NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Mike Henry
Mi.ke Hen.ry

Default Help with In Home Display

Hi folks, my wife was kind enough to give me a room in our finished basement to display my baseball cards/memorabilia/art and guitars. It's a pretty small room measuring roughly 14' x 11'. The only natural light comes from a glass black window measuring 20" x 35". I believe it's standard glass block. Even at the brightest point of the day, you would still want to turn on the lights to really look at anything up close.

Here's my question: Do I need to be concerned about having any of my baseball stuff on the wall opposite the window? I am planning on using staggered display shelves to show off my cards (most of which are slabbed) and I'm not sure how I plan to show my bats and autographed baseballs. With the small size of the window and the glass block, do I need to be concerned about the impact of the light on my memorabilia?

I would really appreciate anyone's insight.

Thanks,
Mike

Always buying and selling everything prewar, ESPECIALLY TY COBB, and also 1950s cards.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:18 PM
Anson

If the display isn't getting direct sunlight, you're probably ok. That being said, I would be more concerned with anything raw, autographs, and your guitars (humidity, mold, etc..). If the basement is truly finished, it's probably not a big deal.

Last edited by Throttlesteer; 03-03-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Mike

No direct light, in fact no natural light is best. Leave room black unless using it. Need a dehumidifier if using a basement and leave nothing on the floor in case of water damage. Can't be to moist or to dry. Use UV block cases if possible for balls etc. Don't have any of those tube fluorescent lights in the room, they can damage all autographs etc.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1. The only thing on my office wall, a large photo, is way away from any direct light. IT would almost be a shame not to display it though. When I first got it I had it very professionally matted and framed, with uv resistant glass and everything. Other stuff in my office, which is less valuable, still doesn't get direct sunlight at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
No direct light, in fact no natural light is best. Leave room black unless using it. Need a dehumidifier if using a basement and leave nothing on the floor in case of water damage. Can't be to moist or to dry. Use UV block cases if possible for balls etc. Don't have any of those tube fluorescent lights in the room, they can damage all autographs etc.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:41 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

If I were you I would get a black out curtain for that window and just rely on the fixture for light. Best case scenario is the room is pitch black (or close to it) when not in use.

Last edited by conor912; 03-06-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:07 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1 Very good idea that seems like a great solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
If I were you I would get a black out curtain for that window and just rely on the fixture for light. Best case scenario is the room is pitch black (or close to it) when not in use.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Just for clarification, I have a framed display of some cards, and the cards are never in direct light, but they are in a room that gets natural light from the bedroom window, that is not safe, unless the glass to the framed display is UV protected?

Last edited by TheNightmanCometh; 03-09-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
Just for clarification, I have a framed display of some cards, and the cards are never in direct light, but they are in a room that gets natural light from the bedroom window, that is not safe, unless the glass to the framed display is UV protected?
I am not an expert by any means but I would say if you have something really valuable you might want it protected from indirect sunlight. My photo on my wall uses uv protective glass. The other stuff, I don't care quite as much about but of course, still no direct sun, ever.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am not an expert by any means but I would say if you have something really valuable you might want it protected from indirect sunlight. My photo on my wall uses uv protective glass. The other stuff, I don't care quite as much about but of course, still no direct sun, ever.
Thanks, Leon.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Mike Henry
Mi.ke Hen.ry

Thanks for all the input. Let me throw out another variable. I will be displaying my cards in the same room as my guitars. Optimal relative humidity for guitars is 40%-50%. I'm having some difficulty finding optimal relative humidity for baseball cards, but I've seen a couple of suggestions of 35%-50%. Does that sound about right? I hope so - makes it easier to take care of them both.

Always buying and selling everything prewar, ESPECIALLY TY COBB, and also 1950s cards.