NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-12-2019, 08:11 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
what relationship does a CDV or a cabinet card have with the modern baseball card?

The way CDVs were used in general is fairly close to the way some more modern cards were distributed. When I started years ago, those more modern cards weren't considered to be cards either, but often are now.

CDVs were typically bought by the subject to give away to friends and family as keepsakes and reminders of the subject. The number bought would depend on how well off you were, and how many people you figured on giving a photo to. As I understand it, famous people would sometimes get requests for a photo. I don't think a player would have treated CDVs any differently.

Some studios had permission to sell copies of CDVs of famous people to the general public. Others probably just copied what they could.

So they're almost a direct parallel to the cards created for players to send to fans, which come in a variety of types, from team issued, to stuff like the George Burke postcards and photo stamps, and ones the players had made for themselves.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:49 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
Kevin,

That 1871 ad is amazing! I don't recall seeing it before. I also don't recall seeing any of the cards of the individual players it lists. If anybody has one or has seen one, I would love to see an image of its front and verso.
I think that the 1871 ad refers to the JA Pierce team CDVs that feature composites of the players that are listed in the ad.

There are 7 teams listed on the 1871 ad - Boston, Chicago, Olympic, Athletic, Cleveland, Rockford and Kekionga. At least 5 of these teams are known to exist and the players featured in these CDVs match up perfectly with the players named in the 1871 ad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Athletic.jpg (70.5 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Boston.jpg (65.5 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Kekionga.jpg (71.6 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Olympic.jpg (72.1 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Chicago 2.jpg (52.4 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 1871 NY Clipper Ad.jpg (82.0 KB, 220 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 04-12-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:05 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Rarities View Post
I think that the 1871 ad refers to the JA Pierce team CDVs that feature composites of the players that are listed in the ad.

There are 7 teams listed on the 1871 ad - Boston, Chicago, Olympic, Athletic, Cleveland, Rockford and Kekionga. At least 5 of these teams are known to exist and the players featured in these CDVs match up perfectly with the players named in the 1871 ad.
That was my original thought when I first read the ad. But its reference to photos of named players made me think it was referring not to team images but instead to individual player images. Inasmuch as to my knowledge there are no known Peck & Snyder's of individual players (exempting Creighton, which technically was not a Peck & Snyder), likely the ad was referencing either the JA Pierce team CdVs or the Mort Rogers. Given the overlap of players with the Pierce's and the lack of known Mort Rogers from some of those teams, you very well might be correct in your assessment Kevin.

Last edited by benjulmag; 04-12-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:11 PM
CoreyRS.hanus

Here is the mammoth plate Peck & Snyder 1868 Brooklyn Atlantics at the NYPL. The condition as one can see is rough, but seeing it up close was amazing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NYPL 1868 Atlantics mam. pl..jpg (11.3 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by benjulmag; 04-19-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:59 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjulmag View Post
Here is the mammoth plate Peck & Snyder 1868 Brooklyn Atlantics at the NYPL. The condition as one can see is rough, but seeing it up close was amazing.
Corey-Was this image rephotographed to make the trade card photograph, or was that from a separate shot?
Old 04-20-2019, 03:45 AM
Barry Sloate

Great to see that Corey, thanks. Looking at how damaged that piece is may be a clue as to why no others have survived. Some issues don't hold up well.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:02 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Jay -- Here is the link to the NYPL website that shows the image (and allows enlargement for closer inspection): https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/...0-e00a18064a99

When comparing the image to the trade card image, they clearly appear to be the identical shot. As such, almost certainly the mammoth plate was reshot to create the trade card. To do the reverse would result in a noticeable degradation in the mammoth plate's resolution.

I am aware of no known CdVs of the 1870 Mutuals or White Stockings, which I find interesting. Other than mammoth plate size (none of which I know to have survived), they exist only in P & S trade card format. I wonder if P & S owned the negative and publication rights to these two images. The only 1970 P & S trade card known in conventional CdV format (i.e., having no advertising other than identification of the studio that took the image) is the 1870 Athletics. That image though is a composite, which is a significant distinction and consistent with this theory as one would expect a studio more than a sporting goods company to be the copyright owner of an image that requires shots of multiple individual players.

Last edited by benjulmag; 04-20-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I will go plus one on this comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Great to see that Corey, thanks. Looking at how damaged that piece is may be a clue as to why no others have survived. Some issues don't hold up well.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:17 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Most people have seen the Mutuals P&S, but here is the Chicago, albeit used as the trade card of another retailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E54F09B7-8579-4EDD-9E5C-42E2FCACA5E7.jpg (18.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 26532579-EC0C-417A-B6AE-BC1024D2A8E9.jpg (19.5 KB, 122 views)
Old 04-23-2019, 02:23 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Jay,

Here is the link to the REA description for that item: https://www.robertedwardauctions.com...vered-example/

Do we know for certain that it is not a P & S trade card? The reference to the Chicago company was affixed after the card was produced, so that company likely did not create the card. The verso is heavily trimmed; as such it does not identify where it came from. Inasmuch as it was a sporting goods manufacturer, do you think it was P & S (with a new verso) or a company affiliated with P & S?

Below is the verso of the version with the conventional ad, again taken from an REA auction: https://www.robertedwardauctions.com...&gid=1&pid=2by

Both contain the phrase "Base Ball Players' Supplies". Admittedly that is not a unique advertising phrase, but it does make one wonder if this other verso is not from P & S or an affiliate.

The fact that the image has not yet surfaced in conventional CdV format is unusual if the card once existed in that format.

Last edited by benjulmag; 04-23-2019 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:57 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Corey-If I had to guess, I would say it is an affiliated company.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:23 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

BTW, can anyone figure out the rebus on the Chicago trade card? I would think the end is "large sales and strong profits is our motto"

Last edited by oldjudge; 04-23-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:48 PM
Barry Sloate

I also see what looks like "our line will do well to see" but the sticker is blocking too much of it.

Last edited by barrysloate; 04-23-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:54 PM

Jay, I think a couple of the phrases are “see the biggest and best” and “do well to see”. .
Old 04-23-2019, 07:27 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

People see the biggest and best assortment of _______. Our line will do well. To see all _____.Large sales and strong profits are our motto.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:37 PM

First blank—-stock?
Old 04-23-2019, 08:21 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

That cat chasing the mouse could be "catcher" or "catching".