NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-06-2013, 06:53 AM

Default Let's see your RMY Auction wins!

I managed to pick up two cool ones that match my collection well:

1) Louis Van Oeyen Type I of HB Dutch Leonard in 1916
This is a perfect compliment to my 1916 Dutch Leonard no-hit game ball that I own.

2) An iconic 1940 photo taken of Bob Feller showing his fastball prowess in a speed test involving a Cleveland motorcycle cop racing past him at 80 MPH.
Feller was successful at throwing his fastball through a paper target well ahead of the motorcycle in the speed test. Not too scientific, but it was the only way to effectively measure speed back in 1940. Radar was still 34 years from being effectively used to measure the speed of a baseball. Interestingly, Feller threw his "fireball" fastball while wearing dress slacks and heavy dress shoes...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-07-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Bill Boyd

I could not pass up this photo of my childhood favorite ballplayer, Al Kaline. The pose is similar to photo on his rookie card, and one he has used on several other occasions. Photo taken on same day as Tigers announced his signing was over the top for me.
My second win was of George Kell, who was Tigers radio and TV broadcaster for some 35 years, and teamed with Kaline as TV broadcaster for 21 years. So obtaining these two early career photos of these two HOFers was for me, a devout Tiger fan, terrific.

Kaline, Sandlot photo.jpg
Attachment 116987
Kaline, latter career.png
1946 Kell.jpg

Last edited by billyb; 03-28-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Belltown Vintage

Picked up a bunch of inexpensive pieces, including this Van Oeyen.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-29-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Belltown Vintage

...boring non-sports stuff removed

Last edited by Runscott; 10-06-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Default Christy Mathewson

In military uniform dated 1918
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.3 KB, 626 views)
Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

I picked up this photo of six Federal League executives in 1914.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 953a_lg.jpg (15.4 KB, 608 views)
Old 10-06-2013, 01:43 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I managed to pick up two cool ones that match my collection well:

1) Louis Van Oeyen Type I of HB Dutch Leonard in 1916
This is a perfect compliment to my 1916 Dutch Leonard no-hit game ball that I own.

2) An iconic 1940 photo taken of Bob Feller showing his fastball prowess in a speed test involving a Cleveland motorcycle cop racing past him at 80 MPH.
Feller was successful at throwing his fastball through a paper target well ahead of the motorcycle in the speed test. Not too scientific, but it was the only way to effectively measure speed back in 1940. Radar was still 34 years from being invented. Interestingly, Feller threw his "fireball" fastball while wearing dress slacks and heavy dress shoes...
Scott:

I know it may be deceiving or a parallax view, but it looks like Feller hadn't even released the ball yet- with the motorcycle already 1/4 - 1/3 of the way there.

Also.... I thought there was indeed a famous image in which Feller is shown pitching into a crude radar device. I will try to dig it up, but am guessing you already know what I'm referencing.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:47 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

This one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bob_feller_radar_gun.jpg (41.8 KB, 473 views)
Old 10-06-2013, 01:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Check this out...

http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&bi...9,r:3,s:0,i:90

The Feller video starts at the :48 second mark. He did indeed give the motorcycle at least a 10 foot head start.

Also check out the crude (and obviously fake) Feller autograph on the Baseball at the very end. Looks just like a "Coach's Corner Special".

Last edited by perezfan; 10-06-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:35 PM

Default Nice Pickups

Wolterse - I love the Three Fingers picture, especially that you can read "Federal League" on the ball.

Ben - I was in on the Koufax for a while, if you ever decide to part with it.... Very nice pickups overall.

I forgot to add this DiMaggio rookie that i won as well:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joe Dimaggio Rookie.jpg (13.4 KB, 462 views)
Old 10-06-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Check this out...

http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&bi...9,r:3,s:0,i:90

The Feller video starts at the :48 second mark. He did indeed give the motorcycle at least a 10 foot head start.

Also check out the crude (and obviously fake) Feller autograph on the Baseball at the very end. Looks just like a "Coach's Corner Special".
Awesome! Thanks for the link, Mark. You can also see Feller destroy the Sky Screen Chronograph contraption with his 6th pitch on YouTube. Very cool!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:18 PM
N.ate A.dams

The "Three-Finger" Brown picture is incredible...somehow I missed that one in this incredible auction.

These are my first photo purchases, and also my first post on this side of the board. Incredible photos all!

Here are my wins, all Cubs-focused, so, in other words, the photos all have a context of failure within them, and I love it. Not too much to find on the contrary...
Anyone got any Cubs photos with 1907-1908 WS in mind?

