NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2019, 08:00 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default PSA president just blew my mind

Finally responded to the inquiry as to why PSA will not label different size Dixie lids, the 2 contest dates on Red man, the black and red letters journal americans, the 180 and 200 reverse saladas different color armour coins etc etc etc
To me this response is "insane"
It has been PSA's long standing policy not to label variations that have no significant difference in value"

Any collector knows there is significant difference in values and furthermore that would be determined by the pop and the collectors
The set registry is the bread and butter of PSA and yet they dont want master sets of these issues
Furthermore they already label 100s of variations that have no different value

As for the 2nd issue grading uncatalogued cards from sets that have incomplete checklists he has no answer
So if there are 10 wilson meats listed and you have 15 different..they'll grade the 10 but not the other 5

BIZZARO WORLD

MAYBE IF HE RECEIVES A 1000 EMAILS FROM COLLECTORS HE'LL CHANGE HIS MIND
SSLOAN@collectors.com

Last edited by sflayank; 04-20-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Maybe he isn't a collector?
Old 04-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Glyn Parson

Default I know Steve

Steve is a nice thoughtful guy and I do think he would be willing to alter this position if he gets enough feedback. I agree they surely want more submissions and more registry traffic and I think this would help in those areas. NExt time I see him I will be sure to let him know that I agree with everything you said about the variations. I also feel they could label more uncatalogued stuff than they do but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:27 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Psa

That would be helpful on variations
Uncatalogued stuff is one thing but incomplete checklists is another
Since there will no longer be bible updates
Basically hes saying if there are 20 cards in a set but only 15 are listed the other 5 dont count..since Bob lemkes passing theres no way to update since they have noone working there with the knowledge
Old 04-20-2019, 09:14 AM
Cory

I’ve asked why they won’t breakdown t205 back on labels. They there is no difference in value. Which is inaccurate as well. It can be their honest answer but was their answer.

Cory Weiser
Old 04-20-2019, 09:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJoss View Post
I’ve asked why they won’t breakdown t205 back on labels. They there is no difference in value. Which is inaccurate as well. It can be their honest answer but was their answer.

Cory Weiser
If anyone at PSA said that, or anywhere for that matter, then it proves they don't collect the series. Piedmont, Hindu, Drum all the same value? Ignorance is bliss.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:50 PM
P.aul Orl,in

at least they grade them. they haven't been grading the M101 sporting news premiums, which i think is a big factor in the low interest in them (see the prices in the Heritage auction...ridiculously cheap for their beauty and rarity and the details on the back of the players, a true rarity before the Goudeys 30+ years later). i know, they are large sized and rare, so i get that it's a low priority....anyway...
Old 04-21-2019, 06:19 PM
Albert Bee

Default blew mind

The DelFonics - Didn't I blow your mind this time...

pretty good song
Old 04-21-2019, 06:51 PM
Robert Williams

Didn't they grade a Nolan Ryan newspaper clipping one time?
Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Larry, I don't think what PSA's president told you was quite what has been PSA's long standing policy. I've also tried to get a lot of uncatalogued cards graded, and what customer support at PSA has always told me is that if the card is not is not some standard catalog (e.g, Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards), then PSA will not grade it. So the process has always been, first get your card catalogued (which won't be easy anymore since the Standard Catalog is going out of business), then come back to PSA to show that the card is now catalogued, and then they will grade it. This has worked for me before for some W590 cards that I was trying to grade.

Regarding variations, I would think that first the variation has to be known in some catalog like the above, and then you would need to prove the difference in value among the variations like PSA has said. Even then, they may decide not to grade it. It's up to them. This is why I use all three TPG's PSA, SGC and Beckett. The cards that PSA doesn't grade, I sent to SGC (e.g., Real Photo Postcards). The cards that PSA and SGC don't grade, then I send to Beckett (e.g., notepads).

BTW, regarding newspaper clippings, I think all 3 TPG's grade these (e.g., 1927 Rinkeydink stamps)

Last edited by glchen; 04-21-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:32 PM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default Psa

You're right
I know it's not their long standing policy
He made that up on the fly
They grade and label dozens of variations that have no extra value and they grade many items not in the bible
Old 04-21-2019, 10:10 PM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflayank View Post
You're right
I know it's not their long standing policy
He made that up on the fly
They grade and label dozens of variations that have no extra value and they grade many items not in the bible
Compacentcy is the road to ruin. To me, PSA is satisfied with their current business and dies not see itself as an innovator or educator in the hobby.

The true work by the Dr. Beckett's and Lemkes and others is what led to discovery and expanding the knowledge.

I was part of a museum archive that proposed sharing its data base , which PSA rejected. A large part of a collection community subsequently rejected PSA.

It's one of the reasons they aren't welcome in Europe and Asia.
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts
xplainer
Bobbyw8469
Old 04-22-2019, 10:01 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Larry, I don't think what PSA's president told you was quite what has been PSA's long standing policy. I've also tried to get a lot of uncatalogued cards graded, and what customer support at PSA has always told me is that if the card is not is not some standard catalog (e.g, Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards), then PSA will not grade it. So the process has always been, first get your card catalogued (which won't be easy anymore since the Standard Catalog is going out of business),
Are we sure the Standard Catalog is going out of business? There is a huge difference between Chapter 11 bankruptcy and not staying in business. If F&W is able to re-org in bankruptcy court, then we may see new versions thereof. In other words, has this been announced publicly yet?

