NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Default Thank You for adding to our experience at The National!

I just wanted to thank Leon for organizing and putting on the Net 54 Dinner at the Hyatt last night! Jeff and I had a great time walking the floor all day wheeling and dealing, and conversing with dealers and fellow collectors, and then it was topped off by a great dinner and experience with fellow Net 54ers all evening! It was our first time attending a Net 54 dinner and we hope to make it a permanent fixture on our National trip each year from now on.
Thanks to Heritage for sponsoring the event and the Hyatt staff for the great food and drinks!

I also enjoyed the three speakers who all had interesting points and stories during their presentations. Sorry, but I am terrible with names and can't recall the speaker's names, but a couple of them had to speak on short notice and I thought they did a great job. I hope that the gentlemen who weren't able to speak because of illnesses get well. I really enjoyed the food, yes I said that before, and getting to put names with faces of folks that I have done business with or chatted with over the years on the board. It was really neat to connect and talk with many collectors of all different backgrounds and budgets about the various things that are our collecting passions! Anything from cards, T206s, E98s, Cracker Jacks, etc. to memoribilia, to even Hockey Cards was being discussed in our little groups. To those who really made my experience enjoyable last night thank you again...you know who you are I really appreciate the community of people on our board.

Tim Kindler
Old 08-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Daryl

I too enjoyed my first Net54 dinner. Thanks Leon, Heritage, et al for making this possible! I thought the speakers were informative and entertaining, and that the food was delicious.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:19 AM

Agreed! Great night and great fun. Good oportunity to meet a few people, swap a few stories, and eat some good fun.

Thanks to Leon for arranging this!

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 08-07-2011, 10:42 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

I wish I could've been there...Hopefully next year if all goes well financially. Worst case, I'll be there for sure for '14 in Cleveland(too bad they pushed Cleveland back). Hell, I can't miss that one, it's only a half hour drive..
Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Tremendous fun; definitely a must-do if you are at the show, though it is the ultimate sausage-fest. And what's with the postal inspector/Fed at every dinner--is he a member?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Tremendous fun; definitely a must-do if you are at the show, though it is the ultimate sausage-fest. And what's with the postal inspector/Fed at every dinner--is he a member?
You're welcome guys. I thought the food was pretty good...but then again I like that kind of food . As for the FBI guy being there (I don't think there was a Postal Inspector there like last year), I am friendly with him and invited him. He has an interest in collectibles as well as helps our hobby. What more can I say? I like him. I wish more of them were in the hobby, for personal pleasure, as well as officially. regards

ps...I took a 4 1/2 day sabbatical from the internet too. it was great. If I didn't respond to you in that time, that is why.

Last edited by Leon; 08-07-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:03 PM

Once again, thanks for the great Net 54 Dinner Leon. Not only was it a chance to renew friendships and meet new 54ers but it gives you a chance to learn and gain more knowledge about our hobby and the cards. I want to personally thank Mark Macrae who graciously spoke with me for an hour about Zeenuts in general and the 1911 set and the variations, etc. Fellow collectors giving of their time to enlighten others is the best part of the 54 experience. I have always tried to give back, for instance about the T213 set which I know something about having been in the Southern Find in the 80's and always felt it was important to pass on knowledge acquired through the hobby. Every time I talk to some of the Net 54 guys, I learn something. Meeting Jeremy Jones in person for the first time and discussing T210s while drinking a beer before the Cubs game or talking to Ed Hans and Gary Nucherino over pizza discussing things I didn't know about certain bakery and caramel card sets or listening to Mike Peich, Tim Newcomb and Zack Rice discussing the T209 set they are doing an article on, or talking to Bill Cornell about early hobby collectors, the list goes on and on.
Thanks again Leon and thanks to my fellow collectors for sharing and being such great guys.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

I want to thank Leon, Chris Ivy and staff at Heritage Auctions for putting together the Net54 dinner.

I really enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new ones. The food was great. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to enjoy the drinks this year because I was on medication for a back injury . But I did enjoy the diet cokes.

I am counting down the days to the Baltimore National.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 08-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Hey Bob

Hey Bob
I totally agree about rekindling friendships. This might have been my best National yet, of around 10-12 (I think) which I have attended, because of that. That being said it wasn't quite as good for adding to my collection. In that respect the year-round auctions seem to have more items I need or want. What a fantastic time I had though. The Dinners (Net54 and the Pizza) were probably my favorite parts. Spending more time with all of my other good hobby friends was great too as well as meeting some new Net54'ers. regards

ps...you are welcome Howard....it was nice seeing you again too....(Hey, I could be saying this to about 175 more guys/girls from the Dinner )

Last edited by Leon; 08-07-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:25 AM

Many thanks from me too!

