NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-05-2013, 07:11 PM
pete ullman

Default IS Mickey Mantle the Ultimate Exception? O/T

I find it interesting that this being a "vintage" baseball card forum...usually when more modern topics are uttered...the author is mildly scolded...and directed to another room...topic and all.

EXCEPT...EXCEPT if the subject matter is Mickey Mantle...let alone the 52 topps Mickey MAntle. Then...all is fine...the topic can stay?!?!

Now my punctuation may seem aggressive...but this really doesn't bother me at all...as I collect cards from this era as well...as I'm sure a lot of us do.

IT's just interesting...that's all!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Sean Costello

Peter you're right.

Does it work this way in the post-war forum? Maybe I'll post a Ty Cobb or Babe Ruth and see if I get re-directed here.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 PM
David Pierson
Banned

As long as we are on the subject......just when does prewar start, (exact date) and end, (exact date)? Are there any cards/sets that were produced during the war? What is/ are the last of the prewar sets..the first of the post war sets?...... And yep the Mick seem to be the exception to posting on the prewar side. Dave.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
As long as we are on the subject......just when does prewar start, (exact date) and end, (exact date)? Are there any cards/sets that were produced during the war? What is/ are the last of the prewar sets..the first of the post war sets?...... And yep the Mick seem to be the exception to posting on the prewar side. Dave.
While I can't answer all of your questions, WWII began, from a U.S.
perspective, on December 7, 1941. In my humble opinion, sets from '41 or earlier qualify. Later sets should not.

As for Mantle, he is definitely post-war.

Just my two cents.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 07-05-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Now my punctuation may seem aggressive...
Yes, you have very aggressive punctuation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:31 PM
FredYoung

When it comes to Mickey Mantle, ANY exemption is OK w/ me!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Peter, it's an interesting topic. I think there are a few factors involved -

"Postwar" generally means "Post WWII" as you all know, which in my eyes is anything after say, 1945. Like a previous poster mentioned, a lot of the Mantle topics that come up involve the 1952 Mantle or something involving Mantle from the early 50s. A topic pertaining to the early 50s, I think, is just simply "close enough" to Pre-war that a lot of people look the other way. I've noticed that questions involving 1948 Leaf/Bowman cards, for instance, seem to fall into this category too so it's not just Mantle. It would probably be different though if someone started a thread saying "Hey, I have a question on a '69 Topps Mantle...."

Also, if the contributing poster is a regular board member, we've always allowed those individuals a little leeway when posting.

And finally, if the subject matter at hand consists of a questionable card, or a suspect auction on Ebay - which a good deal of them are, and the general idea behind the post is to warn people of a potentially bad situation, I would say that that sort of a situation is also permissable on the main board. Especially since a good portion of prewar collectors in our community also collect cards from the 40s and 50s, and the card being discussed is likely worth hundreds, if not thousands.

Just my two cents anyways.....

Last edited by shammus; 07-05-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:15 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

This came up in an epic Zone topic and I voted at that time that the '52 Topps Mantle is an iconic card in our hobby and transcends era. Discussions of Mantle as a player I would say do not belong on the "prewar" forum, unless he's being compared with a prewar player.

There are days that I might find one topic on the main prewar forum that I want to read and days that I can go through all of them. I would rather read about a '52 Mantle then many of the "OT" threads. The OT threads don't bother me because I can choose to pass them by.

*I think cards 1945 and earlier are acceptable as they are not yet "postwar".

Last edited by Tao_Moko; 07-06-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I find it interesting that this being a "vintage" baseball card forum...usually when more modern topics are uttered...the author is mildly scolded...and directed to another room...topic and all.

EXCEPT...EXCEPT if the subject matter is Mickey Mantle...let alone the 52 topps Mickey MAntle. Then...all is fine...the topic can stay?!?!

Now my punctuation may seem aggressive...but this really doesn't bother me at all...as I collect cards from this era as well...as I'm sure a lot of us do.

IT's just interesting...that's all!

Hey Pete

It all depends on what your definition of "pre-war" is ?

One could stretch it and say the 1952 TOPPS (52T) Mantle is a "pre-war" card....pre-Korean War (June 1950 - July 1953)

Anyhow, the excitement of getting a 52T Mantle started in the Fall of 1952. DiMaggio was gone and Mantle was the new promising star in that spacious Centerfield.
Mickey batted .311 in '52 and had a pretty good rookie season. I always found it quite an interesting coincidence that Topps numbered Mantle's card 311.
One thing is certain, TOPPS knew that Mantle would be popular with the BB card collectors. Therefore, TOPPS Double-Printed his card.

In the late 1970's, a confuence of events raised the interest in the 52T Mantle to a new high. BB card shows were flourishing and Mantle was appearing all over the
country; and, the country-folk fell in love with him. Combine that with the "rookie card craze" in those days.....and, an event in Philadelphia in the Summer of 1980
in which 3 of the 52T Mantle cards were auctioned off together for an unprecedented amount of $10,000. This event made National news....and, the rest is history.

Pete, I'm sure that you know of all this. I posted it for the younger crowd on this forum, who most likely are unaware of it.

The 52T Mantle was Double-Printed and shown here are the differences between the two Mantle cards.

.. Type 2 .................................................. .................................................. Type 1

TED Z
Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Joe M.

Well, just like some of the younger members of society don't know that the 13 Colonies all were in the East. They probably don't know which War we are talking about.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 PM
David Pierson
Banned

posted in wrong thread...sorry dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqRHJDgFG8r)U5)zBRwhhZ)Nmg~~60_3.JPG (58.5 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Cardboard Junkie; 07-07-2013 at 12:19 AM.