NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Stephen Benzel

Default Cubs Postcard / Steve Melter?

One of my wins from the 12/3 REA auction. A great panorama of the 1908 Chicago/New York game at the Polo Grounds to decide the pennant.

The writing and postmark on the back are interesting. Someone named "Steve" writes to Ralph Bock indicating he is "out of the game for the rest of the season." Then there is a notation at the top, which appears to have been added later, that the postcard is from Steve Melter, pitcher for St. Louis, having played in NY Sep 1-2-3. The postmark is Sep 7, 1909.

The Cardinals did indeed play in NY Sep 1-3, 1909, and Steve Melter was on the roster. However, Melter was not out for the season. He didn't pitch in NY, but he pitched later in September and also October. Didn't pitch again after 1909.

It's possible Melter sent this postcard given the info, but it seems a little speculative, unless the note writer had some other info not shown here. Could have been another Steve playing ball in NY in Sep 1909. Anyone have any Steve Melter handwriting examples?

Last edited by Shankweather; 12-04-2023 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2023, 12:42 PM
Jay Cee

That was my consignment and a great card. You got it at a great value BTW. Interesting correspondence on the back as I never read that.
Old 12-05-2023, 07:38 AM
Stephen Benzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
That was my consignment and a great card. You got it at a great value BTW. Interesting correspondence on the back as I never read that.
I love the card, and I'm definitely happy with the price. A huge moment in Cubs history.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:03 AM

Do some newspapers.com (or similar site) research to see what players named Steve may have broken an ankle that season. There's a free access site that carries scans of Sporting Life. Try that. https://digital.la84.org/digital/col...3coll17/search

As to Melter's autograph, I only have one--from his 1918 WWI draft registration. It's signed with his full name. The "Steve" on yours doesn't really match up with the Stephen on the card. His middle name started with a B, which slightly matches up with the capital B in the address. Same with the capital M. Maybe, maybe not; not enough to say one way or the other.

Keep in mind that I can't tie him to Superior, WI in my very basic searching. Doesn't look like he ever played there. He was born in IA and was still living there as of 1918. Died in IN.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 12-05-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:19 AM
Stephen Benzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
Do some newspapers.com (or similar site) research to see what players named Steve may have broken an ankle that season. There's a free access site that carries scans of Sporting Life. Try that. https://digital.la84.org/digital/col...3coll17/search

As to Melter's autograph, I only have one--from his 1918 WWI draft registration. It's signed with his full name. The "Steve" on yours doesn't really match up with the Stephen on the card. His middle name started with a B, which slightly matches up with the capital B in the address. Same with the capital M. Maybe, maybe not; not enough to say one way or the other.

Keep in mind that I can't tie him to Superior, WI in my very basic searching. Doesn't look like he ever played there. He was born in IA and was still living there as of 1918. Died in IN.
That’s helpful! I couldn’t figure that word out but now I see it’s ankle. I doubt he was able to pitch eight more times that year with a broken ankle. And I can’t believe you actually have a Melter autograph, Net54 never fails.

The Wisconsin part probably doesn’t matter. That’s the address of the man he was writing to.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:27 AM

I don't actually own the autograph--in fact, it doesn't even exist anymore! It's a microfiche copy of his WWI draft registration. The original burned in an Atlanta fire about 50 years ago, along with those of every other American who completed the WWI registration.

When you see an address on personal correspondence from a player this far back, there's usually a tie-in that you can find which connects the dots to what would seem an unrelated geographic location. Most of the time, they had spent time playing in that town, or the letter is addressed to a teammate from that town. Of course, this isn't always the case, but I find it happens more often than not. Can't find any record of the recipient being a player at any professional level.

Good luck with your research, and please keep us apprised!