NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Default this ever happened to you with a vintage auction item?

Posted By: dennis

we all know certain sellers have a reputation and their items sell for more than if we sell them. anyway here's my item. about 2 years ago i sold off my baseball stadium post cards on ebay. i had an ex+/nm yankee stadium postcard unmarked and undated it was from early in the stadiums existance. in my discription i guessed 1923.anyway mine sold for $15 or so dollars. a couple of months later henry yee sold the exact same postcard that had correspondance on the back and was postmarked 1923 in about vg- for about 20x what mine went for. did this ever happened to you?

Old 01-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

almost nothing will surprise you (except when a seller lists several cards you are looking for on eBay - that's always a good surprise). One of the sruprises I love on eBay is when you have a Buy It Now - someone bids instead of using it, and your item sells for more than the Buy It Now. Then, on the other hand when you items isn't on eBay 10 minutes before someone Buys It Now - makes you think you asked too little for the item.

I think in your case, it was the difference in your description and the other seller's - he was able to list a specific date. Always remember if you are rather new to eBay or the area of what you are listing, before listing an item do a search in ALL catagories for similar items that have sold - look at the three or so that sold for the most and almost copy their heading word for word (almost not exactly). Also, list the in the same category or categories they did. You item should at least come close to what that seller received, unless there were just two people fighting for something they both wanted - one won theirs in that auction and now the other party doesn't have the high bidding competition.

Also, always list something close to what you have in it. And, if you make a profit no matter how small or large then you did well! If all of us started comparing our sales to others (like Mastronet) for particular items, we would all be sad. Bottom line - if you are happy with the price you received compared to what you paid for the item - you did well!

Old 01-02-2005, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Yurg...

I sold a Colgan's Cobb to an unsavory dealer (all the savory ones were out of town) for about $150, and he sold it for $1,200. Guess it was a pretty nice Cobb...

But this is a collectpotr selling to a dealer (DON'T!), not one collector comparing his sale of an item with another dealer's sale of the same item.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

My theory is that if I sell something for a profit and the buyer (especially a normal collector) sells it for another profit, that's a good thing. We should both be happy. I never saw how it was desirable to sell something for an over inflated price so that the collector loses big money down the road. Tough way to get repeat business.

Along the lines of Scott, I once had one of my little booklets for sale on eBay with a BIN of like $9 and, a shock to me as much as anyone else, the thing was eventually won for like $40. I told the winner that I couldn't sell it to him for $40 (trust me, it wasn't worth $40), and would only accept the BIN plus shipping. At first he thought I was trying to pull a fast one, until it sunk in that I was lowering the price.

While I like $$ and a good sale as much as everyone else, I suspect I am not in the minority when I say that I feel guilty if an item of mine sells for way too much.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:23 AM
Administrator

I once sold a collection of news service photos to a collector. It was a nice collection with Ruth, Jimmie Foxx, Walter Johnson, Buck Weaver, etc. He later told me he framed them and put them on the wall of his den. About two years later his wife had a baby, and the photos had to go as the den was now a baby room. He put the entire collection in one lot on eBay with the BIN being the exact price I sold it to him for. Looking over the photos for the first time in the two years, I thought "Hey, that's a pretty good price" and bought them all back for my sell price.

Old 01-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Administrator

I get a kick when you sell a celebrity signed bank check for more than the original amount of the check (Obviously the current value is in the signature not the $ amount it was written out for).

I told my sister that I am such a marketing genius that I sold a $10 check for $40.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trae R.

I enjoyed reading your posts Hank.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

please seach prior posts on Henry yee here on this board.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I sold a PSA 7 Paul krause (football) rookie card that was returned to me because (so the buyer claimed) the mailman had broken the holder in transit. The envelope had a tire track on it. I relisted the card, which had sustained a crease across its middle, and got more for it than the original buyer paid.

Like much in life, it is all about timing.