NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-23-2019, 05:17 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I just interpreted your comment that if four were sitting around and it went to a Pop 6 it wouldn't be considered rare any longer.

Some of this discussion is predicated around what is rare. If a card where there are two known examples increases by a few that is to be expected over time but the chances of a card with only two known examples at this point exploding is zero.
I was just being sarcastic. The card would still be rare at a 6 pop but may be worth a little less. Maybe.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:20 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I was just being sarcastic. The card would still be rare at a 6 pop but may be worth a little less. Maybe.

I assume it would be worth the same or more. Sometimes a publicized recent sale creates even more interest.

I know nothing about the card but if there are only two know copies I would consider that insanely rare. Cool card.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:27 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
I assume it would be worth the same or more. Sometimes a publicized recent sale creates even more interest.

I know nothing about the card but if there are only two know copies I would consider that insanely rare. Cool card.
Point of order - If you call a card insanely rare, do you have to have your full name in your post? I know you do David, but I just want to clarify the forum rules. Perhaps Leon is close by.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:29 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Point of order - If you call a card insanely rare, do you have to have your full name in your post? I know you do David, but I just want to clarify the forum rules. Perhaps Leon is close by.
I have some insanely rare cards. It is like the Gem Mint 10 of rare. Haha
Old 04-23-2019, 06:09 PM
David Peck

Interesting to learn about this card.

https://catalog.scpauctions.com/1910...-LOT41525.aspx
Old 04-23-2019, 06:53 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Let me count the ways:

1. It devalues knowledge. Putting together a top registry set doesn't require that the collector learn how to assess a card, just how to read a flip.

2. It increases competition between collectors, needlessly IMO. Registry geeks are constantly measuring themselves against other collectors rather than enjoying their compadres' collections.

3. It drives up prices by giving rich collectors reasons to battle over top specimens, which has the collateral effect of pricing many of us out of certain issues.

4. It dramatically increases the cost of collecting: slabbing stuff is expensive.

5. It makes storage of a substantial collection more difficult.

6. it grants a third party with a profit motive tremendous power over the hobby and its participants.
+1
Old 04-23-2019, 08:03 PM
Shain

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
+1
I agree with all of these points. As a younger collector (ripe age of 37) who just wanted to spend a hard-earned life savings on baseball cards, started seriously buying last summer 2018, I must say, I was in for a big surprise/disappointment when I started buying up cards on Ebay.

I started with a 1941 Play Ball Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio, simply due to the historical significance of that year (last 0.400 batting average, 56-game hitting streak, last year before those players sacrificed time to WWII). I used Beckett as a guide to gauge the value of the cards I was buying, simply because Beckett magazine is what I remembered as a kid as being the definitive price guide for cards.

I continued buying and buying and until, thanks to certain sellers (here's looking at you, Ed Hazuka!) began answering my questions and educating me as to vintagecardprices.com and PSA SMR price guides, the difference between PSA/SGC/BVG, etc.

Suddenly, it began to become very clear that there was an essential cold, calculated, scrutinizing monopoly on the value of cards. I thought "the older and more worn, the better!" but boy was I wrong!

Suddenly, my child-like joy of simply buying "old cards I'd never thought I would own" philosophy eventually morphed into trying to acquire the best centered and best PSA grades I could possibly afford.

Now, months later, and having invested in a $70K + value collection of cards, I can honestly look back and say: boy do I miss that original feeling, that original passion, of simply adoring those worn beat up cards for what they were.. before all the scrutiny and PSA-grading mentality took over the way I looked at baseball cards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 11:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Shain, you can go back to what you like. Check out OBC (Old Baseball Cards). There are some members on this board. They collect lower grade cards for the love of it.

http://mac.oldbaseball.com/

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-24-2019, 08:54 AM
Michael C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagwell-1994 View Post
I agree with all of these points. As a younger collector (ripe age of 37) who just wanted to spend a hard-earned life savings on baseball cards, started seriously buying last summer 2018, I must say, I was in for a big surprise/disappointment when I started buying up cards on Ebay.

I started with a 1941 Play Ball Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio, simply due to the historical significance of that year (last 0.400 batting average, 56-game hitting streak, last year before those players sacrificed time to WWII). I used Beckett as a guide to gauge the value of the cards I was buying, simply because Beckett magazine is what I remembered as a kid as being the definitive price guide for cards.

