NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-10-2018, 08:00 PM
J1m Ch@pman

Default New Discovery - 1911 Philadelphia Athletics RPPC set

I wanted to share with everyone what I believe to be a newly discovered Deadball Era RPPC set. It was issued by John Haworth Company, a camera and film store based in Philadelphia, and depicts members of Philadelphia Athletics during their 1911 championship campaign.

Haworths actively promoted the use of the then recent invention of the personal camera, particularly the Kodak versions and the Velox brand of real photo postcard paper. Here is a marketing postcard they issued in 1911 with a real photo and pre-printed advertising front and back. Clearly producing RPPCs for the public was squarely in their wheelhouse.

Haworth-crowd-front.jpg

Haworth-ad-pc-back.jpg

Haworth's first foray into baseball RPPCs that I can find came in 1909. Here is an ad that appeared in the August 8th edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Haworth ad Phil Inq 8-8-09.jpg

It describes a display photo depicting a crowd at the Tigers/Athletics game earlier that year. Note it states that a photograph postcard of the image would be given to fans free at the store for two days. Here is that postcard. Particular thanks to Brian Dwyer and REA for going over and above to help me locate and acquire this RPPC.

152-circa-1910-bleachers-crowd-athletic-detroit-game-real-photo-postcard.jpg

152-circa-1910-bleachers-crowd-athletic-detroit-game-real-photo-postcard-2.jpg

The back description of the scene coincides perfectly with the description in the ad. The printed script is similar to the previous RPPC ad. It is remarkable that such an obscure crowd pose RPPC still exists and found its way into the hobby.

But now for the newly discovered set. Here are the two known postcards, and the only known copy of each, in the set that have surfaced to date.

Lapp

Jack-Lapp-RPPC-front.jpg

Jack-Lapp-RPPC-back.jpg

and Coombs

Haworth-Coombs-front.jpg

Haworth-Coombs-back.jpg

Note the Velox back is the same as the other earlier Hayworth RPPCs and note the date of the posted Lapp RPPC during the 1911 World Series. Note the compliments of Haworth's bug with "Kodaks" in the center. My guess these were issued for a few days only to commemorate the Athtletics' World Championship. To my eye they are some of the most beautiful RPPCs from the Deadball Era, their combination of the real photo and the color splotch advertising bug is quite distinctive.

These are the only two known cards in the set, but I find it very difficult to believe there are not other players that were produced. A Haworth Chief Bender would be my dream RPPC! Has anyone else ever seen other cards in this set? I would be interested in any information anyone can add and it goes without saying I would love to acquire more of these Hayworth RPPCs.

Last edited by T206Jim; 12-11-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:23 PM

That’s pretty cool Jim. Sorry I have no information I can add so I thought I would bump this up again for others.

Rob M
Old 12-11-2018, 12:40 AM
Bob Andrews

My goodness, these are terrific! BTW...I'd crawl a mile over hot rocks to find a Bender like this. Can't imagine what it would cost me.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:05 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Great research as always Jim! Hope this helps to uncover more examples.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:20 AM
J1m Ch@pman

Bob, it sounds like you may have some Benders that I need to talk you out of!
Old 12-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice write up, Jim. Good luck on finding more...
Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Jim View Post
I wanted to share with everyone what I believe to be a newly discovered Deadball Era RPPC set. It was issued by John Haworth Company, a camera and film store based in Philadelphia, and depicts members of Philadelphia Athletics during their 1911 championship campaign.

Haworths actively promoted the use of the then recent invention of the personal camera, particularly the Kodak versions and the Velox brand of real photo postcard paper. Here is a marketing postcard they issued in 1911 with a real photo and pre-printed advertising front and back. Clearly producing RPPCs for the public was squarely in their wheelhouse.

Attachment 336984

Attachment 336985

Haworth's first foray into baseball RPPCs that I can find came in 1909. Here is an ad that appeared in the August 8th edition of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Attachment 336986

It describes a display photo depicting a crowd at the Tigers/Athletics game earlier that year. Note it states that a photograph postcard of the image would be given to fans free at the store for two days. Here is that postcard. Particular thanks to Brian Dwyer and REA for going over and above to help me locate and acquire this RPPC.

Attachment 336987

Attachment 336988

The back description of the scene coincides perfectly with the description in the ad. The printed script is similar to the previous RPPC ad. It is remarkable that such an obscure crowd pose RPPC still exists and found its way into the hobby.

But now for the newly discovered set. Here are the two known postcards, and the only known copy of each, in the set that have surfaced to date.

Lapp

Attachment 336989

Attachment 336990

and Coombs

Attachment 336991

Attachment 336992

Note the Velox back is the same as the other earlier Hayworth RPPCs and note the date of the posted Lapp RPPC during the 1911 World Series. Note the compliments of Haworth's bug with "Kodaks" in the center. My guess these were issued for a few days only to commemorate the Athtletics' World Championship. To my eye they are some of the most beautiful RPPCs from the Deadball Era, their combination of the real photo and the color splotch advertising bug is quite distinctive.

These are the only two known cards in the set, but I find it very difficult to believe there are not other players that were produced. A Haworth Chief Bender would be my dream RPPC! Has anyone else ever seen other cards in this set? I would be interested in any information anyone can add and it goes without saying I would love to acquire more of these Hayworth RPPCs.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:54 PM
J1m Ch@pman

I found this period photo envelope from Haworths that shows the store with the "Kodaks" logo sign that appears in the same font on the RPPCs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haworth envelope.jpg (79.4 KB, 277 views)
Old 12-28-2018, 02:55 PM

Great research
Old 01-20-2019, 10:53 AM
J1m Ch@pman

I would be glad to reframe these if there are any more out there!

Haworths framed.jpg
Old 01-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Peter F

Came out great Jim. Hope you have a need to reframe at some point.