NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-29-2019, 05:50 AM

Default NOT an E122

Would someone else be so kind as to write this gent and inform him that no matter what PSA says this card is an E121 NOT an E122?

He doesn't believe me and I think he would have a better chance of selling his tough E121 series of Eighty if he titles it correctly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-E122-A...8AAOSwxoJcRRl9

Thank you kindly

Dan Mckee
Old 04-29-2019, 06:24 AM
Steve L

I wrote to him about it quite awhile ago. Obviously, he did not take my advice.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:09 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Obviously he doesn't give a sh-t and is happy to take advantage of the situation.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default E121

I remember when I first started collecting vintage cards. I purchased what I thought was a blue background Sporting Life card. I sent it to PSA and they graded it as a blue background. I listed it on eBay as a blue background and I started receiving messages from people who were telling me that this was not a blue background card.

I had never heard of Net54 at the time, so my thinking was that these people were trying to get me to lower the price on my card. After all, PSA is a well respected grading company and they have graded millions of cards, so why should I believe these yahoos who were telling me that the card was incorrectly labeled? Now I know that PSA often has their head up their ass while they are grading cards and that the true experts are right here on Net54.

The thing that is strange about this situation is that the Standard Catalog lists the exact same price for the E122 Daubert as it does for the E121 Daubert, so it shouldn't be a money thing that is preventing him from changing his listing. His price does seem to be quite high for a PSA 2.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I remember when I first started collecting vintage cards. I purchased what I thought was a blue background Sporting Life card. I sent it to PSA and they graded it as a blue background. I listed it on eBay as a blue background and I started receiving messages from people who were telling me that this was not a blue background card.

I had never heard of Net54 at the time, so my thinking was that these people were trying to get me to lower the price on my card. After all, PSA is a well respected grading company and they have graded millions of cards, so why should I believe these yahoos who were telling me that the card was incorrectly labeled? Now I know that PSA often has their head up their ass while they are grading cards and that the true experts are right here on Net54.

The thing that is strange about this situation is that the Standard Catalog lists the exact same price for the E122 Daubert as it does for the E121 Daubert, so it shouldn't be a money thing that is preventing him from changing his listing. His price does seem to be quite high for a PSA 2.

Rick

I agree Rick, both are fairly tough and priced about the same. It is just a collector may be looking for that E121 series of Eighty they need and they will never see this one.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

We have more experience at vintage than PSA does. As we all know E122s are much scarcer than E121s. But scarcity alone doesn't equal value. It is all about the demand side of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post

Rick
Old 09-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Steve L

For sale again, hope the buyer sends it to PSA to repackage.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1922-E122-A...0AAOSw2gNdgpyX
Old 09-24-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
We have more experience at vintage than PSA does. As we all know E122s are much scarcer than E121s. But scarcity alone doesn't equal value. It is all about the demand side of the equation.
Why are these cards not valuable, yet? I realize demand is not there, but why the heck not. Tons of other pre war issues are less scarce and have more following. *I bought a grouping of these eons ago and just do not think that they will pan out any longer.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy8276 View Post
Why are these cards not valuable, yet? I realize demand is not there, but why the heck not. Tons of other pre war issues are less scarce and have more following. *I bought a grouping of these eons ago and just do not think that they will pan out any longer.
There is a premium paid for cards in sets residing at the scarcity "sweet spot." Enough supply to keep hundreds of set collectors motivated, but not so much to trivialize the pursuit. Also, many collectors simply don't like black-and-white issues. My kids won't watch black-and-white movies, so no surprise there.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
There is a premium paid for cards in sets residing at the scarcity "sweet spot." Enough supply to keep hundreds of set collectors motivated, but not so much to trivialize the pursuit. Also, many collectors simply don't like black-and-white issues. My kids won't watch black-and-white movies, so no surprise there.
+1 ....as a type card collector of some of the scarcer cards in the hobby I can absolutely state that scarcity doesn't equate to value as much as demand does. E122s just don't have the demand as there aren't tons of collectors going after the set such as there are for T205 and T206 etc...

Old 09-25-2019, 09:37 AM
Scott Russell

I remember getting a bunch of E126's at auction and being mad that the world didn't appreciate how rare (and fragile!) they are. Think I still have two left.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-25-2019, 10:05 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I remember getting a bunch of E126's at auction and being mad that the world didn't appreciate how rare (and fragile!) they are. Think I still have two left.
ya...as a former type collector this used to piss me off too!!!!! But of my ruth's...an e121 and a worse conditioned e122...I sold the e121!

I've always coveted rarity over mainstream.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
+1 ...E126s are on such thin stock that anything above a 3 is high grade (to me). My only current one...(or two LOL)....btw I still see TPG mistakes almost weekly concerning E121 vs E122

Last edited by Leon; 09-26-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:20 AM
Scott Russell

That ghost is similar to the Sam Rice E126 I sold Val Kehl. The highest I've ever had was a couple 4's I got at the aforementioned auction. I got them raw and was thrilled to get 4's!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 09-26-2019 at 10:22 AM.