I was very happy to attend and really enjoyed chatting with those I got to meet. Sadly there are many others I still have not met...there are a lot of folks at these things. But that will be something to look forward to for a future event!

Cheers,
Blair
Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 AM
Scott

If things turn around for me financially, and depending on the dates, I would love to return to a national as well. Sounds like a great dinner/experience to add to the unique experience of a National itself.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Chris Wassmuth

I, too, would like to thank Leon for organizing the dinner. It was my first and even though I don't post a lot on here (I learn much more than I can contribute) it was nice to put faces with usernames. I'm already looking forward to Baltimore and hopefully meeting a few more of you guys.

Chris
Old 08-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Lou

Thanks to Leon and everyone who makes these dinners possible! thanks to Tim,Jeff and Mac for the info and the laughs had at our table,and to all the others I spoke with but can't remember all the names .Had a great time! Lou
Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

It was mine and my girlfriend Bethanys' first National and what a wonderful experience we had! Let me start by saying thank you to Leon Luckey for putting the dinner together and thanks to Heritage Auctions for sponsoring the whole thing. At the convention it was great talking to both Leon and Scott Brockelman at their booth. It's hard for me to believe that there are two nicer guys running any auction house in this hobby today.
At the dinner, we couldn't of had any better tablemates than Sal, Jay, Mark and Ted Z. Great guys and I could have sat there and listened to all their knowledge about vintage baseball cards until the next National started in Baltimore!
Looking forward to seeing you all again in 2012!

Charles Malm
Old 08-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Thank You for adding to our experience at The National!

Just back from a nine hour drive home from Chicago. A great show both economically and socially. Good crowds all five days. Yes, some overpriced merchandise (probably including some at our table), but some good deals to be had. I won't try to name all the Net54ers I met because I'm certain I'd forget a few. Enjoyed the Net54 dinner as well as the informal repasts with Jim B., TBob, Leon, Richard, and David. I think I had the distinction of selling Leon the only card he bought for his collection. And the best part of the show was that Mike Peich actually remembered my name this year!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:40 PM

Default The Monster Is In The Oven!!

Had much fun (and drink). Sat at a table with veteran lurker yankypride, the world famous baseball artist and Net54 columnist (On The Easel With...) Gregg Kressler and a photo enthusiast Ben something.

Nice to meet the Bucklers (the girl is a trouble maker), BuyThatCard, Sheryl the bartender, OldCardBoard and others (too many to name and the band is playing me off the stage) and a special thanks to Leon for remembering me (Hi, I'm Steve!) and the speakers were engaging and the food was top notch.

Hope we can do it all again in 2012!

DanC
Old 08-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Hey Dan C, were you the guy with the yellow business card? That was a good table at the dinner. We had a nice variety of personalities among us.

I enjoyed the conversation even though I didn't drink that night.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 08-08-2011, 10:37 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
And the best part of the show was that Mike Peich actually remembered my name this year!
Ed - If it makes you feel any better, Mike keeps calling me "Robert Silverman"

One of the annual treats when sitting in Scott B's and Richard M's booth is the slew of people who come up and ask "which one of you is Leon?". No one ever believes me when I raise my hand, but it never gets old.

Great National, as always. Next year will be 10 straight for me.

Bill

Last edited by bcornell; 08-08-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:16 AM

I had a blast this year too.
JimB
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Thank You for adding to our experience at The National!

Quote:
Ed - If it makes you feel any better, Mike keeps calling me "Robert Silverman"
I can't imagine how he'd make that mistake. You've got way more hair than Silverman.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Ted Zanidakis

I attended my first National in 1982 (St Louis), then I did the 1984 (Parsippany, NJ) Nat. Since then I have attended (or set-up) at 6 Nat's.
Last year's at Baltimore, and this year's were my favorites. Especially with respect to all the great guys (and gals) that I met and had some
tremendous conversations with.

And Bill ...... never, ever would I mistake you for Leon

Regards to all,

TED Z
Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default W519-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhans View Post
I think I had the distinction of selling Leon the only card he bought for his collection.
Yeap, Ed. It seems like it was almost the first of hour of the first day at the show when I saw this gem in your case. It felt like I was going to have a really successful Personal Collection national. Then, nadda the rest of the time. Nothing I needed or that jumped out at me. However, I am thankful for this W519-1 .....And thanks again for allowing me squatters rights at your and Gary's table the last day. Everyone from Net54baseball is so helpful and friendly it just makes the whole experience so much better. best regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pw529dash1morton.jpg (77.4 KB, 98 views)