Old 10-06-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
This one...
Mark,

I own a different photo and ticket of this same speed test that occurred on 8/20/46 at Washington Senators depicted here.

The slug on my photo says that:
"The Army Ordinance Dept. brought it's Sky Screen Chronograph to Griffith Stadium in Washington August 20 (1946)to clock the speed of Bob Feller's fireball. The Chronograph, consisting of three boxes-- two containing photo electric cells, and the third, high speed computing mechanisms-- developed by the Army Ordinance Dept. to time the velocity of shells in the battlefield, and can do it accurately to 1/100,000th of a second"
Feller's fastball speed was confirmed to be 98.6 MPH.

Although radar was first invented in the mid-to-late 1930's it was crude.
It wasn't until many years later that it was refined enough to be used to effectively measure the speed of a fastball.

Ironically, on August 20th, 1974 (the 20th anniversary of Feller's speed test in Washington DC), aerospace company Rockwell International in Anaheim, CA used their refined version of the radar technology to effectively measure the speed of Nolan Ryan's fastball at Anaheim Stadium. Ryan's speed was clocked at 100.9 MPH which is still listed as the fastest pitch ever recorded in The Guinness Book of Sports Records. It's important to note that the way that Nolan was recorded uses a different standard of measurement than today's radar guns. Nolan was measured as his fastball passed through a beam at home plate.

It's my understanding that today's radar measurement is recorded 10 ft. after a pitch leaves a pitchers hand. FWIW, by today's measurement standard Nolan's heater on Aug. 20, 1974 would be 110.9 MPH and Feller would be about 108.9 MPH from his 1946 measurement...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-07-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Scott:

I know it may be deceiving or a parallax view, but it looks like Feller hadn't even released the ball yet- with the motorcycle already 1/4 - 1/3 of the way there.

Also.... I thought there was indeed a famous image in which Feller is shown pitching into a crude radar device. I will try to dig it up, but am guessing you already know what I'm referencing.
Mark,
I believe that the photo depicts reality. The motorcycle was traveling at 86 MPH, but Rapid Robert was later shown to throw his fastball over 98 MPH. The motorcycle could have a head start, but still lose the race, FWIW...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 10-07-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Phil Garry

I believe that this Newark Eagles photo of Larry Doby was the only true Negro League photo in the auction as the Satchel Paige item was from the Winter League season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doby,Larry 1947.jpg (68.2 KB, 438 views)
Old 10-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Phil P

Default Stan Musial 1947

Great Stan Musial batting pose from a youthful Stan 1 of my favorite players.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 387a_med.jpg (39.3 KB, 329 views)
Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Ryan

Great pickups guys. I got shutout. I went to bed winning 1 auction, but it wasn't to be.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 AM
Graig Kreindler

GREAT shot, Phil. And taken in St. Louis, no less!

Graig
Old 10-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsher View Post
Great pickups guys. I got shutout. I went to bed winning 1 auction, but it wasn't to be.
Ryan, I suffered the same fate
Old 10-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Scott

I'm curious. If these cool photos were on ebay, rather than a Henry Yee or Mr. Yeakley auction, would they go super high? I don't know the final bids on these, but seems people do get caught in "auction fever" . Are there ever any deals with Henry? I mean, no disrespect, Im just curious. Henry, Ive known for many years and Rhetty seems like a cool guy.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:00 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I'm curious. If these cool photos were on ebay, rather than a Henry Yee or Mr. Yeakley auction, would they go super high? I don't know the final bids on these, but seems people do get caught in "auction fever" . Are there ever any deals with Henry? I mean, no disrespect, Im just curious. Henry, Ive known for many years and Rhetty seems like a cool guy.
Scott,
I think, like with every auction, the final price comes down to a few common things. Advertising/credibility/visibility of the seller, quality of the items, and luck.
Henry Yee, Rhys, REA, Legendary, Heritage, etc all have long lists of customers, as well as a certain amount of public awareness, so many more "motivated" buyers are following their auctions. More exposure = more interested parties following the auction = more likely hood of bidding fever.

These same auctioneers are known for outstanding quality. I think Henry's reputation is especially strong in regards to having, not only top quality images, simply impeccable condition of the pictures he sells.

Ebay is a mixed bag. Sellers that are unknown. Item quality that is all over the place. Uncertainty as whether or not the seller has described the "type" correctly.
For me, the price I would've bid/paid for each of the pictures I won would not have been different. The difference, between a name auction and eBay, is that I think the final price I wound up having to pay might have been less on eBay.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL