NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-26-2017, 02:21 PM
Sc.ott Ver.renti

Default Al Rosen - Mr Mint - Passes

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.co...n-passes-away/
Old 01-26-2017, 02:26 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooptown View Post
I was told never to speak ill of the dead. So...

Tom C
Old 01-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Robert Williams

This is sad news....whatever ill malice people have towards him nonwithstanding...
Old 01-26-2017, 02:53 PM

My only interaction (cold call asking if would sell one single 1952T high number) with him (when I was 12) was very pleasant (I've read everything else and saw him "at work" at a Philly show in 2000, so I know "what" he was). May his soul be at peace and may his family find solace in this most difficult time.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:54 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I had some dealings with Mr. Rosen many years ago. He was
an interesting character to say the least and he was involved in
some amazing finds.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I have spoken about my unfortunate experience with Alan in the past but with this news I only wish comfort for his loved ones. He was certainly a character.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 01-26-2017, 03:10 PM
Mike Bodner

RIP Alan. Thankfully I have nothing but positive memories from our times at many of the same shows in the 80's and early 90's.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:51 PM
Bill Zimpleman

Always had great dinners with Al.....Great guy outside of the hobby
Old 01-26-2017, 03:52 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Always a thrill to watch him price items at the big Rhode Island show that ended last year.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:03 AM

Default He added color to the hobby

Over my many years in this hobby, I have always tried to study those who have had great success. Part of it was selfish- I wanted to be successful too. But part of it was a genuine intrigue as to how many different people could take so many different paths, have different personality traits- and yet end up- at or near the top of the field. I have always tried to "cherry pick" what I thought were the positive attributes of each individual- and hopefully build those "parts" into my own business. Al Rosen was one of those guys I studied.
My take on Al is that he was a very smart- hi IQ colorful man with a big personality, who was an expert on how to size up people, situations, and of course baseball cards! He was the best I have ever known in this business at branding himself. To sooooo many people- he was Mr.Mint. He published books- and self promoted. He ran thousands of ads- and was willing to travel anywhere to buy the newest biggest best collections. He was the face of the baseball card business for a couple of decades- and I think should be remembered for his business savy, his tireless energy, and his uncanny ability to "get the deal done".
For many years my booth was next to his at the annual May Pittsburgh Show run by J. Paul. I could see the look on many people's faces as they approached his booth. They wanted to meet the closest thing to a "celebrity" the card industry had to offer. He would sign his book for these people- and thank them for stopping by- and in one of the best conversational transitions I've ever witnessed- "ask them if they had anything for sale". I don't know how many pictures he took with people- He was always holding the cards- and "those people" always holding the cash- and a signed copy of his book.
I was never in the "Al Rosen inner circle"- so I do not pretend to be his best friend or confidant. I just hope this hobby - at this time - can remember the positive attributes of Al- and the color he added to this hobby. I will miss him.
Rest in peace Alan.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:22 AM
Larry More.y

RIP Mr Mint

http://www.beckett.com/news/alan-mr-...n-passes-away/
Old 01-27-2017, 07:42 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I am still vividly remember the 52 find and his follow up ads in SCD. Saw him many times at shows and as many have said, he was the ultimate salesman and promoter. He was always asking people what they had for sale and scanning the show floor for more stuff to buy. I also agree that he did more to help the hobby than just about anyone. It was always interesting when he was set up by the front door.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:28 AM
Bryan Dec

I have had the privilege of knowing Al for 28 years, and even though we were competitors at most shows across the country, we had a mutual respect for each other, which forged into a long-lasting friendship. Al was always self promoting himself & his business, but that also gave great positive exposure to the entire hobby, which we all have benefited from in the past & will continue to benefit from in the future. Over the years, Al was always looking for loyalty in his hobby friends & the people he dealt with. My thoughts & prayers are with his family (Marni, Blake & Jenny), along with his best friend & best right-hand man, Dave Czuba. Al will be sorely missed in the hobby – Rest in Peace “Mr. Mint”

Bryan Dec
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_2005_1024.jpg (73.6 KB, 1028 views)
Old 01-27-2017, 08:36 AM
Ted Zanidakis

The first I met Alan Rosen was at a Show in Kenilworth, NJ in 1981. We were set-up at adjacent tables at this show. He was sort brusque in
his behavior dealing with the public; but, he also could be mild-mannered and funny.

