NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-20-2017, 12:45 PM
David Seid.eman

Default Help With Jackie Robinson Postcard

I recently paid pretty good money for this real photo postcard of Robinson at a NY show where an elderly dealer was selling old Brooklyn Dodgers memorabilia. I recognized the photo, of course, from his 1950 Bowman card. The photo was taken by Barney Stein, the Dodger's official photographer.

The postcard has a glossy surface, Robinson's facsimile signature, and a very sharp image from the original negative comparable to the same PSA Type 1 photo that Heritage sold in May, 2017. The difference is that this photo has been cropped in the exact same way as the '50 Bowman.

The blank back shows appropriate wear and vintage off-white patina.

I can find the fairly common postcard with Jackie in the dugout (also used in Old Gold), but no evidence of this card.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jackiepostcard.jpg (73.1 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg 1950bowman.jpg (77.6 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg postcardback.jpg (75.5 KB, 162 views)
Old 10-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Judging by the photo stock this paper seems to be 50's or 60's. I have seen a few floating around on eBay recently of other players like paige campy etc. my guess as a jackie guy would be a stadium souvenir or some type of giveaway. It's not a photo pack card for sure. Also it's not in the baseball card encyclopedia. Odd ball Jackie for sure with a value in my opinion of anywhere from $50-100 based on condition. Maybe less.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:54 PM
David Seid.eman

Default Thanks

Thanks, Stephen. Always great to hear from a fellow Jackie and Brooklyn collector, especially one so young! I appreciate you looking looking it up in the baseball card encyclopedia for me. Its absence there leads me to believe that the card was a prototype of some sort. The card stock and photo gloss are the same as the 1948 Old Gold and 1950-56 J.J.K. Copy-Art I have handled. And the image is definitely first generation from the negative like those cards. Plus the Dodgers, Barney Stein (Dodgers' photographer), and the Jackie were pretty tight with licensing. I can't find another.

I live in Brooklyn. Where in NY do live? Would love to see your collection some time. I write a sports card and memorabilia column for Forbes. I have one coming up on collecting Brooklyn Dodgers high-end and low-end.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:10 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyGrail View Post
Thanks, Stephen. Always great to hear from a fellow Jackie and Brooklyn collector, especially one so young! I appreciate you looking looking it up in the baseball card encyclopedia for me. Its absence there leads me to believe that the card was a prototype of some sort. The card stock and photo gloss are the same as the 1948 Old Gold and 1950-56 J.J.K. Copy-Art I have handled. And the image is definitely first generation from the negative like those cards. Plus the Dodgers, Barney Stein (Dodgers' photographer), and the Jackie were pretty tight with licensing. I can't find another.

I live in Brooklyn. Where in NY do live? Would love to see your collection some time. I write a sports card and memorabilia column for Forbes. I have one coming up on collecting Brooklyn Dodgers high-end and low-end.
I have read quite a few of those articles, (they get posted here occasionally), and I have always enjoyed them.
Thank you!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidse.../#31dafc0c132b
Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 PM
David Seid.eman

Default Thanks, Irv

That's very kind of you. I appreciate it. You made my day!

David
Old 10-20-2017, 05:30 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyGrail View Post
That's very kind of you. I appreciate it. You made my day!

David
My pleasure.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:36 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It isn't a postcard--no postcard markings on the back.

It is a mail response card for fans of JR who wrote into the team for a photo.

Got mine years ago:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-20-2017, 05:45 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It isn't a postcard--no postcard markings on the back.

It is a mail response card for fans of JR who wrote into the team for a photo.

Got mine years ago:

I know you are not saying otherwise, but it is still a great card/pic of Jackie Robinson.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:39 AM
David Seid.eman

Default Thanks

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. It was mailed by the team like the one with Old Gold photo. I'm not hung up on it being postcard. I guess postcard sized is a better way of describing it. I appreciate your help and posting yours.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:40 AM
David Seid.eman

Default Thanks

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. It was mailed by the team like the one with Old Gold photo. I'm not hung up on it being postcard. I guess postcard sized is a better way of describing it. I appreciate your help and you posting yours.