NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Default W503....strip card or caramel card?

Posted By: leon

Just filled this hole in my W's. I really never collected them until I ran out of (most) of the other stuff I need. Aren't these a caramel issue? I know there are some neat poses. Anyone out there collect the set? regards

Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Macrae

Leon.... This is an example of an early categorization error. These cards were sold with caramel in a few parts of the country. Buck Barker had quite a few that he remembered getting in the St Louis area & John Spalding bought a sizeable group about 25 years ago from an original collector that lived here in the Bay Area his entire life. Over the last 30+ years, I've stumbled across samplings in original Bay Area collections, maybe 75 or so, which support John's story. I seem to recall John writing an article on these many years ago. I would think that the lack of advertising present on the card would lead the earlier collectors to place it among several 'annonymous issued' W cards. It's possible that it could have been a 'stock set', but as far as the Bay Area roots are concerned, it's an E-UNC.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Leon,

These are actually caramel cards. They were originally issued in some sort of caramel issue and were later miscatagorized by Burdick.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

Are this cards hand-cut from a sheet? I've wonder about this set, but never like "W" strip cards!?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Old 04-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

I have always liked these because they don't have the same old player poses, most are unique to the player. They aren't cheap or easy to find either. Nice pickups.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Old 04-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brianp-beme

I would like to contribute in a small way on what Mark M. mentioned about where these W503 cards have been 'discovered' in various finds over the years. About five years ago a seller on ebay was auctioning off, one by one, a collection of 100's of 1920's and 1930's Zeenuts that came from a relative of the original Bay Area collector who had taped them into an album. Besides the Zeenuts, the only other cards offered were, interestingly enough, about 25 Tattoo Orbit cards and about half the set of the W503's.

A great thing about original collections like this one is how they can help pinpoint the geographical distribution of such mysterious issues such as the W503's.

And by the way, no W503 I have ever seen appears to have been hand-cut. They all seem to have a very uniform size. And the pictures are so sharp...in that great batting shot of Heinie Groh card that Leon shared, if you look close you can clearly see the vein bulging from Heinie's neck.

Brian