NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Default Legendary Auctions

in case anyone missed this...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...=112699&page=4
Old 06-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Banned

I noticed this just this morning on Legendary's Web site. Don't know exactly when or why the company announced that the marquee items from its current auction had been pulled. Anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg legend.jpg (59.8 KB, 479 views)

Last edited by Rob D.; 06-25-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:10 AM
T0NY @

Maybe they owed the consignor monies from a previous auction and haven't paid them yet , or maybe they've heard what Legendary has done to other good people in the hobby like Gary and before they get bamboozled as others have now been, maybe they got smart and simply pulled their items.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Rich Klein

Default Maybe because I'm on AOL

but I swear the legendary site is the "worst" hobby auction site out there. I was curious to see what a couple of items sold for last nite and could not figure out a way to get to the completed items of last nite.

And everytime; I try to type in my USER ID and Password; it just returns me to that page -- although the uder ID and password is exactly what I have from the legendary auctions email.

Call me Frustrated in Plano

Rich
Old 06-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

agreed Rich, the new website is awful in comparison to the old one.

As for their current auction in terms of material, call me Bored in Plano.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Tom Boblitt

Haven't had any userid and password problems but I have to say the new site is somewhat frustrating--especially given that the Mastronet site was pretty well-developed and ran pretty smoothly. Don't understand why Legendary didn't buy those assets as well.......and the whole hiding of the recently closed auction lots is also a little frustrating and would hopefully be something that would be remedied pretty quickly. There's no real reason to do that and it frustrates the users.

That said, I had fine experiences with them the last auction on lots I'd bought and hope that they can finally get some of these consignor issues behind them soon. The people involved on both sides are good people and it'd be nice to see them still in business long-term. JMO.....
Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Al

And let us all hope that they have learned their lesson this time about shipping costs Doug I hope you are listening
Old 06-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default one other thing

I have commented a few times on the memorabilia side but I should mention I do consider Doug and Mark, of Legendary Auctions, as hobby friends. I hope they get their operations straight and the older Mastro consignors get paid. That is indeed a very poor situation.... Their new website needs to be fixed too.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:59 AM

Is Doug coming to the Net54 dinner ?
Old 06-25-2009, 09:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Is Doug coming to the Net54 dinner ?
I am not sure....but since you asked you are welcome to come, Dutch.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Brian

Complaining about shipping costs or the website amazes me -- they owe collectors on this board thousands of dollars!!!

The fact that someone here would worry about the cost of shipping is astounding. I will NEVER bid in another legendary auction. They continue to do business and make claims while not paying their consignors.

Its sick. Its wrong.

If they steal from consignors, who cares what they charge for shipping?

Anyone doing business with them after knowing this is going to get what they deserve...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:34 AM

Default http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=113543

Thanks to those of you who support my position. In the long run that is more
important than the money or removing legendarys banner ad until all the
consignors are paid.
In their current auction they advertise you can consign with"peace of Mind"
They also say that they have ethical standards 2nd to none! I can just see the
three of them around a conference table with tears of laughter streaming down their faces when someone came up with those phrases.
When they bought Mastro's assets they made sure they could take credit for
everything positive about mastro, but when it came down to the debt they made sure their lawyers were able to absolve them from that liability. I hope this
aspect of the deal is part of the FBI investigation. Bernie Madoff should have
hired legendarys lawyers.
A long time ago Doug Allen posted about how mastro "lays down corners"
and removes wrinkles before sending these cards to be graded. Doug got blasted for that(deservedly so). I could just see Bill Mastro saying You said
WHAT on net 54.(If anyone can find that thread and post it here that would
be great)
The point here is simple. Net 54 has done a great job of exposing bad actors in this hobby. Legendery auctions ethics warrant there removal
from advertising on net 54. What possible defense could they have for there
actions
Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Look, there really is not other way to put it: Legendary/Mastro is a disgrace to the hobby and should not be in business any longer. As for big name consignors like Bob Gibson -- I have no doubt he'll be paid on time. It's the little consignors, the ones who can't make the same noise a Bob Gibson can make, they are the ones that seem to be getting screwed now. What a surprise....
Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Matt Wieder

