NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2021, 04:47 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default eBay question - what would you do?

I sold some guy a $85 card last night. This morning he asked me to cancel his bid, as the 4 bids below him were all from same guy with 0 feedback. Runner up bidder had probably moved the line a total of $10. Was convinced someone had run him up. I have no idea who the runner up bidder was, and I've seen more than a little of that crap with modern cards. I wanted to tell him to pound sand, but don't need grief with anyone and just cancelled his winning bid, re-listed it, and moved on. Right call? I mean no one held a gun to this guy's head and made him bid anything.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-24-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:52 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I would vote for the sand option,
Old 08-24-2021, 04:55 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I think you made the right move. As a seller, I've learned that someone who is a pain to deal with before you even send anything is likely to be a pain later on as well.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:05 PM
Howard Chasser

Default cancel and move on.

$85 not worth the energy.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:07 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I think you made the right move. As a seller, I've learned that someone who is a pain to deal with before you even send anything is likely to be a pain later on as well.
Great advise..
Old 08-24-2021, 05:40 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
Great advise..
Agreed

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-24-2021, 05:56 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Definitely not worth fighting with them about it. Irrational buyers will just leave you negative feedback if they don't get their way. I pretty much always just let people cancel bids or sales for whatever reason they want. Just relist it. It's not that big of a deal, in my opinion.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:01 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I would just cancel it, but also probably add him to my block list. If he did it once, I would bet he'd do it again.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 08-24-2021, 06:20 PM
Dave

LOL, almost anybody whose won a competitive auction got “run up” by somebody.

Wonder what his comfort level for other bidders are. 1 feedback? 2 feedback?

That said, not much you can do about it.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:34 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
$85 not worth the energy.
Yeah, and I've had situations where a sale fell through and the next sale is higher anyway.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:50 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Yeah, and I've had situations where a sale fell through and the next sale is higher anyway.
This...I had a guy renege on a $1,000 offer for a Mantle card I had. I accepted his offer and he told me to pound sand. I ended up selling the card to a buyer in Australia for $1,400. He was pleased as punch.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:45 PM
Howard Chernick

I had a buyer who won a card last week. He wanted to cancel transaction 10 minutes after he won it. The reason: it would take too long to arrive.

Pissed me off but all I could do was cancel the transaction and block him.

It's all part of doing business on eBay. Just cancel and move on. But make sure that you block them..

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 08-24-2021, 10:06 PM
Fred

WWJD?

He'd probably get a little pissed off, figure it wasn't worth the effort and do what you did. I guess this is someone to throw on the your list of blocked bidders. You could out the butthead and then everyone on this board could block him. It would be kind of funny if that actually made an impact on the butthead's ebay bidding experience.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:39 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I would just cancel it, but also probably add him to my block list. If he did it once, I would bet he'd do it again.
+1

Definitely add him to your blocked bidder list.
Old 08-25-2021, 01:43 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
I had a buyer who won a card last week. He wanted to cancel transaction 10 minutes after he won it. The reason: it would take too long to arrive.

Pissed me off but all I could do was cancel the transaction and block him.

It's all part of doing business on eBay. Just cancel and move on. But make sure that you block them..
I can see it now. JC flipping over tables at the National.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:53 AM
Chris Rudd

If you held the line, I would be worried he would damage the card and then return it as "not as described." I'm sure people do it anyway if they get buyer's remorse after it ships.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2021, 10:00 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Very Wise decision you made. Those type of buyers are nothing but TROUBLE!
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 08-25-2021, 10:30 AM

This thread gets even more interesting if the buyers you talk about and/or block on ebay are net54 members.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:50 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Out the MOFO here so we can all block him. I've gotten a few 'why am I blocked, we've never done business' PMs from people I've blocked based on feedback from other sellers. Always a fun reply: "because you screwed over a friend of mine in another deal."

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 08-25-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:15 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

When I was a seller I learned through successful sales that some 0 or low number bidders are simply new to eBay. I'd be nervous on expensive items, but learned that the 0 or 2 bidders were just as reliable (or unreliable) as high number bidders.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:00 PM
Tim Odeen

I just bought a $10 card from 2021 A&G from a seller with 1 feedback. He contacted me asking for positive feedback when the card showed up. While I was encouraged a seller actually contacted me, I thought to myself, either he had to create a new account, or this dude just decided to jump into the surge. Hopefully it's the latter. Current state of the hobby has made me a cynic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 08-25-2021, 02:08 PM
T0NY @

Cancel it and move on. Better times ahead!
Old 08-25-2021, 02:54 PM
Bill Cauley

About a year ago I had a card listed at auction on there and one guy was the leading bidder for a few days. Then someone else came along, zero feedback, and kept bidding in $5 increments over the course of about 20 minutes. Had about 6 bids. Later I went and looked and saw that he had placed another bid, was the leading bidder, and immediately retracted that bid.

Bidding went higher from others and this zero feedback guy starts bidding again, even going higher than the bid he retracted. Not surprisingly, the guy who had been the lead bidder for a few days also retracted his bid. I can't blame the guy based on what this 0 feedback bidder was doing and he probably thought I was shilling my own auction.

I ended up going in and cancelling all of the bids from the 0 feedback bidder and blocking him. To cap it all off, someone else bid with two minutes left and won. Then asked to cancel 10 minutes after the auction ended.

Not wanting to deal with any further nonsense, I cancelled it and relisted. Ended up selling for about $30 more.

Last edited by BCauley; 08-25-2021 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Add last couple of sentences.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:14 PM
Ron Rice

Default shill bidding?

Here's a dark thought for you. The guy with 0 feedback might be a shill bidder for some other Ebay seller. He might have the twisted logic that throwing in a few bids on other sellers' auctions might hide that he is mainly a shill bidder for one particular seller. Not you, of course, but the buyer seeing that bidding pattern might make him nervous about getting shilled and overpaying. Panic over $10 is comical, though.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:27 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
This
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 08-26-2021, 07:16 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Definitely not worth fighting with them about it. Irrational buyers will just leave you negative feedback if they don't get their way. I pretty much always just let people cancel bids or sales for whatever reason they want. Just relist it. It's not that big of a deal, in my opinion.
Yes, move on.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:19 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I can see it now. JC flipping over tables at the National.
If I knew that was going down I might actually get to a national for the first time.