NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Alan Elefson

Default 1891 Boston vs Pittsburg Poster

Hi-
I recently acquired the 1891 railroad poster pictured below. At the bottom it states that a train ticket purchase will also provide admission to a game at the South End Grounds between Boston and Pittsburg.
Was this a common cross promotion? I have seen dozens of similar railroad posters but never looked at them closely (now I will). Does anyone else have any similar baseball/railroad items to show? Any infomration regarding this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1484[1].jpg (56.4 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1487[1].jpg (50.3 KB, 341 views)
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Can't offer any help Alan.

Though I just learned where Downer Ldg and Melville Gdn was likely located, out by Nantasket... It must have been a beautiful sail and fun harbor park. ".. lovely grounds, bowling, golf, concerts, fireworks, topiaries, clam bakes, dancing. "

Incidentally, That had to have been one l o n g summer day for the far away Worcester folk, especially with the ball game. One dollar was a steal as admission just to the Gardens was 60cents in 1871.

Thanks for posting. Terrific piece of Beantown Harbor history there.

*Samuel Downer, who originally lived one street from us in Dorchester (Downer Ave) held the patent for kerosene and had great interest in the Boston rail industry. His kerosene would need to be transported from the docks to the burbs. A connection to baseball, I can't find -yet.

The site of the Downer Landing in Hingham, Mass (adjacent to Nantasket Bch) is also on a Downer Ave and the site is now the exclusive HYC and multi million dollar homes. Contrasting sharply with my old Downer Ave, graced with triple-deckers, junk cars, chickenwire street hockey nets and stray animals. Sam was lucky to get out!.. For me, this is great trivia feed. Thanks again Alan.

Site of Melville Gardens, Downer Ave. Hingham Mass. Nantasket Bch is in the distant background
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crow point.jpg (62.1 KB, 270 views)

Last edited by Ladder7; 10-26-2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: discoveries
Old 10-25-2010, 07:42 PM

Wonderful piece, Alan! Thanks for posting it. Unfortunately, I can't help with your questions.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Alan Elefson

Thanks guys! Steve, I really appreciate the ancillary information. I never thought about how long of a day that was.
Alan
Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 AM

Alan

I have seen or owned maybe 5-10 Railroad flyers (never posters as big as yours) that have advertisements for either Baseball or Football games like yours. However, ALL the ones I have seen or owned have been for College teams though (Harvard/Yale etc.) so having a Professional game advertisement is neat.

Rhys
Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Max Weder

Alan

I've seen a few baseball/railway flyers, but all have been from the 1940s or so. I have one from that era (at either St Louis or Cincinnati, as I recall), and I'll try and remember to take a photo. Never seen one that early, and a very cool item.

Max
Old 10-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Jimmy

Default 1891 Boston vs Pittsburg Poster

Alan,

I have to say you always find interesting items, large broadside type advertising from the 19th century can be difficult to find. I have seen a few similar to yours for boxing matches. It was common to cross promote with other posters, but many like yours did not survive. Thanks for sharing - very neat poster

Jimmy
Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
Thanks guys! Max I would love to see the 1940s one. Rhys, if you still have an image of the college one could you post it? Thanks again for everyone's help.
Alan
Old 10-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

Here's one from 1932. It refers to Cleveland's new stadium, which opened in 1931. In addition to it being an early Cleveland Stadium item, I like it because of the mentions of Ruth and Gehrig. It measures 7 x 18.5 inches.

Some excerpts of the text:

Major League Baseball
in Cleveland's Mammoth Stadium
Where 81,184 (world's record attendance) saw the first Major League
game in this giant sports arena. Just a short walk
from The Union Terminal on Public Square.

See the league leading "Yanks" and fighting "Indians" with a galaxy
of sluggers, crack pitchers and expert fielders in the last Sunday battle
of the season between these two teams.

LOOK 'EM OVER -- Ruth, Gehrig, Dickey, Lazzeri, Gomez, Ruffing,
Averill, Porter, Vosmik, Sewell, Morgan, Kamm, Cissell, Harder,
Hildebrand and others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1574.jpg (78.7 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by Rob D.; 10-26-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Alan Elefson

Very cool Rob! I also like the stadium photo.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:50 AM

Default excursion posters

http://sportsantiques.com/PurdueNWBBPost.htm
Alan, You're probably looking for baseball ones, but if you scroll down 3/4 down the page of the link above you'll see two football excursion broadsides...actually I address the genera briefly in the story...the Michigan one was in the booth of Tony Busineau at the last National he did...Tony always had Michigan stuff....that one was very tall like 3 feet

Old 11-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Alan Elefson

Thanks Carlton! Very cool posters and article.
Alan