NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Default "Toy Town Post Office" on 1909 E 92 Dockman cards

Posted By: Wesley 

According to Mastro catalog, cards were issued in 1909 and the "Toy Town Post Office" was stamped on the back in 1910. Is this back stamping on the E92 similar to the "Old Put" overprint on the E98s or the various E94 overprints?

Old 12-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Wes,

There was a thread some time ago about the "Toy Town Post Office" stamp. It's exact origin is still unknown but the general feel is that it was part of some type of toy.

Before the thread I had only seen the stamp on different sets of E-cards but I learned it can be found on tobacco cards as well.

To me it seems like it has no connection to any baseball set or card producer and in my opinion shouldn't be considered the same as a E94/E98 overprint as it just looks like one or more consumers "marked" their cards with the stamp.

If you're selling, it's a "feature".

If you're buying, it shold be considered "defacement".

Old 12-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=153652&messageid=1048365989&lp=1048651713

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=153652&messageid=1051135012&lp=1051380274

Old 12-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

it is nothing other than a prideful owner from several generations past. he used a stamp from a circa 1920's board game and went to town on the cards he had, which appears to be many. this is similar to many obaks found with a gilliam squires stamp(who also had hundreds of cards) or russell sewell, both of which used to be commonly found. in the old days the rubber stamp was proof of ownership.

scott

Old 12-19-2003, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

the center part of an e-unc. cut-from-a-box-of-candy card called "Cy" Young, blue tinted, and not of Young (it's the same guy and pose as the Briggs).
In fact the "toy town post office" stamp on the back is the most interesting thing about it. That's saying..not too much for the card, huh?
I also think, with someone in one of the MW links, that the TTPO stamp was appled by a seller of merchandise, rather than a collector--there are a WHOLE LOT of them! Yes; OUCH for the Ramley!
Anyone who read the whole thread in the second link of MW's post--I don't feel that way about what I'm bidding on now....