NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-15-2017, 04:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Just a Theoretical Question

(Let me preface this by saying I'm not looking for opinions on an actual item, I only believe this to be an interesting question...)

If someone uses a typewriter and types out their name, would that be considered a legitimate autograph?? I mean, the person used their own hands/fingers to put their name down on paper.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:16 PM

Darren

Zero percent is my view

T
Old 11-15-2017, 05:07 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

No.

How would you prove the person typed their own name, as opposed to someone else typing the name.

Also, taking it a bit further, what about autopens. What if someone used an autopen to "write" their own signature.

I say no to both. To be considered an authentic signature or autograph, the person must actually hand-write their own name on the item.

Causing a machine or other artificial device to write the signature, does not count.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 11-15-2017, 05:25 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
(Let me preface this by saying I'm not looking for opinions on an actual item, I only believe this to be an interesting question...)

If someone uses a typewriter and types out their name, would that be considered a legitimate autograph?? I mean, the person used their own hands/fingers to put their name down on paper.
I would say it depends on the auction house/seller selling it. There are some out there that would argue it is real, rare, and worth large amounts of cash.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
No.
How would you prove the person typed their own name, as opposed to someone else typing the name.
I am speaking literally. The person DID type their name. There is no question of 'authenticity.'

Of course I concede that the obvious answer to my original question is no, but since it is a person putting their name to paper, it certainly makes the scenario interesting. Say, for instance, Reggie Jackson is at a signing, you hand him a picture to sign and he loads it into a typewriter and taps out his name on it...is that an autograph??

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:34 PM

Hell... I don't even like carbon copy signatures. And you can certainly argue that they are "real" autographs.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:54 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Suppose you sign a document electronically - with a stylus or your finger.

What happens to the real autograph you just signed???
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Suppose you sign a document electronically - with a stylus or your finger.

What happens to the real autograph you just signed???
Now that is really interesting. Consider an iPad Pro, running some Notes app, and an Apple Pencil. You sign your name with the pencil on the screen. One could argue, I suppose, that the signature that appears as you sign your name is a real autograph. But now you save the document. And duplicate it. There are now two identical files. But only the original is the real autograph. The files differ only in their time stamps--the earlier file is the original. But given one of those electronic files, one cannot ever tell whether it is the original, or the two-hundredth copy.
I'll stick to collecting fountain pen autographic material.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:45 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

It would be their own typewriting. Though experts can identify which typewriter was used to type a document.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:41 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

MLB and a company called Egraphs did something similar a few years ago. They offered a personalized "signed" photo with a sound clip included of certain players that participated. You could get the player to say a short clip that was supposed to be added to the 'signed" picture frame. I understood going in that the signature would just be a facsimile, but it would be personalized and the sound clip of the player would also be added. Since I was collecting all of Jim Thome's HR tickets I wanted to get him to say/write something about it. So this is what I got back. the only problem I had with it was that the sound clip was not included ON the frame, but emailed to you in a file! They led us to believe that it would be on the item in some way. So I bought a cheap record-able sound chip (like they have in those birthday cards that play music) and recorded the sound clip and added it to the frame myself. It didn't record very loud but it is on the frame now. I wrote to the company explaining how I thought I was misled about the sound bite and to their credit they did refund my money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egraph.jpg (70.2 KB, 71 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears