NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Default Pennant Quilt Pickup Opinions

Posted By: Keith

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some opinions regarding a recent pickup of mine. It is a large circa 1910 quilt that is decorated with approximately 30 vintage pennants. Most of the pennants are college or tourist/advertising pennants, but 2 of them caught my eye. 1 is a circa 1910? oversized White Sox pennant which measures in at about 38 inches long. The other is a 30 inch pennant that reads Metropoliton, with the letters MBC on the left. Could this be for the Metropolitan Baseball Club? The quilt does have some condition issues with some pennants missing, and loose stictching in areas. I was considering removing the pennants because of the condition, and based on some of the loose stitching, this could be done very easily, and the pennants would come off great with no damage. I wanted to get your opinion regarding the date and value of the Sox pennant, and as well get your opinion on the possiblity of the Metropolitan pennant being for the Metropolitan baseball club. Also, in your opinion, would it be quilt despite its condition have more value in its entirety, and would it be unwise for me to remove the pennants?

Thanks guys

Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I don't know about the Metropolitans, but that does appear to be a killer White Sox Pennant, circa 1910 or so (great estimate!)

The choice of whether to remove it or not is yours, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally would remove the White Sox Pennant and frame it. Oversized Pennants of this vintage are exceedingly rare and desirable.

As for value, the condition appears compromised, and it's inevitably going to have lots of stitching holes. I would still estimate the value at around $1,600 - $2,000. This is a variation I've never seen, and it might be a lone surviving example. If two bidders in an auction really wanted it, they could easily drive the price up over $4,000.

I believe the Pennant alone has more value than the total Quilt. If the Metropolitans Pennant is what you think/hope, then there is no question of that. Perhaps another member can chime in with more info/opinions on that one. Great post, and amazing pickup... Congrats!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

I don't think the Metropolitan is a team pennant.

The Sox pennant is terrific. Is the player on it a piece of brown felt that is coming away? I would have it removed and that player re-stitched.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Thanks Mike and Mark.

Yes, the player on the Sox pennant is a thick felt and it is a little loose in some areas. Is there someone that is reputable in restoring/restitching these type of items? Also, as to the thread holes, in the area of the pennant that has come loose from the quilt, the holes are barely noticeable, so I don't anticipate that being a major blemish on the pennant. I probably won't be hanging onto the quilt/or sox pennant as I am mostly a football collector and have talked to a couple different people about selling it/consigning it already.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Wow! Great pickup Keith....do you mind telling us where you acquired the quilt and how much you gave for it? The only thing I can think of for the Metropolitan pennant would be Metropolitan Business College although I am unsure how long it has been around. The Metropolitan baseball club was only around for a few years in the 1880s so I'm with the other guys in thinking it's probably not baseball.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator

It was an ebay pickup, sort of tucked away in the quilt section, and not listed under sports at all. I paid $600 for it.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Nice! You should do very well with that White Sox pennant. Congrats!

Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Thanks Dan.

Also, I just realized that the player is not felt, but rather a leather.