It stinks that these things happen in our hobby and it's even worse when it happens to one of the great guys in the hobby - sorry Garry.
While certainly a difference of several degrees, we need to remove the Legendary banner at the end of this month (I assume they have a monthly agreement) before this becomes like a SCD/Coaches Corner situation. I'm not saying it's as bad as that, but allowing a seemingly fraudulent company to continue to advertise on our venue is no good.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Brian

Old 06-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Banned

You know that public opinion -- in this case the "public" being this board -- of Mastro/Legendary isn't good when it's noon the day after the first half of one of M/L's auctions and no one has started a "Show your winnings" thread.

Of course, were anyone to post in such a thread today, he might find himself fending off an ugly mob.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Al

Brian,
There is a word for you and it starts with Jack---. Who are you to worry about what I think about shipping costs or anything else for that matter. Yes people were burned with Mastro no doubt but as a buyer I have never had a problem with getting the items I have bid on. (from any auction house) I complain about shipping costs because they are way out of line. Thats it. I feel for the people who lost in their auctions maybe Caveat Emptor should have applied to all auction houses also,just like it does here on Net54. Hire a lawyer and take them to court if you need to get your money or consignments back, thats what they are there for. If you knew half of what goes on at other auction houses you would never bid with most of them either. I have consigned some major items (not with Mastro or Legendary) but I went with someone who I knew and trust. I sorry these gentlemen have decided to take the course of action that they have because it just shows still what they are all about. Read into that last statement anyway you wish.
None of us have any control over what they do and how they do it. I made a SIMPLE statement about shipping . Thats it. Worry about what you need to worry about and I will do the same.
BTW if you take 1000 lots and make lets say an extra $10 per lot thats $10,000 extra dollars. But I guess thats just a small number to a man like you.

Last edited by batsballsbases; 06-25-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
I noticed this just this morning on Legendary's Web site. Don't know exactly when or why the company announced that the marquee items from its current auction had been pulled. Anyone?
If I was cynical I'd think it might have to do with the lack of interest the plaques were receiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
You know that public opinion -- in this case the "public" being this board -- of Mastro/Legendary isn't good when it's noon the day after the first half of one of M/L's auctions and no one has started a "Show your winnings" thread.
Yes - they were very considerate not to put us in a position of having to make a decision between going after an item we wanted or sticking to the moral high ground.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:43 AM

Default gnuche

I know Gary and he has been both an incredibly nice guy and also a very fair dealer and if he is having problems with Mastro/Legendary, I will no longer participate in their auctions.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 AM

Default Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I know Gary and he has been both an incredibly nice guy and also a very fair dealer and if he is having problems with Mastro/Legendary, I will no longer participate in their auctions.
Bob,

I will jump on the bus and agree with you about Gary and your stance. I will not participate in the auctions as well.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Craig Wright

Final bids for items that closed last nite:

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Auc...SessionsOnly=1
Old 06-25-2009, 11:00 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

I'm just a bottom feeder but count me in as one of those who will not bid in the Mastro/Legendary auctions.....and I don't even know Gary... Is your last name Coleman???

Lovely Day
Old 06-25-2009, 11:17 AM

Hello Iggyman, thanks for the support. My last name is Nuchereno and I have
been collecting vintage baseball cards since 1970. I will be at table #247 and 346 at this years national. Stop by if you get a chance
Leon, There is a huge difference between being removed from net 54 for unethical behavior and just letting there advertising contract run out. Legendary will put a spin like they wanted to spend their advertising dollars elsewhere, maybe they will say that the net 54 membership was too small for them to justify the expenditure. I doubt that I will ever see the money I am owed, so give me my pound of flesh and do the right thing. Kick them off, don't let them off the hook. They don't deserve the courtesy of a graceful exit.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 AM
David

Default LEGENDARY scammers ?

