NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-20-2014, 08:50 AM
Sean Brennan

Default I was signed pre war when signed pre war wasnt cool

Just thought Id show off official proof I am Billy Herman's #1 fan
For some reason I didnt get photos with any of the other guys I got in person on 33 Goudeys and I wasnt smart enough to show the card I got signed in the pic but I did get this card signed that day When I get around to it Im going to mat my signed 33 goudey cubs team setwith this photo
billy herman.jpg

Last edited by milkit1; 09-20-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:55 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Very nice Sean.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 09-20-2014, 09:03 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Great memory and a beautiful card.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:06 AM
Sean Brennan

Thanks! I believe that was in 1989 based on my beginnings of a mustache lol
Old 09-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Andrew

Fantastic photo!
Old 09-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Christopher Williams

That is very cool, Sean.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Very cool..
Old 09-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That's great. I got the same Goudey signed around the early 1990s at a show in SoCal. Also got Rick Ferrell and Chas. Gehringer. I was a little nutty about these things. I brought my own sharpies in different colors to shows and tried to pick good contrasting colors for the players to use.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-20-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:47 PM
Sean Brennan

Haha that's great! I actually like your herman better!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:52 PM
David Linardy

Default Billy Herman

Fantastic Photo and story.

Thanks for sharing Sean!

I think I owned the same sweater back in the day, but mine was in a husky size!
Old 09-21-2014, 06:54 AM
Sean Brennan

Haha I was swimming in mine!
Old 09-21-2014, 08:27 PM

Very cool. I wish I would have that pre-war was cool back in the day. At least I got Rick Ferrell to sign a Goudey for me.

I got Charlie Gehringer to sign a bunch of 1960 and 1961 Fleers but never thought to send him a Goudey.

Also got Billy Herman to sign a few 1954 Topps and 1955 Topps coaches cards but also passed on getting him to sign Goudeys.

Last edited by MacDice; 09-21-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:32 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Cool stuff Sean, your collection is awesome, and even cooler knowing you got much of it in person. I went to lots of shows as a kid. Wish I'd gone your route though, or at least dabbled in pre-war, but I was like many others and getting as many 50's-60's HOFer sigs on whatever cards I could scrounge up.

I do still have some nice cards signed by guys like Gibson, Brock, Carlton, Koufax, Musial, Snider, etc from back then. It was always fun going with my dad because these guys were his heroes.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Sean Brennan

thanks guys. Its was quite scary handling a fragile baseball card to an 80+ year old man. Whenever I showed my grandfather my goudeys he would turn those 9 card pages like my two year old turns pages in a book. My reaction was: :O
Still no harm ever came. My dad had the idea of sending these photos in to have signed and add "my #1 fan". I wish I had gotten Leo Durocher but so glad he did that with Billy Herman. Amazing to think that my son was born 98 years after him which means:
Billy Herman is to my son age wise what Cy Young is to me lol
Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

I am a little bit offended to see this! Just kidding, although I honestly thought I was always Billy Herman's #1 fan - even though I was born in 1977. You see, Billy Herman married a woman from my hometown - Rome, NY. He even mentions it in his HOF speech (which in today's day and age would be considered an introduction): http://baseballhall.org/node/11189

I am probably going to screw this up, but Billy married one of my cousin's ex-wife's relative. So I always use to tell people growing up (when I was like 8-12 or so) that I was a distant relative of a HOFer.

I never got a Goudey signed, but have a ton of signed Billy Herman signed items. From what I remember, he was an incredibly nice man and very fan friendly.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 AM
Sean Brennan

Wow cool! Yeah I remember him being incredibly nice and that even shows in the photo. Amazing to think this guy was there for Ruth's "called" (or uncalled) shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooptown View Post
I am a little bit offended to see this! Just kidding, although I honestly thought I was always Billy Herman's #1 fan - even though I was born in 1977. You see, Billy Herman married a woman from my hometown - Rome, NY. He even mentions it in his HOF speech (which in today's day and age would be considered an introduction): http://baseballhall.org/node/11189

I am probably going to screw this up, but Billy married one of my cousin's ex-wife's relative. So I always use to tell people growing up (when I was like 8-12 or so) that I was a distant relative of a HOFer.

I never got a Goudey signed, but have a ton of signed Billy Herman signed items. From what I remember, he was an incredibly nice man and very fan friendly.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
Wow cool! Yeah I remember him being incredibly nice and that even shows in the photo. Amazing to think this guy was there for Ruth's "called" (or uncalled) shot.
Actually, it's funny that you mention that. According to my father, Billy Herman was adamant that Babe Ruth did not call his shot (my Dad was as diehard of a Yankee fan as they come), and instead Ruth was jawing at the Cubs dugout, and pointing yelling obscenities. He was, according to my Dad, adamant that Ruth did not call his own shot.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:14 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooptown View Post
Actually, it's funny that you mention that. According to my father, Billy Herman was adamant that Babe Ruth did not call his shot (my Dad was as diehard of a Yankee fan as they come), and instead Ruth was jawing at the Cubs dugout, and pointing yelling obscenities. He was, according to my Dad, adamant that Ruth did not call his own shot.
Cool story and connection. If memory serves me right, Herman's interviewed on Ken Burns' "Baseball" saying similar. That version seems very plausible to me, and the famous photo looks more to me like he's gesturing toward the dugout than emphatically pointing to CF.

I think it's actually cool not to know, since everything now has a dozen network camera angles, and potentially thousands of personally shot still and moving footage.. and the Twittersphere. Mystery/mystique is such a great part of baseball's past and one of the hooks for collecting its artifacts.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:26 PM
Sean Brennan

yeah its one of those rare baseball enigmas. Its interesting that the Yankees go with it and the cubs dont