I recall several "walk-ins" with newer stuff (back then) first came to my table which I was not interested in, so I passed them on to Alan. He
purchased most of these cards, and then gave me a commission for sending the walk-ins over to his table.

There are numerous stories that I can tell regarding Alan. But, I'll limit it to 2. In 1984, at the Atlantic City show, he had a 1949 Bowman PCL
set (36 cards) for sale (very, very rare). He told me I could have it for 2K. I told him I had spent most of my $$$$$. So, he asked me what I
had to trade. I told him I had 50 - 1982 Topps Traded sets. We did the trade, and I was very happy.

If you haven't read it, I highly recommend Alan's book, titled "TRUE MINT". It details all his major finds (1981 - 1994). It is a great read.

GOD Bless Alan's soul....and comfort his family.

TED Z
Old 01-27-2017, 09:43 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Never met him but i remember reading a sports illustrated article about him and the mantles....the next show i bought a few Mantles from the 1960s..
Old 01-27-2017, 04:49 PM

Default Very well said, Kevin ...

Kevin has said it well and, from all I can tell 2,000 miles away, he is learning his lessons well. He runs a first-class auction business and as do the people he has hired to represent him.

In my view Mr. Mint was much as Kevin has portrayed and, generally, we would do well to emulate the best we see in others. My sympathies to the Rosen family and my thanks to Kevin Savage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Savage View Post
Over my many years in this hobby, I have always tried to study those who have had great success. Part of it was selfish- I wanted to be successful too. But part of it was a genuine intrigue as to how many different people could take so many different paths, have different personality traits- and yet end up- at or near the top of the field. I have always tried to "cherry pick" what I thought were the positive attributes of each individual- and hopefully build those "parts" into my own business. Al Rosen was one of those guys I studied.
My take on Al is that he was a very smart- hi IQ colorful man with a big personality, who was an expert on how to size up people, situations, and of course baseball cards! He was the best I have ever known in this business at branding himself. To sooooo many people- he was Mr.Mint. He published books- and self promoted. He ran thousands of ads- and was willing to travel anywhere to buy the newest biggest best collections. He was the face of the baseball card business for a couple of decades- and I think should be remembered for his business savy, his tireless energy, and his uncanny ability to "get the deal done".
For many years my booth was next to his at the annual May Pittsburgh Show run by J. Paul. I could see the look on many people's faces as they approached his booth. They wanted to meet the closest thing to a "celebrity" the card industry had to offer. He would sign his book for these people- and thank them for stopping by- and in one of the best conversational transitions I've ever witnessed- "ask them if they had anything for sale". I don't know how many pictures he took with people- He was always holding the cards- and "those people" always holding the cash- and a signed copy of his book.
I was never in the "Al Rosen inner circle"- so I do not pretend to be his best friend or confidant. I just hope this hobby - at this time - can remember the positive attributes of Al- and the color he added to this hobby. I will miss him.
Rest in peace Alan.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:54 PM
Ryan Christoff

I guess when you die, you become someone else. Because this guy was a total scumbag. Sorry, everyone. You can hate me now, but once I'm dead you'll be posting what a great guy I was.

-Ryan

Last edited by ElCabron; 01-27-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:04 PM
Richard Simon

He banned me from his auctions because I questioned an autograph he was auctioning that was definitely bad.
He tried to buy a Babe Ruth signed ball from me at a show. When I turned down his offer he gave me a look that would curdle milk. For years afterwards he would never look at me at a show.
I agree with Ryan above.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-27-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMitchell View Post
Kevin has said it well and, from all I can tell 2,000 miles away, he is learning his lessons well. He runs a first-class auction business and as do the people he has hired to represent him.

In my view Mr. Mint was much as Kevin has portrayed and, generally, we would do well to emulate the best we see in others. My sympathies to the Rosen family and my thanks to Kevin Savage.
Agreed on Kevin learning lessons well and also Kevin is well on his way to sainthood for having one Richard P Blandford on staff for nearly 20 years now

(That's a joke son!)
Old 01-28-2017, 01:03 AM
Rob

I dunno that someone's obituary is the time to be a tough guy. The only time I dealt with Ryan, I got a bunch of caramelo deportivo's all stuck together off of eBay and I took them apart and put them in penny sleeves and top-loaders.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:07 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Rosen

I have only had one meeting with Mr. Rosen, at the National in Chicago a few years ago. He was very kind, very patient, and I appreciated his advice.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.