NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-28-2016, 04:05 PM
Grant Wescott

Default Lemon ball too good to be true?

I bought this ball from a bi-annual flea market/antique show here in Washington State this weekend. The seller had a lot of interesting items, most of which were not sports related, but he appeared to be reputable.

He said he purchased this ball around 25 years ago from an antique shop in Illinois. It's in amazing shape, which is why I was hesitant to purchase it, but in the end I decided not to pass on it. The ball is softer than a normal baseball. He said he worked it some to make it round, but it was more egg shaped when he bought it.

Does anyone know what I have here? Real deal? Repro? I don't know if there are certain attributes to look for when dating these but any help would be...helpful Thanks!

Last edited by Ghumbs; 05-28-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:20 PM
William Peebles

It's a modern ball made for use in 1860s rules play. Looks to have been made to look older than it is. Could easily be 25 years old though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 05-28-2016, 04:27 PM
Grant Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_9 View Post
It's a modern ball made for use in 1860s rules play. Looks to have been made to look older than it is. Could easily be 25 years old though.

Thanks for the info and I trust you know a thing or two about these types of balls. What gives it away as modern?
Old 05-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghumbs View Post
Thanks for the info and I trust you know a thing or two about these types of balls. What gives it away as modern?
William knows
Old 05-28-2016, 05:54 PM
Grant Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
William knows
Sure. I was just hoping to learn something out of the experience.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:37 PM
Joe

As you said, to good to be true, it's modern IMO. You are best off familiarizing yourself with what a 150 year old ball would look like, even under the best conditions. Here is a good source of examples:

http://www.baseballglovecollector.co...on-peel-balls/

Here is the best condition ball I think I have ever seen, and at least the leather and thread show some age.

image.jpg
Old 05-28-2016, 08:33 PM
Grant Wescott

Thanks, that's a really good link. When I come across balls like these, it makes me doubt my doubts. Mine doesn't appear to be too far off of the examples below. Now obviously I'm going to be the most biased here, but does it basically come down to provenance on these since they aren't marked? Or are there certain attributes to look for other than condition like materials, techniques, etc?

Last edited by Ghumbs; 05-28-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Joe

Quote:
Thanks, that's a really good link. When I come across balls like these, it makes me doubt my doubts. Mine doesn't appear to be too far off of the examples below. Now obviously I'm going to be the most biased here, but does it basically come down to provenance on these since they aren't marked? Or are there certain attributes to look for other than condition like materials, techniques, etc?

Good questions, but I think you are seeing what you want to see. What about the other 100 examples on that site that look nothing like your ball?? It doesn't come down to provenance, it basically comes down to condition and age of the leather and thread, and yours looks like it was made yesterday. I thought you might hone in on those two examples. To be honest not sure the authenticity of everything on that site can be confirmed, but the top ball picture is blurry so you can't really tell the condition, and I don't think the bottom ball looks like yours - it at least shows some age.

You should also know that these balls are reproduced a lot today for use in playing vintage rules ball - as a couple people have told you.

Hope this helps some.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:01 AM
Grant Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Good questions, but I think you are seeing what you want to see. What about the other 100 examples on that site that look nothing like your ball?? It doesn't come down to provenance, it basically comes down to condition and age of the leather and thread, and yours looks like it was made yesterday. I thought you might hone in on those two examples. To be honest not sure the authenticity of everything on that site can be confirmed, but the top ball picture is blurry so you can't really tell the condition, and I don't think the bottom ball looks like yours - it at least shows some age.

You should also know that these balls are reproduced a lot today for use in playing vintage rules ball - as a couple people have told you.

Hope this helps some.
While it's true I want to see this as a nice example of an 1860s ball, I really want to know more about what to look for. Generally with these types of things, the simplest answer is the truth. But on the off chance this ball was never used and always kept in a box all those years, i don't imagine the leather would have aged much at all. Now the likelihood of that being the case is low, but it does seem plausible.

Am I hearing that this ball is not authentic because it's in too good of condition? Or is there something else that is more concrete like the way it was stitched or the tanning of the leather?

