NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Glyn Parson

Default Well

Now you know how dealers feel when someone tells them VCP is ($blank) well if that was all i wanted id give it to PWCC or other auction and move on to the next buy.

Last edited by glynparson; 09-12-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
I believe that it means that you have strong desire to own the card and you will buy at fair price and will not try to negotiate a lower one . I have seen the term used for beaters when trying to complete sets. I may be wrong ???
^^This is how I see it also^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The key word is 'fair price'.....fair to the buyer? or fair to the seller? I have had GREAT transactions on here. However, when someone reaches out to me looking a particular card, their expected "buy prices" are seldom fair - they are usually wanting them for less than Ebay.
15% less than eBay if fair to both parties. Seller gets within a few cents of the real amount they receive after fees from eBay sale. Buyer gets a discount and probably buys from that seller again.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
^^This is how I see it also^^

15% less than eBay if fair to both parties. Seller gets within a few cents of the real amount they receive after fees from eBay sale. Buyer gets a discount and probably buys from that seller again.
How is selling for less than you can on EBay fair to the dealer? That certainly wouldn't be paying strong. 5% below EBay would be fair to both.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:14 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
How is selling for less than you can on EBay fair to the dealer? That certainly wouldn't be paying strong. 5% below EBay would be fair to both.
5% is fair also. The buyer saves 5% and the seller gets 10% more cash than if sold on eBay for the same price.

As a buyer I might return to the seller giving 5% and making more $ in their pocket. I will definitely go back to the seller giving 15% off and getting the same exact money as they would get from eBay after fees.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:24 PM
C.hris Bl.and

I use terms like "paying strong" or "paying above market" to attract people who may have a card I want, but would only sell for what many would consider an exorbitant price.

For example, an M101-6 of Gavvy Cravath books for 175 dollars in the Standard Catalog - if someone had one I would gladly pay 6-7x that for it, maybe more. There might be 2-3 other collectors out there who would pay that much for the card - this is not a Goudey Ruth.

Someone that had this card probably got it quite a while ago in all likelihood (I haven't seen one for sale publicly) so maybe my offer to "pay strong" would convince them to sell a card that has a narrow market for a nice chunk of change - can't hurt to try on my side...

M101-6 Felix Mendelsohn (any)
1929 Kashin 5x7 Premiums
N172 Old Judge Portraits
Any 1939 Ted Williams cards
1939 Exhibits Lou Gehrig

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972
Old 09-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Ralph Gee

Default strong

After the words " paying strong "..later on comes " what the least you'll take for it "
Old 09-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-illini View Post
I use terms like "paying strong" or "paying above market" to attract people who may have a card I want, but would only sell for what many would consider an exorbitant price.
This is where I've seen it most useful. I've never used it myself, but I've seen the best response with this.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default 15%

15% below eBay price is a fair price, considering that eBay takes 12% and PayPal takes 3%, so it would be a wash for the seller and the buyer would save 15%.

1916 Weil Baking 18 down 182 to go

1917 Weil Baking 3 down 197 to go

T213-2 100 down 85 to go.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
15% below eBay price is a fair price, considering that eBay takes 12% and PayPal takes 3%, so it would be a wash for the seller and the buyer would save 15%.
When did EBay start taking 12%? It was 10% for the card that I sold last month. Also, EBay discounts off that. The seller is losing 2% + and the buyer is the only one with savings. Fair is both buyer and seller meeting in the middle, not one taking all the savings plus more.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Mark Medlin

If all cards have an exact value, then auctions are obsolete.