NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Bryan M1ll3r

Default Excited new member - intro + a few questions

Hi all. Let me start off by saying that I am amazed by the passion and wealth of information cooked up by the community here. I just discovered this site this weekend and have probably spent about 20 hours since then perusing.

A little about myself. I am 26 and live in Seattle. When I was in elementary school, every minute and penny I had was devoted to baseball. I would spend my time reading baseball autobiographies and baseball encyclopedias while spending my allowance and any other money earned at the local card stores. I moved on once I entered high school and didn't re-enter the world of baseball cards again until 2 years ago.

I tried getting into the new sets over a period of a few months but there were just too many options and I couldn't get into the autograph / game-used / serial #'d madness. I ended up selling all my old and new baseball cards except for ones that had special meaning to me (e.g., a 1973 Topps Willie Mays and 1961 Topps Duke Snider that I managed to get from a classmate in 7th grade for what was at the time 5x Beckett value in Indians players - Albert Belle, Kenny Lofton, etc.). I find myself looking at these old cards fairly often and have considered getting into vintage baseball cards for a long time because I appreciate the history of the game and how it used to be played by farmer's sons who had to plow the fields in the off-season.

My goal going into this is to acquire cards that tell me the story of the game and demonstrate its history. I THINK that I've decided on a collecting goal that can last me many years: to collect what I believe to be the "coolest" / "most unique" (and affordable) card of everyone in the HOF. I would like to display these cards on the wall in several displays that include the name and induction year of the players. Regarding this, I have a few questions:

1) Do any of you display your cards? I've seen a few cheap (~$50) displays online but none of them have looked that impressive. I'm thinking of commissioning a custom made one if anyone knows someone who can make it. I'd also love to see any displays that you have. I couldn't spend all this money and time on something that just ends up in a safe deposit box or a 3 ring binder.

2) Do any of you know a website where I can easily access an image of every single card ever produced? I checked out beckett.com but they are very limited. Ideally, I would be able to search by player and not by set.

Sorry for the long rant but I wanted to give a little background about myself before diving into the community. I look forward to talking with many of you over the years.

Take care,
Bryan
Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 AM

Bryan,

Funny, that's my name too, just with a different spelling. Welcome aboard. As for displaying cards I do the internet version which is to set up albums. Ask Leon on how to go about it. In the meantime, feel free to check out my info with links to the albums.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Archive

Welcome aboard Bryan!

One thing to consider as far as displaying cards, maybe use reprints for decorating your man-cave, while keeping your vintage cards safe & locked up. One of my favorite cards is a T205 John McGraw. I actually own a very nice example. So instead of displaying it, I bought a reprint from the 2003 Topps T205 set to display and enjoy.

Trust me on this, I actually got a phone call from my local police department on Monday about a card collection that was possibly stolen. They called me to get some assistance as far as values on some of the cards.

Anyway, welcome to the website. Its a great place! Be sure to check out the Buy/Sell/Trade page. Its a great venue to buy cards.

Good Luck with your goal.

Jantz
Old 12-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Patrick N.

Default Book

Not quite what you asked but this book has an image of every Topps card by set from 1951-85.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-COMPLETE...item3ccc579bb2

PSA has quite a bit of databases with some or most of what you might be looking for
Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 AM
Ja,mie B.

Bryan,

It can get extremely pricey to collect a card of every HOFer. Some people do it. One way of narrowing it down is to just do the HOFers from one particular set. Most common choices on this board would be T206's, T205's, N172's and maybe E90-1's. I don't want to sound snobby but a lot of the folks on the board collect pre-war because the cards are older, more rare, and quite special. Nothing against Topps cards, but I would consider going the prewar route, you might ultimately find it more fulfilling.

My only advice is to take a lot of time to research and maybe don't start putting money into it until spring.

Best luck,

Jamie
N172 collector
Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 AM
Jeff

I make custom displays of my favorite players. A mix of different items is what I like best. Here is Walter Payton.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 AM
Tony Ooten

Hi Bryan and welcome,

If you like the idea of farmers sons playing the game, I suggest you read "Glory of Their Times" and listen to the audio version. Another book I read when I started collecting pre-war is "The Celebrant" which really helps immerse you into the game and country in early 1900's.

The advice to take it slow at first is wise.

oldcardboard.com is an excellent source for viewing cards although you can't search individual players.

If you use the search function on this board, you'll find alot of threads about displays of cards.

Tony

Last edited by tonyo; 12-05-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 AM
Chris

Welcome. I second Jamie's suggestion. I would spend a bit of time thinking about what you want before you dive in. I started with a pretty narrow focus--rookie cards from every NY (Dodgers, Mets, Yankee) player from the 40s through 60s. Eventually, I realized I could not really connect to a lot of these players, and did not want to spend the money on some of the cards as a result. Ended up just picking my favorite player and going for a complete run of his cards.

As for displays, the best place to look for examples is on the pre-war side. A guy recently posted a pretty cool Cracker Jack display. It should be within the last 20-30 days. Interesting piece, which was custom made and includes special glass to protect the cards.

For now, I only display four of my cards. They are on a small shelf with some of my sports memorabilia (autographed picture, helmet, a few balls). I thought about putting more cards out, but it looked cluttered. Eventually I will get a frame made for some of them and maybe display a select grouping of my cards that way.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 AM
Phil Garry

Welcome aboard, Bryan.

Beckett has a hard copy, alphabetical checklist by player's last name of just about every card made. There are some omissions but it would be a pretty good start for you.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
As for displays, the best place to look for examples is on the pre-war side. A guy recently posted a pretty cool Cracker Jack display. It should be within the last 20-30 days. Interesting piece, which was custom made and includes special glass to protect the cards.
Jeff, thats an intense Payton display. Heres that CJ display again, thanks for the nice words.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJ display 001.jpg (69.0 KB, 303 views)
Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I will just say, welcome aboard Bryan. Some of these guys are really passionate. You are in good company. Take care and happy collecting!!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Here is a link to an older thread on displays board members have used. There are some great ideas that I pull from when I make mine (I custom build all of my displays). You should be able to get some great ideas about diferent displays.
My HOF type collection is partially listed in there somewhere.
Hope this helps and welcome to the boards!
Drew

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=134687
Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Not quite what you asked but this book has an image of every Topps card by set from 1951-85.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-COMPLETE...item3ccc579bb2

PSA has quite a bit of databases with some or most of what you might be looking for
That book is great, and there is a companion book, identical in size, called Classic Baseball Cards The Golden Years 1886-1956 which shows most of the old non-Topps cards from the 1800's up thru the start of Topps, and it shows all the Bowmans thru 1955 also. I have both books, they are incredible.

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 12-05-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 AM

Welcome aboard.
JimB
Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Barry Arnold

Default bryan

welcome aboard!
as you can already see, this is a great place to find answers---and ask questions!!
all the best,
barry
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Ken Wirt

Welcome! One way to begin collecting Hall of Famers, is to start with the more modern guys and work your way back in time. Generally the older, the more expensive. But many of the guys from the teens and later can be nabbed for bargains, if you're not too concerned with condition. For the really pricey guys (Negro Leaguers, 19th century, etc.), you can always find modern tribute cards to display as fillers, until you decide to delve into attempting acquisition of a card made during each players' active years. Just be patient. And enjoy the journey!! ~ Ken

My HOF set:
http://s155.beta.photobucket.com/user/triwak/library/
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Bryan - Welcome. I don't think there are any websites that have images of every card ever produced, but there are some sites that are pretty good.
You can use:
http://www.vintagecardprices.com
There is a search function that allows you to search by player and it will tell you every card that that player is on and it will have pictures for most of the cards. You can also search by set or team and it will even tell you which players are in the HOF. You can use the search function without being a member.

Good Luck.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

welcome Brian - im pretty new here as well! I would deff take my time and search the web and make the right choice.

The link that DAVE just posted - http://www.vintagecardprices.com, is in my opinion a great tool in seeing every (i think) card. havs helped me alot in the past too.

In my opinion - I would take a GOOD look at the T205 cards. I think the most beautiful cards ever made, first cards to have stats on the back, many diff back types, some more rare vairation cards as well.

Anyway welcome and good luck
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Ken McMillan

Bryan,

You might want to look up Pennzoni display cases. Not real expensive but look very nice. Think the web site is www.pennzonidisplay.com
Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM

Default Welcome...

welcome my friend, extremly addictive this board and hobby, you wont be dissapointed

peace

johnny
Old 12-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Jeff, thats an intense Payton display. Heres that CJ display again, thanks for the nice words.
Thank you sir. Your CJ display is just beautiful...wow!!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Welcome aboard Bryan! As has been said already, you'll find a wealth of knowledge on this board and lots of answers to any questions you can come up with.

Best regards,

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Bryan M1ll3r

Thanks everyone for your kind greetings and insights around a variety of topics (e.g., how to display cards, reading material, where to find pictures of most cards, making the collection a journey, etc.). I would thank you all individually but that could get a little long with over 20 responses.

I am downloading the audio version of "Glory of Their Times" as we speak and http://www.vintagecardprices.com looks to be a key resource for easily viewing the vast majority of a player's cards.

I forsee many sleep-deprived days ahead of me as I try to digest as much info as possible from these forums. Best of luck in your collections!