I am not well known here nor am I an active participant. However I have heard ruminations in the past about this place being clicky. why are they being treated differently than any other scam artist out there. These guys are scammers period. I don't care if they "bought" the assets of Mastro and are now Legendary, its largely the same bunch of guys. Hey, if these guys claim to be so ethical then they should have shown it and walked away from this garbage outfit and started over FROM SCRATCH. Instead they got an "inside" deal to buy the assets of their former company under a new name.

Do the right thing and show that this place is not a click of buddies who will protect each other and ban their asses and cancel their banner advertisements because its the right thing to do, friends or not. they don't belong advertising here, they are scammers arent' they?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddbreadman View Post
I am not well known here nor am I an active participant. However I have heard ruminations in the past about this place being clicky. why are they being treated differently than any other scam artist out there.
Yep. Nobody in this "clicky" chatroom has ever said anything bad about Mastro/Legendary.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
However I have heard ruminations in the past about this place being clicky. Do the right thing and show that this place is not a click of buddies who will protect each other...
David, you really are wrong here. As Dan pointed out, Mastro/Legendary gets the shit kicked out of it on this board probably as much if not more than anything else in the hobby this side of Scott Elkins' roosters.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Steve Murray

I've already posted this to the Memorabilia side but for this thread (Thanks Jeff) it deserves repeating:

I will not consign to nor will I bid at any Legendary auctions.

And BTW anyone who may think that the members and lurkers on this board do not make up a significant percentage of the collecting universe are sorely mistaken. Nothing personal, just an observation.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:15 PM

Gary,
Make sure you come to Leon's Net54 dinner that Thurs night ? It will be an interesting evening I'm sure.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:23 PM
David

I think one of the places I read the word "clicky" in reference to here is on a board by the gentleman you mentioned Calvin. After doing more research, my bad.

Still, my main point was that Legendary should not be welcome here until they pay people they owe money to.

Last edited by daviddbreadman; 06-25-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:24 PM

The net 54 dinner is always one of the highlights of the whole week. I
wouldn't miss it. Thanks again for all the support. Instead of a " show your
legendery auction winnings maybe we should have a show your"legedary
consignors check thread" Show em if you get em!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
I think one of the places I read the word "clicky" in reference to here is on a board by the gentleman you mentioned Calvin. After doing more research, my bad.

Still, my main point was that Legendary should not be welcome here until they pay people they owe money to.
The gentleman's board you mention is nothing but an attack site for a fellow who was rightfully banned from this board....anything said on his board should be taken with a grain of salt. A quick look through the archives will show you that Mastro has taken a beating (and in most cases rightfully so) here.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agreed

I have given it more thought and just emailed Brian M to remove the Legendary banner until all consignors are paid from Mastro....regards
Old 06-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Steve Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have given it more thought and just emailed Brian M to remove the Legendary banner until all consignors are paid from Mastro....regards
Bravo Leon!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Jimmy

Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 PM

You did the right thing Leon. Not that the guys at Legendary don't realize the seriousness of what is happening, but your actions may help.
Take care,
JimB
Old 06-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Brian

Thanks Leon
Old 06-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Thank You Leon,
You helped send an important message that Doug/Mark and Ron can't act as though the people they shafted don't matter and that they can't conduct "business as usual". They hitched there wagon to Bill Mastro, who was once,
arguably,the most powerful individual in this hobby. When that ship sank they
should have done the honorable thing and made sure all the consignors got
information on an individual basis along with honest expectations on when they will get paid. Instead, these "Captains" of the hobby jumped ship to save themselves. No mistaking these guys for samurai. I will reserve judgment on
Bill Mastro until all the facts are made public, but at least he hasn't opened
a new auction house proclaiming "consign with peace of mind" and"integrity
2nd to none"
Thanks again for the pound of flesh, as I am pretty sure I will never
see the 5400.00 they owe. Actually, I think they should skip the 10%
commission they charged me and pay the whole 6k. Leon, my respect for
you continues to grow. Nuch
Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Max Weder

Thank you Leon.

