NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 PM

Default Help w/ID - Baseball pachinko/pinball game

I am having a tough time identifying this handheld baseball game. I am hoping someone here could shed some light on it.

I will be selling it, just want some info to describe it.

It is 2 1/2" wide and 4 1/4" long and about 3/8" thick. The frame is made of under-finished wood. The piece which covers the game surface is glass. The backing is of a cardboard which seems to be about half the thickness of a standard Topps baseball card. The ball launching lever device is a spring loaded (I think) shaped piece of light tin-like metal.

The game seems hastily assembled. The glass is well fixed into the game, but does not cover the entire playing area. There are gaps between the wood frame and glass edge. Also, the wood frame pieces, although cut to fit, were assembled in way which doesn't quite make a perfect rectangle. There looks to be remnants of a sticker which was affixed to the bottom, front area.

I am thinking that many of these games simply fell apart with use. Not sure how this one stayed intact, but it is holding up well.

The object is to launch the BB size ball into one of the three tin cups which are the bases. The cups are 30, 50 or 100 points.

The game surface shows four cartoon players -a fielder, a runner, a pitcher and a batter. One is wearing a jersey which reads TOKYO. The field is a yellow diamond on green grass.

Please check out the pics and let me know what you think.

I haven't been able to stump you guys yet.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 AM

Hi -- there's actually no single exact or complete answer to this one -- your game is one of about a dozen very similar variations
of a Japanese-made game of uncertain date.
Some have wooden frames such as yours, some have metal frames. The details of the uniforms worn by the cherubic players
vary from one version to the next, and in one variation a couple of the boys are girls, although the placement and poses
are the same in all versions.
The lower front of the game usually has a glued-on paper decoration (the remnants of the sticker you're seeing), featuring several
horizontal colored bands, illustrated with either cartoon kids or cartoon animals depicted as tagging infielder and sliding baserunner,
a title like Base Ball Game or Pinball Game, and there's usually (but not always) a manufacturer's logo in the center.
A variety of different logos have been seen, but the several experts on Japanese toys that we've consulted have been unable
to positively identify any one of them as belonging to any known toy company.
That last thing makes putting a precise date to any of the versions impossible. We've seen some vendors attribute them to the 1930s
or even 1920s, but our guess (just a guess) is that most are 1950s-1960s vintage.
With a little patience, it's not very difficult to find any of the variations on eBay.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yup, these are all over the place... not rare by any means. Probably a few are available on ebay right now.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I now have enough info to Ebay it!