NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-14-2014, 05:23 AM
D@vid Mor1@rty

Default $1.3 Million in cards stolen from Buffalo, NY area store

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...million-theft/
Old 09-14-2014, 06:50 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Wow...15 years for some cardboard? No thanks!
Old 09-14-2014, 07:07 AM
Robert Williams

15 years for 1.3 million seems kind of light?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Val Kehl

15 years is the max they could receive - call me a pessimist, I doubt they will receive a sentence anywhere near this lengthy.
Val
Old 09-14-2014, 07:23 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Robbery

Dave and Adam's have always been good to me and I feel the pain. That is an incredible scheme that not only affected D & A but their honest employees as well.

When they first started in Buffalo, I would send them tons of Buffalo Sabres commons and stars and Buffalo Bills cards and they always paid very fairly which was a big help to my little Vermont sportscard store.

Thank you guys if you are on here and hope for the best in your re-building effort after this loss.

peace, mike
Old 09-14-2014, 08:04 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 10-11-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:39 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingstone206 View Post
I wonder what time period those cards walked out of the store... 1.3M is a lot of cards/inventory!
'Between January 1, 2013 and July 17, 2014, Hollars stole over $800,000, Martone stole over $100,000 and Woods stole over $400,000'
Old 09-15-2014, 01:52 PM
Bobby Binder

Sounds fishy to me, 1.3 Million over what 500 days that means they are taking out over $2000 of inventory a day. You would think that it would take them less then a month to realize something was seriously wrong in that store. And it's not like the store is loaded with high end vintage material. The report showed a lot of jerseys and most likely newer cards. So they would basically have to fill up a truck every day with merchandise.

Last edited by BobbyVCP; 09-15-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
Sounds fishy to me, 1.3 Million over what 500 days that means they are taking out over $2000 of inventory a day. You would think that it would take them less then a month to realize something was seriously wrong in that store. And it's not like the store is loaded with high end vintage material. The report showed a lot of jerseys and most likely newer cards. So they would basically have to fill up a truck ever day with merchandise.
Bobby,

I was thinking the same thing - especially when you have to file income tax reports on a quarterly basis, one would think the bookkeeper would have figured something wasn't adding up rather quickly.

Of course when insurance is involved, those 1989 Donruss baseball boxes are now suddenly worth $300 each.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 09-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyVCP View Post
Sounds fishy to me, 1.3 Million over what 500 days that means they are taking out over $2000 of inventory a day. You would think that it would take them less then a month to realize something was seriously wrong in that store. And it's not like the store is loaded with high end vintage material. The report showed a lot of jerseys and most likely newer cards. So they would basically have to fill up a truck every day with merchandise.
There are multiple stores (which could explain why it wasn't noticed immediately) and they stole modern unopened boxes and cases.

Those things can go for a couple grand a pop. I think one of the articles said that they were taking entire pallets of some items! I would imagine a pallet of some of that new high-end crap can go for five figures..

On a side note, I'm shocked that this business was able to stay open with essentially an extra $1.3 million in losses! I'm sure this next year will be a very very very good one by comparison.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rollingstone206; 10-11-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Anthony Rodriguez

the individuals charged were the same folks I would see when I bought stuff from there's, what a shame.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:09 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I wonder what they took?
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:27 AM
Chris Jara

Posted elsewhere online:
It was a computer software flaw that, in the words of the business’ co-owner, turned into “a license to steal” for three employees who took baseball, football and hockey trading cards worth $1.3 million. The $1.3 million represents the retail value of the boxes of cards the three employees stole and does not include any money they made from selling the most valuable of the cards on eBay.

The three who worked at Dave and Adam’s Card World exploited the flaw that let them buy a single box of sports trading cards on a credit card and then purchase additional boxes without being charged.

“They could have been human beings and told us about it, but instead they decided to become criminals,” said Adam Martin, co-owner of the Town of Tonawanda-based trading card company. "If they had come forward and told the company about the flaw, they would have received big bonuses", he said.

But now they face up to 15 years in prison. The three men – Aaron Hollars, 31, of West Seneca; Anthony Martone, 30, of Amherst; and David Woods, 25, of Williamsville – pleaded guilty to second-degree grand larceny this week in Erie County Court, according to District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III.

The trading card company, which started in 1991, will survive thanks to its online sales, Martin said. “If we had only our retail stores, this would have bankrupted us,” Martin said.

But the losses have set back the company. Six employees were laid off. And holiday bonuses the company gives its nearly 70 employees will not be as big.

“These three employees did this without considering how it would affect other employees,” Martin said.

The crime happened over an 18-month period between January 2013 and this July, prosecutors said. The three offenders worked as managers or assistant managers, rotating among the company’s four retail stores in Clarence, the Town of Tonawanda, Orchard Park and Niagara Falls. Hollars discovered the flaw that allowed him to buy a single box of sports trading cards on his credit card, then purchase additional boxes without being charged.

“He decided it was a license to steal,” Martin said.

Hollars told the two others about the flaw one night while they were out drinking, Martin said. All of the stolen boxes contained sports trading cards, mostly of baseball, football and hockey players. Hollars stole more than $800,000 in cards, while Martone got more than $100,000, and Woods collected more than $400,000, prosecutors said.

“It’s very discouraging,” Martin said. “They were close to us. We treated them well.”

Martin said he does not know how many cards the suspects sold on eBay or how much money they obtained from those sales. The theft was discovered earlier this summer when company officials noticed that the amount of money they should have received from credit card sales fell far short of what they got, resulting in losses. The three are scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 8 by Erie County Judge Kenneth F. Case.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Christopher Williams

If anyone here communicates with Dave & Adam's Card World, can you please inform them the below Mantle/Williams sigs they have listed on Ebay are forgeries.

I have attempted to contact them but to no avail.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Mantl...:X:AAQ:US:1123
Old 10-25-2014, 06:12 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
If anyone here communicates with Dave & Adam's Card World, can you please inform them the below Mantle/Williams sigs they have listed on Ebay are forgeries.

I have attempted to contact them but to no avail.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Mantl...:X:AAQ:US:1123
If the Mantle is a forgery( and I do believe you Chris ) then it's a smudged forgery. Very clever .....
Old 10-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If the Mantle is a forgery( and I do believe you Chris ) then it's a smudged forgery. Very clever .....
Yes, Leon, both are poorly-executed and slowly-penned forgeries.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:06 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
15 years is the max they could receive - call me a pessimist, I doubt they will receive a sentence anywhere near this lengthy.
Val
Agreed. How many years did Ken Lay get for Enron?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Agreed. How many years did Ken Lay get for Enron?
I think he passed away prior to sentencing. Skilling, on the other hand, received 15+ years if I remember correctly.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:38 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default forgery

how you know that mantle is a forgery..what is the tell tale sign for future reference..
Old 10-27-2014, 12:30 PM
Cain J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoriano View Post
I think he passed away prior to sentencing. Skilling, on the other hand, received 15+ years if I remember correctly.
A little off topic but Lou Pai Enron former employee actually got away with it.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5411422

TLDR: Lou Pai is a former Enron executive who cashed out $270 million in stock and left the company right before it collapsed, divorced his wife, married an exotic dancer, bought an enormous piece of Colorado, sold it and then disappeared into obscurity.