NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-30-2017, 07:52 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Default Ripken's Consecutive Game Streak Started 35 Years Ago Today

Today (May 30th) marks the 35th Anniversary of the first game of Cal Ripken's legendary consecutive game streak. It was a Sunday afternoon game @ Memorial Stadium against the Toronto Blue Jays & I'm sure the fans in attendance that day didn't realize that they were witnessing baseball history. A few years ago I was fortunate to obtain a set of the lineup cards from that game from one of the Memorial Stadium umpire attendants (who was ahead of his time in saving these sort of things):

Old 05-30-2017, 11:37 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Those are awesome. Great historic lineup cards.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:34 PM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker1b2 View Post
Those are awesome. Great historic lineup cards.
Agreed! I never looked up the streak starting date but always thought it was a jays home game. Good to get that corrected in my mind....except that at my age, I will prob forget it again in 30 mins!
Old 05-30-2017, 01:34 PM
Bob Davies

I suddenly feel old.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:31 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Saw this ball in the Babe Ruth Museum....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rip1st.jpg (77.5 KB, 76 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 06-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Default Update on the streak- Game 8

Here's my experience with the streak 35 years later. #8's game 8

Dateline- June 8, 1982 Milwaukee County Stadium, Sundance Photo Camera Nite
I was fortunate enough to have my mom take me to photo night for the '82 Brewers when I was 13 years old. I excitedly dragged her from player to player to get a quick pic and then hustle to another.It was surreal meeting all the players that I loved to watch. I got pics with 23 players and coaches in less than the alotted 45 minutes( no Molitor or Yount, their lines were 20 minutes long). With about 5 minutes left we started to exit the field in front of the visitor's dugout and then......
The Baltimore Orioles started filing into the dugout right in front of me. Rick Dempsey, Eddie Murray hopping up next to me to survey the crowd, Ken Singleton prepping a bat. I grabbed the Kodak a snapped some pics. Then I asked a blue-eyed rookie who was working on his glove in the corner to pose for a pic. Sure. No click. He smiled and waited for me to advance the film. CLICK. Maybe the coolest shot I ever took. Cal Ripken Jr. before Game 8 of the streak in the dugout. Then I unbelievably took a big step, gave my camera to my mom and went into the dugout and sat next to Cal.( wish she took a pic of that!) We chatted for a minute about him eating sunflower seeds instead of chew(even back then). I had a blank American League ball that I brought and had him sign it, and then I started down the dugout for some others. Other kids saw this and started to enter too. When I got to Eddie Murray, he yelled at the usher to "get these kids outta here". It was over like that. I waved at Cal and said thanks, he smiled and nodded. I was floating on air. Meeting my Brewers on the field and the Orioles in the dugout was more than I ever imagined. Cal played third that night and hit career homer #4 too.
I didn't know Cal at the time, but I followed him and was so excited when he was named rookie of the year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 018.jpg (46.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-07-2017, 09:28 PM

Better pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (40.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-08-2017, 02:08 AM
Tim

Default Rookie Cal.......

Very cool story..........memories you'll cherish forever. Good to hear Cal was so nice to you, and took the time to sign your baseball and converse. Eddie Murray...........well, that's a different story.