NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-03-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
this is the way reporters are today. NOBODY reports the true story anymore, it's too hard to gather the facts. The reporters that are left are complete boob idiots
They would rather be first than right. If you take the time to do the research, someone else might scoop you.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:27 AM
Anson

This just keeps going. After watching this video, there can't be any doubt in anyone's mind that this is fake. I guess his play is to hold onto it and convince his neighbors he's a big shot. He wouldn't dare send it to PSA or SGC, let alone to an auction house.

https://bakersfieldnow.com/news/loca...babe-ruth-card
Old 04-19-2019, 11:44 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
They would rather be first than right. If you take the time to do the research, someone else might scoop you.
I think they treat it as a 'human interest story.' The next day's story may have been about a retiree who runs a kitten charity.

There's so much eyerolling bullshit to this story it's difficult to know where to start. But, for a starter, do I believe a baseball card shop had this card in the display for $2? No, I do not.

Last edited by drcy; 04-19-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:30 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The truth wouldn't be as good of a story with the headline-

Guy Buys $2 Babe Ruth Card for $2

Last edited by Leon; 04-19-2019 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Barry Sloate

1929 Babe Ruth rookie card? It's not from 1929, it wouldn't be his rookie, and where did he get the story that Shotwell made a single proof and that's it? Don't facts count any more?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
1929 Babe Ruth rookie card? It's not from 1929, it wouldn't be his rookie, and where did he get the story that Shotwell made a single proof and that's it? Don't facts count any more?
Deleted

Last edited by Sean; 04-19-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:22 PM

From the article:

He bought the card for on sale for 80% off, paying just $2. The store employee said he couldn't tell if it was worth anything because he couldn't identify the company name on the back of the card.

"We couldn't find it anywhere. Six, seven, eight days of searching the card, we were running into the same thing this old man was running into," Ball said.

So he dug even deeper and started googling the history of the Shotwell logo.

The more this guy talks about the card, the more holes appear in his story (I realize we all know it's a fake). So I just did a quick Google search of "shotwell babe ruth" and the first 2 hits told me all I need to know about the card. The first 2 links led me to the PSA CardFacts pages for the Ruth card and the Shotwell set.

"The 1921 Shotwell baseball set appears to be one of the scarcest in existence with only three cards known to exist - Babe Ruth, Babe Doll Jacobson and George Dauss."

It seems strange that both the card shop owner and the new owner spent 6, 7, practically 8 DAYS searching and couldn't find anything about the company name.

Also, if the card is indeed "one of a kind", how do you explain the PSA 1.5 that already exists?

I guess it's good entertainment.

€hu¢k W0£f

Last edited by CW; 04-19-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:53 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
From the article:

He bought the card for on sale for 80% off, paying just $2. The store employee said he couldn't tell if it was worth anything because he couldn't identify the company name on the back of the card.

"We couldn't find it anywhere. Six, seven, eight days of searching the card, we were running into the same thing this old man was running into," Ball said.

So he dug even deeper and started googling the history of the Shotwell logo.

The more this guy talks about the card, the more holes appear in his story (I realize we all know it's a fake). So I just did a quick Google search of "shotwell babe ruth" and the first 2 hits told me all I need to know about the card. The first 2 links led me to the PSA CardFacts pages for the Ruth card and the Shotwell set.

"The 1921 Shotwell baseball set appears to be one of the scarcest in existence with only three cards known to exist - Babe Ruth, Babe Doll Jacobson and George Dauss."

It seems strange that both the card shop owner and the new owner spent 6, 7, practically 8 DAYS searching and couldn't find anything about the company name.

Also, if the card is indeed "one of a kind", how do you explain the PSA 1.5 that already exists?

I guess it's good entertainment.

€hu¢k W0£f
We know it's all BS, the owner knows it's all BS. The only one in the dark is the local television station.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:40 PM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
From the article:

The more this guy talks about the card, the more holes appear in his story (I realize we all know it's a fake).

€hu¢k W0£f
He called the shop I was working at (at the time) and said his grandmother left him the card. This was before the news outlets picked it up. So, yes, the man is full of a lot of it.

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War
Jackie, Ruth, Cobb, Tickets, Type 1 Photos, Trout

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Successful Net54 Transactions: 10