find UNSIGNED. Every signature I've seen has been felt tip.

I'm less concerned than Rhett when I see the card alone without the rest of the set, because after all this time, a lot of the Paige cards have been separated from their (relatively worthless) set, and sold individually. But the card is plentiful enough that I'd avoid this one.

-Al

Last edited by Al C.risafulli; 12-13-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:56 PM
Al

By way of comparison, here's one I sold a couple of years ago that originated from a large collection in San Antonio.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:45 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Rhett is absolutely right - the Paige and Dean cards were signed. They're actually rare to find UNSIGNED. Every signature I've seen has been felt tip.

I'm less concerned than Rhett when I see the card alone without the rest of the set, because after all this time, a lot of the Paige cards have been separated from their (relatively worthless) set, and sold individually. But the card is plentiful enough that I'd avoid this one.

-Al
At the time, and I've read enough SCD's and TTS to confirm this, the Dean and Paul cards were issued as being signed. I would wager 99 percent of them will fly through TPG's

Rich
Old 12-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Default Satchel Paige Tulsa Oilers

Thanks one and all for your insights and consideration regarding the legitimacy of the Satchel Paige signature. Given I have one unsigned card and there's the likelihood that there were other unsigned cards issued that perhaps were signed post original issue would you recommend that I have the signature authenticated, and if so, by whom would you all suggest.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

PSA pop report only lists 1, a PSA 1. Yet we just saw Al's 5, and there is an Authentic on ebay now. What the ...

Oh I see they list autos separately. Still not very many. 6 total.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-14-2018 at 07:07 PM.