I continued buying and buying and until, thanks to certain sellers (here's looking at you, Ed Hazuka!) began answering my questions and educating me as to vintagecardprices.com and PSA SMR price guides, the difference between PSA/SGC/BVG, etc.

Suddenly, it began to become very clear that there was an essential cold, calculated, scrutinizing monopoly on the value of cards. I thought "the older and more worn, the better!" but boy was I wrong!

Suddenly, my child-like joy of simply buying "old cards I'd never thought I would own" philosophy eventually morphed into trying to acquire the best centered and best PSA grades I could possibly afford.

Now, months later, and having invested in a $70K + value collection of cards, I can honestly look back and say: boy do I miss that original feeling, that original passion, of simply adoring those worn beat up cards for what they were.. before all the scrutiny and PSA-grading mentality took over the way I looked at baseball cards.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Great post!

I think the only way to enjoy cards like when you were young is to not "invest" money in cards, simply buy cards you enjoy and change your mentality on making money when you sell. Just buy what you like and don't worry about ROI.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default lower And higher grade for me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Shain, you can go back to what you like. Check out OBC (Old Baseball Cards). There are some members on this board. They collect lower grade cards for the love of it.

http://mac.oldbaseball.com/
Of course I am biased but I think he can do both here! There are thousands of collectors on our site who collect cards that don't cost nice-house-mortgages. For me, I like well worn and real nice.

C'mon dude, get up!!

Old 04-24-2019, 09:50 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Of course I am biased but I think he can do both here! There are thousands of collectors on our site who collect cards that don't cost nice-house-mortgages. For me, I like well worn and real nice.

C'mon dude, get up!!

You can also enjoy high grade cards and mid grade cards at the same time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Andre9008.jpg (35.9 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Andre5267.jpg (75.2 KB, 255 views)
Old 04-24-2019, 09:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
You can also enjoy high grade cards and mid grade cards at the same time.
I only have 1 nice card and didn't want to show it again.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:04 AM
David Peck

Quote:

The Babe Ruth?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
The Babe Ruth?
You aren't reeling me in. LOL
Old 04-24-2019, 01:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
God don't please.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:30 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I don't know a single knowledgeable collector who views the pop reports as absolute certainty. Auction houses will of course use the pop reports as a certainty because they are in the business of selling and puffery is the norm. There have been plenty of times I've seen auctions of cards described as one of a kind -- with another example sitting in my collection, slabbed by the same company.
The key phrase being "knowledgeable collector"...
Old 04-24-2019, 07:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

We've discussed it before, but I still find it interesting to speculate how many people out there still have significant unslabbed collections. There always seems to be a huge divergence of opinion.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:13 AM

"Are we slaves to the Registry?"

Ebay sellers certainly price their items as if we are shackled to the PSA Registry, as if we are all involved in it. I prefer my item professionally graded by one of the main firms, but the Registry has made it a rich man's game that I fear will price the far majority of active collectors out of that ball game. Maybe I am wrong; there's actually more and more collectors jumping into the fray with deep pockets. Yes? No?

Early on I sized up the matter of working towards collecting an entire Topps or Bowman regular issue set. In the end I'm sure there would be some gratification, particularly if you were in the top 10 of the finest of that given set. Be that as it may, you start to think about how to store all those slabs? How to display them? It just left me empty, and questioning the sanity of all this. Yeah, we really do need reputable professional grading; I wouldn't want to go back to "it's a screamer" or "so sharp you could shave with it" garbage, but all that hassle and expense to collect a 600-card Topps set, just to have boxes of slabs that you're too afraid to display out in the open for fear of ultra violet ray damage, etc. ...... distills to "THIS IS FOR THE BIRDS---FORGET IT!"

I was more attracted to smaller, tougher sets, and player registries. However, even that gets overwhelming.

In the end, I discovered that I just enjoyed collecting items I found particularly attractive and well-designed, that had a terrific player photo, and PSA-graded. If someone wants to collect the entire 1967 Topps set, they better think it through. Six hundred-plus cards is a lot of work and expense. The pre-war guys have split the T-206 into all the tobacco companies, but they're happy as a clam, and that's fine if they're content. We collectors often find ourselves parsing and dissecting things, so we can one-up our fellow collectors I suppose.

I better stop the ramblin', but I seriously wonder if many collectors have just given up on the Registry, and unlocked their shackles from it?

"The Show Must Go On" say those who sell.... What if it's just become .... too expensive? As has been written by many, top-of-the-line creme de la creme cards and items seem not only to retain their value, but continue to appreciate. That is healthy for our hobby. Let's face it, when a card reaches 4, 5, or 6 figures, it MUST be graded!

