NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Default OK, what happened to the Mayo's??

Posted By: David Smith

Not that I could afford them but what happened to the 14 Mayo Cut Plug baseball cards?? eBay #290097999925. They were on last night and had a bid of $7,500. Then they were gone this morning because "seller made an error in the listing". Also gone were three Morehouse Baking cards and four Mayo Football cards, all with the same reason.

Did one of you guys have them end the auction early even though there was only about a day left??

David

Old 03-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Carl Lamendola

I was bidding on the football. I asked him to post a "Buy it Now" in the beginning (when the bid was $9.99 and he said he wanted to let them run there course. Did you also notice the Jim Corbett boxing evaporated? I reported it to Ebay. Its obvious that someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse and he was avoiding seller fees.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

I had emailed the seller asking for clarification of his return policy. As you may recall he was unwilling to "guarantee" authenticity. I had asked him if found to not be authentic would the return be denied since he had not "guaranteed" them. He never responded so I withdrew my bid.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

I emailed him last night to ask why the sudden change in payment terms.
He decided to pull them and get them authenticated and re-list individually was what the email said. Shame, I really wanted them too…..at this point he should just consign them to an auction house.

Only took him 90% thru the auction to figure this out……….. Sometimes eBay is so silly.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I had that auction in my watch list too - not that I could afford them, but that was a pretty amazing little collection of cards.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

That’s funny Steve, your retracted bid made me email him as well, I saw your retracted bid then the change in payment terms only wanting cashiers etc. I decided to email him before I entered my final bid…. no reply until this morning. Saying he canned the auction to list individually. The guy was probably swamped with end it now deals and sideways emails from all sorts of ebayers, LOL.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

after corresponding with the seller several times, I think he discovered he could make a lot more money by selling them individually. He would not reveal his"source" for his tobacco cards, but he led me to believe it was a die hard collector type of person that he got the Mayo's and other cards from. I could not tell whether the cards were genuine or not by the scans he posted so I don't know if that was an issue or not. He would not gaurantee that the cards were real, but gave me the info about the "source".

Old 03-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

Spoke to the seller who is from my neck of the woods. She is getting them graded by SGC and then will re list them on ebay. The cards are real and we will see them again

Old 03-31-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bobby Binder

The seller is a she contacted me through VCP trying to find out more about what she was selling, The cards are not hers but a consignment from another lady who found the cards in her attick. She was very concerned about the backlash of ending an auction early. She was also offered $20K from a dealer to end the auction early as well. I told her it would be better to get the cards graded and re-list them. That way it would remove all doubt about the authenticity.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Hopefully we can also get the story behind them. Are they from a recent collecctor or an old-time collector or were they a find that someone is just now selling??

David

Old 03-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

she made it sound like the she had received tobacco cards from this person before , so I would bet they are from some sort of collector or and inherited collection maybe ...?

Old 04-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Shortly before the auctions were set to close. My bet is that we are going to see these cards again, next time in slabs.