NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-26-2024, 08:26 AM
Hank Thomas

Default Younger fans a parallel to what we're seeing in younger collectors?

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-younger...&lctg=76862909
Old 04-26-2024, 08:29 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Won't sit well with the "baseball is a dying game" crowd. Nope.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:54 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I think they're going to have to get used to it!
Old 04-26-2024, 12:30 PM

MLB has done a great job with outreach to younger audiences over the years. Not all of it has been on TV, so it may get missed by some.

Highlights on social media are pumped heavily to people. There's a lot more advertising in local markets when stars are showing up for clinics/exhibitions/etc. The people roped into watching 30-90 second clips of impressive plays seem to be getting turned on to the game.

The parks themselves, especially minor league parks, have a -lot- of interactive youth exhibits. Kids being bored as hell at the ballpark for 3 hours have a lot more things to do to break up the time.

Baseball seems to have successfully currently branded itself as fun rather than boring.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:18 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

As mentioned prior, baseball has done an amazing job of becoming a family activity. The affordable fun of minor league stadiums and other sub leagues have made it a more approachable game to build family memories with as others become more prohibitive to attend.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:04 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Took my son to CitiField recently to see a Mets game. Just wasn't in the mood to drop a lot of money on tickets, and bought two tickets in the upper tier for $24 each. Where are you going to beat that? Under $50 for two people to get in the door. I could do that for 10 games and it would be less than one lousy concert seat at an arena to see a band.

QUOTE=JustinD;2429487]As mentioned prior, baseball has done an amazing job of becoming a family activity. The affordable fun of minor league stadiums and other sub leagues have made it a more approachable game to build family memories with as others become more prohibitive to attend.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-26-2024 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:17 PM
Fred

Ah crap, just when you think the price of card board was going to be going down...
Old 04-26-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Ah crap, just when you think the price of card board was going to be going down...
Totally anecdotal on my end, but a lot of what I've seen with kids (highschool and younger) around my area is it's a price-limiting hobby for busting packs and they tend to have parents with more disposable income.

It's not a bad thing, but it's skewed enough to notice that a lot of the kids opening new product aren't scraping up allowance money saved for weeks to pick up stuff.

$3 a pack on the low end and the "good stuff" costing much more is a hell of a barrier. New/hot stuff is insane. Shops are doing pre-sales on packs...on packs...$10+/pack for 2024 Bowman is common and the price probably won't drop when the product hits shelves.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:50 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
I'm not a member of that crowd, but getting our facts from MLB isn't the best place, they treated Ippei Mizuhara much like the Brady Bunch treated cousin Oliver.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 04-26-2024 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Bruce Mattioli

If you grow up with the love of Baseball it never will go away..
Old 04-26-2024, 05:07 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Speeding up the game and cutting out a lot of the bs time wasting has been huge. Such a better product.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:19 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Speeding up the game and cutting out a lot of the bs time wasting has been huge. Such a better product.
+1 Big time! A lot of the new rules I have no use for, but my gosh have they made this a better game to watch with the pitch clock. Takes me back to the two hour games of my youth. My Mom, a refined and mild-mannered lady, became a huge baseball fan in her latter years, and she would yell at the TV, "Throw the ball!" I've always said it's not the length of the games, it's the pace. Me and my buddies used to love Sunday doubleheaders in the bleachers (75 cents!) at Griffith Stadium, and I'll bet we were out no more than six hours including round trip on the bus and streetcar. And man, did we love extra-inning games, the longer the better.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:36 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Fixed it for you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
If you grow up with the love of Baseball it never will go away...unless you're a Mets fan!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:15 AM
Rich Klein

Couple of things

1) The pace of game is really important. The new Rangers ballpark has a roof and thus the temperature is moderated unlike the old days where you could be outside in 100 degree weather for hours

And let me tell you, if you sat at either previous ballpark in Arlington, you knew you were going to be in 3 plus hours in that heat. No fun. The pitch clock helps that and it's velocity not the pitch clock causing the pitching injury issues. ESPN just had an article which basically verified that assumption.

2) I'm lucky here in East Plano to be about 15-20 minutes from the Frisco Roughriders ballpark. Lot closer than Arlington, lot less expensive and I don't worry about staying till the end of any game. In fact, although we never could figure out the answer with their game day programs to have what I wanted for my birthday, I spent a good 45 minutes at the Dr. Pepper Field with one of the sales reps just chatting baseball. No way a major league team does that for you.

3) another thing baseball does need to figure out is to fix the Regional Sports Networks (RSN) or local cable issue. It's too difficult to figure out how to watch Rangers games since 2020 when Bally's was dropped by my cable company.

4) And the final thing baseball needs to do is to fix their blackout rules for MLB.TV. The blackout areas are too expansive. I know someone in Austin Texas who is blacked out from watching the Houston Astros (not sure about the Rangers in his case). The radius of the blackout should be smaller.

