NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-17-2014, 02:00 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Opinions/IDs on some PCL autographs

I picked up what I believe to be a rather extensively signed old-timers game excerpt from a 1954 Seals program and wanted to see what the board thought. Here is the main page:

Some close-ups of the autographs:

FWIW, the Lefty looks good to me based on years of collecting his stuff, good but rushed.

Then there is this one, which I cannot ID. My guess based on what I can read and placement on the sheet is that it is Gerald Donovan from the 1928 team. Anyone have any solid ID info?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-17-2014, 03:15 PM

Default JimStinson

Jerry Donovan was a minor league outfielder from 1926 to 1939, mainly in the Pacific Coast League. He played for the San Francisco Seals from 1929 to 1933, Sacramento Senators in 1934, Seattle Indians in 1935-1937, and Oakland Oaks in 1938. He hit .300 five times in the PCL and homered 23 times in 1936, his best output.

Donovan was later president of the Far West League from 1948 to 1951 and the California League from 1949 to 1955.

Donovan worked for the San Francisco Giants from 1958 until his passing. He held various jobs with the Giants including business manager and consultant.

Vintage autographs FOR SALE NOW on my web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 09-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Looks authentic to me
Old 09-17-2014, 03:20 PM

Default JimStinson

Missed the 1st part of the question , autographs are all A-OK
Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Thanks all; looks like a fine addition to my Lefty collection!

Or not...
Old 09-17-2014, 03:48 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Thanks all; looks like a fine addition to my Lefty collection!
Adam as a bit of interesting trivia , since Lefty and Joe are next to each other , after DiMaggio left the Seals and signed his first contract with the Yankees , they wanted to re-sign him and STEAL him, O'Doul was friends with Ty Cobb who was living on the west coast at the time so when the Yankees tried to re-sign Joe he said NO , He was coached by O'Doul and Cobb on how to negotiate his contract .... it ticked the Yankees off like crazy but finally with help of O'Doul and Cobb , DiMaggio got what he was asking for

later it became easier with MacPhail as the way he would negotiate contracts with Joe was to tell him to write a number on a piece of paper and MacPhail would do the same , Larry told him that whichever one was higher he would go with , DiMaggio said MacPhail's number was ALWAYS higher than his

Vintage autographs for Sale NOW on my web site
stinsonsports.com
Old 09-18-2014, 07:08 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I read that in DiMaggio by Richard Ben Kramer. According to him Cobb ghosted DiMaggio's negotiation letters. Barrow even sent DiMaggio a letter during the Cobb-driven negotiations stating "tell Cobb to stop writing me letters."

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-18-2014 at 07:09 AM.