NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2003, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Default BCCG...........

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

From the thread about Dr. Bond, I looked at that item and then at all the items he/she/it has for sale. There were a few T206's that had been graded by BCCG. They were graded BCCG5, and, while they did have a descriptor on the top of the card as 'poor or better', that's still deceiving. Beckett should ONLY allow prewar stuff to be graded by BVG but they are seeking the almighty slab dollar and putting a '5' on something that, at best, would have gotten a '2' or 30 from SGC. AT BEST. Anyway, another of the 'legit' grading companies that's dropped any pretense of standards out there. The BCCG name was basically created I believe for all the shop-at-home scams and for Beckett to be able to sell crap on their website for ridiculous prices--given that it was BCCG10--which is basically similar to an EXMT/NRMT card. Anyway, just burned me a little on those T206's......comments?

Old 09-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default BCCG...........

Posted By: Hankron

Tom, I suspect that Beckett regrets having done the BCCC. The BCCC a laughing stock in the hobby ('Poor or Better'-- come on), and I'm sure Beckett is aware of this.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Default BCCG...........

Posted By: Nickinvegas

I purhcased a T206 Chase with a Tolstoi back. The scan was a bit blurry and the desctiption was: 'This card has been graded a 5 by Beckett'. Not aware of the game Beckett was playing I purchased the card. The card was creased throughout, written on the back and had paper loss on the front. I doubt it would have graded a "1" by a legitimate company.

Giving cards that are in Poor condition a "5" is helping crooks deceive honest people.

Nick

Old 09-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Default BCCG...........

Posted By: julie

Someone in the chatroom the other night said (seriously or otherwise), "I only sell near mint-mint graded cards, because they're sure to be trimmed, and I can gyp someone with them."

C'MON...

How many of you really trust any grading company more than your own eyes?

Old 09-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Default BCCG...........

Posted By: runscott

I said the other night in the Chat Room that I NEVER buy graded NM-MT graded cards except to re-sell, or to crack out of the holder and keep. I am certain that many cards have "become" high-grade due to trimming, and now reside in plastic holders. I personally do not care to own any of them, and since in most cases I can't tell by looking through the plastic whether or not a card has been altered, and since I also don't care to pay the premium associated with minor improvements in the edge of the cardboard (even if natural) that in no way affect the beauty of the actual image, I don't care to purchase these plastic prisoners with questionable histories.

Many (perhaps most) who buy PSA 8 and above cards are buying the holder, not the cardboard. Once the label has been inserted into the plastic, the true condition of the card within is almost irrelevant. On the rare ocassions when I have purchased high-grade PSA cards, I never had any intention of doing anything other than turning them around to make a few bucks to support my habit. If, on the other hand, I could tell that the card had been trimmed, or knew things about the history of the card that made me think it had been trimmed, I certainly WOULD NOT re-sell it without describing my thoughts to the potential customers.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default BCCG...........

Posted By: petecld

Julie,

AMEN, Julie, AMEN!!!!

Always buy the card, not the holder.

Old 09-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Default BCCG...........

Posted By: runscott

I would buy a high-grade slabbed OJ if someone like Jay Miller were to take a look at it first and tell me it was unaltered (If I wanted such a card). Same for T202's and Brian Hodes, Scott Brockelman and Ramly's, or BMW and most any issue...or Lee Behrens and beat-up t206s .

I can spot alterations on most issues, but haven't figured out yet how to spot really professional x-acto knife jobs - if anyone has some hints on how to do this, please post.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Default BCCG...........

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I will gladly authenticate any ratty original T206's, my motto is nothing to nice for me, they must have a flaw or they go back on the market.

But I am always looking for a bargain and it means a higher grade card I will attempt to purchase it, but I will continue being the King of the Ratty T206's, because I am happy with them. I can get alot of T206 ratty commons for one Nrmt common.

Old 09-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Default BCCG...........

Posted By: TBob

are PSA 4s and 5s and SGC 40s and 50s. Everyone wants higher condition cards so they pay a huge premium for them. The VGEXish and EXish cards are usually unaltered, nice shape collectible cards. Plus you will always be able to sell them for more than you paid for them.