Max
Old 06-25-2009, 02:49 PM
John Spano

Nice move. Hopefully this will help Gary and others get their money.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

What about restitution for the rest of us who have been defrauded by Legenda--woops--Mastro?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:53 PM

Leon,

I applaud your decision,

Andrew
Old 06-25-2009, 04:07 PM

I was contacted by Doug Allen about 5:30 this evening and Doug Allen has told me that he will pay me the money (5400.00) that is owed me next week. He also told me that he did not read any of my posts but that a customer of his told him what was going on, and he wanted to get this straightened out. I asked him about others who are in the same situation and he told me to give
them his phone number and he will do what he can to get everyone paid off.
If you have not gotten paid for your consigned item auctioned in the last mastro auction Feb 2009 get in touch with Leon and he can give you Doug's phone number.I retract nothing that I posted and I do not think I would be getting my money if it were not for net 54, all the members who supported my position and Leon. When everyone is paid I think legendary's banner could go
back up, and each individual can deal with it as they please. When the check clears I will let everyone know. Thanks again Nuch
Old 06-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuche View Post
He also told me that he did not read any of my posts but that a customer of his told him what was going on, and he wanted to get this straightened out.
Hard to believe that he was unaware of yours and others situations until today.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Brian

As long as those that are owed get their cash, the rest is wallpaper...
Old 06-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Steve Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Hard to believe that he was unaware of yours and others situations until today.
That cinches it. If he doesn't keep in touch with the hobby blogs he has become irrelevant.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Richard Simon

I guess that Mastro needed your money to defend himself in the Bill Daniels lawsuit. Kind of like a former major player in the autograph business, who owed consignors money. When one of them actually confronted him he said "my wife wanted to remodel the house and I needed your money" (true story).
Old 06-25-2009, 07:54 PM
David

Default Business 101

I am glad you are getting your money. These card we love often times mean more than money to all of us but unfortunately money is the only thing that comes close to substituting for our cards. Its bad enough to be swindled out of $5400 but when its cards you gave up for that nothing in return it hurts even more if you ask me.

Its good this guy Doug is doing the right thing. Its unfortunate he is most certainly only doing it because he has to protect his brand. One thing he didn't realize, as much as he tried, its not possible to cherry pick the best parts of that Mastro garbage in that inside deal because the good will or in this case "bad will" cannot be separated from the assets. He should have known and hopefully knows that perhaps its better to forgo some consignment profits from these new auctions to nullify and essentially buy back the "bad will" that came with their Mastro asset purchase. They may know cards but based on past experience and this new beginning they know nothing about business and running a successful company.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Not sure taking down the banner ad is going to make Legendary pay any faster but it was the right thing to have done. What would help is if some of the very high profile "dealers" paid back the many (and I mean MANY) hundreds of thousands of dollars they owe them. Right now these guys look like the GAI of auction world. Next thing you know they will show up in an RV and hold an auction outside your house.

Greg
Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default speculation 101

I don't think any of us here knows the terms under which Legendary came to possess Mastro Auctions' assets, and the critique of Doug's business acumen in connection with the transaction is just so much idle speculation. Indeed, while I cannot now locate the thread, I recall a board member came up with information suggesting what really happened is simply that the financial firm behind Mastro transferred assets from one wholly owned entity to another, Legendary. There was, if that is true, no "asset purchase" at all. Oh and by the way, it's clique, not "click."
Old 06-25-2009, 09:56 PM
Jim VB

Peter,

That was me who posted that.

I also am not privy to any parts of the deal concerning Mastro into Legendary. I do know that Mastro was owned by an investment firm named Silk Road Equity. The day the announcement of the "sale" was made, I checked their web site and Mastro Auctions was no longer listed in their portfolio, but Legendary Auctions was. To me, this means the purchase/sale was done to extract Bill Mastro from the business.

A CPA (or an attorney) specializing in bankruptcies would know better, but the carefully worded phrase concerning the "acquiring the assets" is designed to move the assets and leave the debts behind. If those debts include consignors who are owed money, I'm surprised they are paying up this easily. Actually, I'm surprised that Doug even has that option. If the "ruse" was well constructed, you would think the creditors would have to chase Mastro through the courts for payment.

http://www.silkroadequity.com/Equity/Portfolio.html