Regards
Rich
Old 04-22-2019, 10:06 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
The DelFonics - Didn't I blow your mind this time...

pretty good song
One of the first major Gamble/Huff, etc hits. A wonderful time in R&B music

Another Philly hit from about the same time and EVEN on theme for this board

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm-KijvGT0M
Old 04-22-2019, 10:32 AM
Albert Bee

Default blow mind

Oh..I thought out of Chicago way ??
Old 04-22-2019, 01:11 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Are we sure the Standard Catalog is going out of business? There is a huge difference between Chapter 11 bankruptcy and not staying in business. If F&W is able to re-org in bankruptcy court, then we may see new versions thereof. In other words, has this been announced publicly yet?

Regards
Rich
And bankruptcy often involves selling your company, or the working parts, to others.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:24 PM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
Oh..I thought out of Chicago way ??
On rare occasions, I get one correct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Delfonics

I bet you are thinking of either the Mighty Dells or the Impressions

Rich
Old 04-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Steve is a nice thoughtful guy and I do think he would be willing to alter this position if he gets enough feedback. I agree they surely want more submissions and more registry traffic and I think this would help in those areas. Next time I see him I will be sure to let him know that I agree with everything you said about the variations. I also feel they could label more uncatalogued stuff than they do but I wouldn’t hold my breath on that.
The people who get paid for their opinions do not care about subtle details like cards that are different from other cards, they care only about making money. So, with that in mind, they might care about adding variations and updating out of date catalogs if they thought they could make money doing it.

If they cared about the hobby itself, they would have taken over the Standard Catalog, or started one of their own that was valid, instead of ignoring the obvious issues with their stands on variations and uncatalogued issues.

But I could be completely wrong, they might actually care, and I might actually be the Easter Bunny.

Doug
Old 04-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Howard Chasser

Default PSA makes the rules!

How do they arbitrarily define what a "catalog" is? In todays electronic world the trading card database is as much a "catalog" as any other although it does not list values - which shouldn't matter as PSA has their SMR! The inconsistency has been rampant in numerous ways. Yet, they continue to be the 800lb gorilla largely due to the registry and large barriers to entry. I too have tried to have a number of items added only to face the same frustration that has been shared in this thread.

As an aside, I like Beckett's grading model the best with the 4 subgrades and then the averaged final grade - it allows collectors to prioritize elements of condition subjectively important to them.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
One of the first major Gamble/Huff, etc hits. A wonderful time in R&B music.
You probably mean era and genre, but all of the Delfonics hit songs were produced and co-written by Thom Bell.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:58 PM
Rich Klein

Yeah I do, thanks for the correction. Thom Bell is as much of the Philly sound as Gamble/Huff.

Rich
Old 04-22-2019, 07:10 PM
Albert Bee

Default blow mind

OK, Im thinking of the Chi-Lites...they were out of CHI
Old 04-22-2019, 07:49 PM
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If anyone at PSA said that, or anywhere for that matter, then it proves they don't collect the series. Piedmont, Hindu, Drum all the same value? Ignorance is bliss.
Leon, I made a valiant effort with no success. It’s not accurate, but see no other reason they won’t label T205s like T206s with the backs, and that is the bologna reason they gave me multiple times.

Cory Weiser
Old 04-22-2019, 09:08 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
As an aside, I like Beckett's grading model the best with the 4 subgrades and then the averaged final grade
This is not true. The final grades are not averaged, except at the very top. A Gem Mint otherwise card with a pinhole would not get a NM 7, it would get a 1-2 from Beckett. Their grade cannot be any more than 2 grades higher than the lowest subgrade, and then for only specific subgrades. Max grade is 1 higher for other subgrades.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:32 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
This is not true. The final grades are not averaged, except at the very top. A Gem Mint otherwise card with a pinhole would not get a NM 7, it would get a 1-2 from Beckett. Their grade cannot be any more than 2 grades higher than the lowest subgrade, and then for only specific subgrades. Max grade is 1 higher for other subgrades.
Thank you for the clarification
Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJoss View Post
Leon, I made a valiant effort with no success. It’s not accurate, but see no other reason they won’t label T205s like T206s with the backs, and that is the bologna reason they gave me multiple times.

Cory Weiser
Bobby fought the same battle for me on T203 backs a year ago. PSA would not recognize the Winner Back on the label and instead listed the cards as Mayo’s. There is a clear difference in value but so be it. Should I ever choose to sell a scan of the back clearly shows the brand. But it would be nice if the pop reports reflected the scarcity of the backs.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
Bobby fought the same battle for me on T203 backs a year ago. PSA would not recognize the Winner Back on the label and instead listed the cards as Mayo’s. There is a clear difference in value but so be it. Should I ever choose to sell a scan of the back clearly shows the brand. But it would be nice if the pop reports reflected the scarcity of the backs.
PSA flat out doesn't care. For cards they mislabel (I've done it numerous times on Milton Bradley's mislabeled as Topps), I state what they REALLY are. True collectors will bid on the card and not the label. At least that is what I tell myself.