NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Default Could this Honus Wagner be real?

Posted By: Duane

My father inherited old scrap books from his grandfather about 30 years ago. He found a Joe Dimagio play ball card in poor condition because of glue damage. He also found a bunch more cards ranging from the early nineteen hundreds to the 40's. He has also recovered preprobition cincinnati rare beer labels dating in the early 1900's. A couple of days ago he came across a honus wagner card behind an envelope which contain some old stamps in one of the scrap books. It appears to be a 1909 T-206 I believe. It is in pretty good condition except for a wrinkle right of center. It looks genuine in my opinion. The only thing I am having trouble with is that it has a white blank backing. His grandfather died in the mid-seventies so it could be a replica, but there is a good chance it is real.
I researched a little bit about blank backs and it seems that proofs were made before the final print with no back. The ink looks very old and has no gloss whatsoever. From what I have been told his grandfather only saved cards from his earlier years and I tried to research honus wagner reprints from the pre 70's and 70's, but I can't find any. Could it be real?

Old 04-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

scans would answer these questions very quickly.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Administrator

What do you mean by scan?

Old 04-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Dan means if you could post a scan (computer picture) of the front and back of the card here so it can be seen, the answer could be forthcoming. I am not aware of any reprints or reproductions which have blank backs however a backing could have been peeled or skinned off. A scan would show the presence of proof marks on the cards which all T206 proofs have. If it doesn't have it, it could be cut from an advertising poster although again I have never heard of a Wagner on any advertising poster.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Administrator

I really appreciate your help. My family and I are holding are breath because the chances are really good considering the vast collection of rare things we have come accross in his old collection.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:31 PM
Administrator

my dad says that there is proof marking on the back what does that mean.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

We can't help you if you do not show us pictures of the card. Your situation, story sounds great but is a very common story amongst ebay auctions. Please post pictures, thanks.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Administrator

I talked to my father on my cell. He lives in cincinnati and I reside in Columbus. When he gets home he is going to take a digital picture of the front and back and send it to me. If you all could check up on this post tomorrow I would really appreciate it. I am a little nervy and I just want to figure out if its real or not so I can get a decent nights sleep.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

from the 19th century did the collection include? I'm certain others here would also like to know. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Administrator

I will take some pictures of his collection next week when I am back in cincy for you all. My grandfather liked to glue his cards to his scrap books so some are damaged pretty bad, but I think they are pretty neat.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

Wow - Sounds interesting. Can't wait! Seems like you might become a millionaire overnight. Congratulations! I was just getting ready to bid on a t206 Honus Wagner on Ebay that someone amazingly found in an attic when moving into an old house, but I'm going to wait for your scan and bid on it if offered on ebay. This is quite exciting!!!

Old 04-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

The scrapbooks were inherited 35 years ago...

and it took your family THIS LONG to find the Honus Wagner card...

yet you found beer bottle labels immediately?

Does one of the stamps in the envelope with the Wagner card have an upside down airplane on it?

Old 04-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Administrator

my dad collects beer labels and glasses from preprobition and not stamps. The card was inbetween a envelope full of stamps that he didn't care about until he started to sell a lot of things on ebay. He discovered it while pulling out the envelope.

Old 04-16-2005, 09:34 PM
Administrator

I don't care about stamps I am just relaying information from my father in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Old 04-16-2005, 11:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

Pre-proHIbition. Cant wait to see the pics.

Old 04-17-2005, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Hal, that was funny.

Old 04-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Administrator

It was the first time I ever tried to spell it and I figured you all would get the point anyway as you did because you corrected me.