I have come across many of the reproductions in my research, but none of them matched the same leather or stitching of this one.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:43 AM
Jim

Great thread guys. Grant, unfortunately, I agree with the consensus. I know you are looking for concrete explanations on how to tell if a ball is that old but I don't think any of us can tell you definitively. You just have to familiarize yourself with all the known exemplars I guess or see a bunch in person.

More often than not, they are crude, not uniform and nowhere near perfectly stitched. They were all handmade in different fashions by spouses of players, blacksmiths, saddle makers, etc.

I have a number of reproductions because they are so cool looking and they display well. Fun to talk to others about the evolution of the ball.

I would respect William's opinion above all else as I consider him an expert in this matter. You and Joe brought up a good point about those two suspect balls on my site. Now that I look back, I have my doubts too.

So, should I take those down guys? If you see any others that may be reproductions, please let me know so I can remove them. Appreciate it.

JD
www.baseballglovecollector.com
Old 05-29-2016, 04:03 PM
William Peebles

Sorry, I'm on vacation... The pattern matches up perfectly with modern recreations which favor manufacturing simplicity and durability over accuracy. While it's certainly possible for a homemade lemon peel from the middle of the 19c to have large stitches, most stitches on genuine examples tend to be on the smaller side. The pattern on your ball is very uniform as well, also a sign of a newer ball. There are a lot of outlets for these modern balls with this pattern. To my knowledge, all are made in China and most likely by the same factory. If yours is 20-30 years old, it probably has real leather, and may have even been made in America, but I can't say for certain. Real leather will tone and/or darken with time and use. Yours probably started life as a brown ball and developed its surface over the course of a game or two, maybe longer. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of additional aging if someone were inclined to deceive after the fact.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 05-29-2016, 05:28 PM
Kevin O'Gara

guys like me know it's a repro. Modern ball. You need to know stitching etc. Those were usually if not always hand sewn. Here are real examples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150902_215500.jpg (74.1 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 20150902_215406.jpg (76.2 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 20150902_215438.jpg (76.8 KB, 149 views)
Old 05-29-2016, 06:30 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default um

a few more from an older pic........

btw - no question your ball isn't an old and original lemon peel. Beside the uniformity of the holes and how the "thread" is sitting in the holes, obvious lack of age (what would be 120 - 150 year old leather and cloth stitching) and general "feel" - it can be linked to the style and production of a modern day ball.........

some things just come to be understood after some time and experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4morphy9.jpg (75.7 KB, 146 views)
Old 05-30-2016, 09:25 AM
Grant Wescott

Amazing examples guys. Thanks for the photos and additional information. I agree the ball is a lemon, but not a lemon ball
Old 05-30-2016, 05:11 PM
Dave

Quote:
The seller had a lot of interesting items, most of which were not sports related, but he appeared to be reputable.

He said he purchased this ball around 25 years ago from an antique shop in Illinois.
Unrelated, this reminds me of all the calls I've gotten over the years, at least a couple dozen, describing to me this huge collection of Ring Magazines they've had passed down to them, covering anywhere from the 1970's to the 1990's.

Just by coincidence they just so happen to have the very first issue of Ring Magazine published in 1922. Not the 2nd issue, or 3rd issue or any other issues from the 1920's.......but the 1st.....and it's in Mint condition.

I have to explain to them there's a 99.999% chance it's a reprint that Ring Magazine put out in 1991 to celebrate their upcoming 70th Anniversary. It's supposedly made from the original printing plates. Almost an exact replica in every way except it's smaller format, and on obviously newer paper.

I had one guy explain to me, his Grandfather would never have a reprint in his collection, and that he's had this for at least 25 years. I had to calmly explain to him that 1991 was 25 years ago.

I'm pretty sure the guy swore at me, and then hung up the phone.

On a related note, from all the old boxing gloves I've handled over the years, any leather product anywhere near the age of that ball is supposed to be, would have extensive crackling to it, even if it was used very little.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 05-30-2016 at 05:13 PM.