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 04-28-2024 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:13 AM
Scott Russell

they missed:

5. GAMBLING - from full season fantasy leagues to traditional sports betting to one day fantasy or prop betting and the fact that the even the casual viewing public is being beaten over the head with gambling advertising, more young people have, mistakenly, seen baseball as a path to riches with no labor.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-27-2024, 06:44 AM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
Totally anecdotal on my end, but a lot of what I've seen with kids (highschool and younger) around my area is it's a price-limiting hobby for busting packs and they tend to have parents with more disposable income.

It's not a bad thing, but it's skewed enough to notice that a lot of the kids opening new product aren't scraping up allowance money saved for weeks to pick up stuff.

$3 a pack on the low end and the "good stuff" costing much more is a hell of a barrier. New/hot stuff is insane. Shops are doing pre-sales on packs...on packs...$10+/pack for 2024 Bowman is common and the price probably won't drop when the product hits shelves.
I live in Japan and have two elementary school age kids. The main maker of baseball cards here sells them for about 75 cents a pack. Those packs come with a bag of potato chips and you can buy them almost anywhere - supermarkets, convenience stores, etc. No price gouging anywhere.

That easy accessability to kids makes a massive difference. We collect the set together each year and they are extremely into them. We buy them whenever we go shopping, and I can easily afford to bring them home from work for them whenever I feel like it. We have a paper checklist, keep our cards in a small shoebox, don’t care when cards get dinged corners, get excited when we pull cards of our favorite team, throw the cards of our least favorite team on the floor in disgust when we pull them and just have fun with it.

If we lived in the US none of that would be possible and my kids probably wouldn’t be interested in baseball cards at all. Expensive hobbies lose a lot of fun with every dollar that gets pumped into them. I love the simplicity of collecting over here….
Old 04-27-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
4) And the final thing baseball needs to do is to fix their blackout rules for MLB.TV. The blackout areas are too expansive. I know someone in Austin Texas who is blacked out from watching the Houston Astros (not sure about the Rangers in his case). The radius of the blackout should be smaller.
I live in an area where WAS + BAL are blackout areas. There are 0 over-the-air, cable, satellite, or streaming options to get WAS or BAL games in my area. Even if you wanted to throw money at the problem to see the games, nope.

The blackout rules are insanely strict. As weird as they can be in California, if you're in Guam then you're in SF/OAK blackout territory...because whatever.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:01 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
I live in an area where WAS + BAL are blackout areas. There are 0 over-the-air, cable, satellite, or streaming options to get WAS or BAL games in my area. Even if you wanted to throw money at the problem to see the games, nope.

The blackout rules are insanely strict. As weird as they can be in California, if you're in Guam then you're in SF/OAK blackout territory...because whatever.
I live 300 miles from Seattle. The Mariners are blacked on MLB.TV for me.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:04 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
they missed:

5. GAMBLING - from full season fantasy leagues to traditional sports betting to one day fantasy or prop betting and the fact that the even the casual viewing public is being beaten over the head with gambling advertising, more young people have, mistakenly, seen baseball as a path to riches with no labor.
+100% the corporate embracing of gambling on sports will ruin many lives. Well done Manfred.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-28-2024, 05:20 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Gambling seems like a societal issue. But sure blame Manfred for it. All the other major sports leagues have shunned it, right? NFL? NBA?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-28-2024 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:44 AM
Scott S

I coach Little League near Boston, and our league received cases of 2024 Topps this year (for the first time), directly from Topps. Every coach was given enough packs to distribute a pack to each player.

It was fun to watch the excitement among all of the kids as they opened the packs, shared cards with friends, etc.

I don't know how widespread this effort was by Topps to get cards directly into the hands of kids, but it was very well-received among the kids I saw that got them!
Old 04-28-2024, 07:27 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
I live in an area where WAS + BAL are blackout areas. There are 0 over-the-air, cable, satellite, or streaming options to get WAS or BAL games in my area. Even if you wanted to throw money at the problem to see the games, nope. The blackout rules are insanely strict. As weird as they can be in California, if you're in Guam then you're in SF/OAK blackout territory...because whatever.
Really? I had no problem getting Nats games on cable (Verizon's Fios) when I lived in Arlington, VA, and have no problem getting them (Xfinity) now that I'm 80 miles away in Winchester, VA. Are you telling me that the games are blacked out in the entire D.C. area now? How can they make any money on the TV rights, then? And that's not going to help get fans interested. I don't get it.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:20 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Well done Manfred.
Manfred works at the behest of his corporate masters, he as about as much power to make decisions to the overall workings of MLB as any of us do, he gets paid the big bucks to be the face of the blame.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:21 AM
Val Kehl

I live in Manassas, VA. and I have cable via Verizon's Fios. I get all of the Nationals and Orioles games on MASN.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Really? I had no problem getting Nats games on cable (Verizon's Fios) when I lived in Arlington, VA, and have no problem getting them (Xfinity) now that I'm 80 miles away in Winchester, VA. Are you telling me that the games are blacked out in the entire D.C. area now? How can they make any money on the TV rights, then? And that's not going to help get fans interested. I don't get it.
I'm in North Carolina. It's BAL/WAS region until you get to Charlotte, NC area in the south of the state (ATL).

The amount of BAL/WAS fans here are very few, so it doesn't upset too many.