NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Default Careful my friends Baltimore News Team card

Posted By: dan mckee

I don't like this, look at the back shot and you can see the front overlapping at the top. Also the photo quality is horrible. Dan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BABE-RUTH-ROOKIE-BASEBALL-BALTIMORE-TEAM-CARD_W0QQitemZ260336592697QQihZ016QQcategoryZ86841 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 12-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: lakers44

i looked at this today dan ,,what is it and what is the value ????

Old 12-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Here is where the only known real one sold:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/5.html

Old 12-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Funny how the seller knows a LOT about the card but only started the auction at $9.99. Also funny how it was only a one day auction and listed only a few days before Christmas.

That is enough time for people to see the card and bid on it but not enough time for people questioning its authenticity to report it and for eBay to take it down.

David

Old 12-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

99.99% chance that it is a fake

Old 12-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert Klevens

The stamp on the back appears to be on the same angle and font type as the REA example. The seller seems to be a consignment shop and starts everything at $9.99 and most of their other auctions are 1 day as well. Any chance it is real and the winner joe725 got real lucky?

Old 12-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Robert,

If you read the listing the seller seems to know a lot about this card. So, because of that, why would they start it at $9.99 and have it only go for one day? I mean, if they thought it had even a remote chance of being a $50,000 item (or even a $5,000 dollar item), why not spend the extra money on listing fees and have it as a front page item, have it in bold and have the listing be a 10 day one?

With the time of year it is, the weather the way it is and people traveling, why only have this as a one day auction?

It makes no sense.

No, my guess is they knew it was a fake and listed it during this time of year so that they could get some late year cash in but not have it up long enough for eBay to remove it.

Finally, if this had very much of a chance to be authentic don't you think some people on this board would have risked $400 dollars on it? I mean, this was in the proper category and had "Babe Ruth", "Rookie" and "Baltimore" all in the title. So it was not like this was something obscure hidden in the wrong category without much information given for it...

David

Old 12-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: lakers44

thank god i did not bid on this cards wheee..i was at the morristown antigue show in new jersey a few months ago and a dealer from maryland had one for 750 dollars ,,,wierd,,,the person that paid over 50 k for the real one paid way too much in my opinion ,,,see what he gets for it today in this economy ,,,thx guys for the info and saving me 650 dollars ,,,lakers 44

Old 12-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

The collector who bought the original is a close friend and he will never sell it.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

lakers44- thanks for joining our forum but please be careful about what you say and being able to stay anonymous. Unfortunately, there is a need to not let even mildly strong opinions be stated while staying anonymous. In other words if you say you do, or don't, like something then you will need to put your name and good email out here. Heck, I don't even know if you care about being anonymous....
Please be careful is all I am asking...You can email me privately, or post here, if you have any questions.....take care and thanks again for participating!!

Old 12-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Since the real one is the only 1 ever sold, and I don't care who bought it or who he is friends with or if he is keeping it or not, he got a DYNAMITE piece that no one can put a value on but the owner of it. He has my salute!!! and in any economy. Dan.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Leon-
Do you know why on occasion my name is in black letters and other times there is a link to my email address? It seems to be random. The first post by lakers44 links to his email and the second post is in black letters.

Thank you,
Robert

Old 12-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

It depends on whether you type in your email address in the "Your Email (optional)" box.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Thanks Paul, I didn't realize that.
Robert

Old 12-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Todd

I messaged the seller before the auction ended. It was about the same size as the one sold in REA and the seller told me the card came with a 30 day money back guarantee, which is the policy for every item they sell. The seller also told me the person who actually owned the card refused to get the card authenticated and that the stamp on the back appeared printed and not actually stamped. All this led me to believe the card is a fake. However, with the 30 day return that is plenty of time to find out for sure and return it. Really the buyer didn't take a huge risk, he'll just have to pay for grading fees and shipping. If the item is real he wins the lottery.

That said, there are some things I don't understand about the card. How did this person create it? There has only been 1 and it was unknown until it sold last year. Also, that card had the corners clipped out. Any photoshop guru's here? Is the foreground of the card artificially created? If not, it just might be the real thing.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I tried to compare the two - the REA one and the Ebay one and the one that was on ebay does not have very good resolution, but to me it looks as if the corners could have been "rebuilt" through photoshop.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I agree. The eBay one looks like a copy of the REA with the corners rebuilt.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glyn Parson

In my opinion, though i generally hesitate to make one based on a scan, it is 100% fake. The card has the exact same appearance as many of the fake goudey and bread cards that are coming off craig's list. To me it looks very little like the REA item in photo quality as well as color, registration, and even the stock looks different. I wouldnt have bought it for $20 even with a full money back gaurantee, you will still be out the grading and shipping money and like I said In my opinion 100% fake.

edited to add: FWIW item has now been removed from searches.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

As far as authenticity goes, in my opinion, all you really need to do is ask yourself two questions; if the seller knew SOOOOOOOO much about the card and had it listed in the proper category then why was it only a one day auction and more importantly, WHY DID THE OWNER REFUSE TO GET IT GRADED?

With the possibility that you own a $50,000 dollar card, why do you not get it authenticated and why do you allow somebody else to sell it for you? Why have it be a one day auction and why start it at $9.99?

No, this scam sounds like something Market King Man would do. As in, he reproduces a card using old paper and film and then tries to pass his "art" off as real and uses somebody else (knowingly or unknowingly) as a front for the scam.

Just my two cents,

David

Edited to add one last question.

If there was REALLY a chance this was original, WHY didn't Barry Sloate or, more importantly, his friend who owns a REAL oen take the chance and win this auction? If a guy is willing to spend $50,000 on one then why not $400 on another?

This would seem like a heck of a way to dollar cost average your purchsases and give yourself a much better shot at turning a profit if and when you decided to sell one or both of them.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Only an idiot will be wasting grading fees on this item. I believe that all of us would know immediately after having it in our own hands that it is a fake. Why send it to a grading service that for that?? You lose shipping to and from the seller, that is it but it will be lost, as this item is fake 100% as stated above.

<spanwww.danmckee.com/pictures/types001.jpg>

Old 12-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

You can tell it's a fake on a glance.