Back to the OP however, methinks the compulsion to doggedly pursue the task of completing huge regular issue GRADED sets has lost its luster and appeal, and going back to hunting down centered raw cards with great eye appeal is becoming more appealing again.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 04-27-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:52 PM
�tis J�hns�n

Default TPGs

I bought a lot of expensive (for the time) cards online and through the mail before third party grading got a foothold in the hobby. A lot of them turned out to be trimmed, colored or just outright fakes.
Sometimes I got my money back but more often i didn't. I'm still finding trimmed cards that have been in my collection for decades.
I'm not an apologist for the sins of TPGs, but at least these days I'm fairly confident I'm getting the real thing.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs336 View Post
I bought a lot of expensive (for the time) cards online and through the mail before third party grading got a foothold in the hobby. A lot of them turned out to be trimmed, colored or just outright fakes.
Sometimes I got my money back but more often i didn't. I'm still finding trimmed cards that have been in my collection for decades.
I'm not an apologist for the sins of TPGs, but at least these days I'm fairly confident I'm getting the real thing.
Depends on what you're buying, IMO. There are tons of trimmed cards in slabs, again IMO.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Just stirring the pot

The current crossover thread suggests that cards failing to cross over from SGC to PSA result in profits for PSA despite their "free" Registry. And yet folks claim they are not slaves to the Registry.

I would like to hear the following questions discussed.

What would the landscape of third parting grading look like if there was no PSA Registry?

How would market share be distributed among the legitimate (?) TPGs?

Who has the best slab?
Who has the best graders?
Who has the best customer service?

or more simply put

Would your collection be in PSA holders if the registry did not exist? Are they that much better than the competition?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:24 PM
David Peck

The OP of that thread was trying to cross over cards to PSA in an attempt to increase their value. I see no reason why a corporation shouldn't be able to profit from the attempt of a consumer to try and profit. Had the OP put no minimum grade all cards that were not deemed to be altered would have ended up in a slab. PSA examined the cards and therefore should be compensated for the process.

It is really hard to say what the landscape would look like. I got into submitting cards in 2010 and it was clear at that point there was really no other way to go for more modern cards like I collect and the market share was north of 80% of the new submission volume at that point. The battle was won quite some time ago and all three third party graders had a shot and PSA won. I am not entirely certain if SGC ever really wanted to compete on the mass volume level or if they were content being a niche player but obviously today they have a tiny amount of market share.

There is no doubt the registry has aided PSA in their dominance. Plenty of people myself included played follow the leader. When I decided to start my venture I did a lot of research on the highest sale priced cards and the registry and it was beyond clear there was no other direction for me to take it if I wanted to attempt to maximize the opportunity. The top dealers were submitting their cards to PSA and the range of sets that were being collected was extremely broad.

It is really impossible to go back in time and play the what if game. PSA just was so much further ahead of the other two when I came into graded cards that in my view the horse had already left the barn. They had a drastically better website, active message board, great marketing, dominant market share, highest on average selling prices, very professional magazine, and of course thousands of listed sets on the registry.

I have spoken to Joe Orlando and he never once said PSA is better at grading cards but instead they focus on branding. I think it is incredibly smart. Building a brand created loyalty and value add and you can't even begin to compare the online presence of the three.

There has always been debate about who has the best slab. I personally like the PSA slab the best because it is simple and easy to handle and you can shuffle them like cards. The SGC slab really makes many cards pop and for some of the older issues is extremely attractive and I could see someone liking it more. The BGS slab was always thought to be the best because of its strength and I made a video some years ago after numerous people challenged me and didn't believe they could be busted open so easily just to prove a point and they are in my view the easiest to safely crack a card from. They are bulky and heavy and I personally just don't care for them. One of the knocks against PSA is their older slabs are weak and the seem can easily be popped and this has proven to be true. Instead of resting on their laurels they came out with a slab so tough I about damaged both cards I tried to crack out and now I am scared to even try. This is a toss up because I think you will never find total consensus.

I don't know if you can say who has the best graders. Anyone who has ever submitted cards will quickly realize it isn't a completely perfect science. This is one of the things that is hard to accept about third party grading. I was alarmed when I first got involved when I saw a few cards bump because I just didn't see how that could happen. How does a card magically go up in grade? What I learned is some graders value certain aspects of a card differently and some are more conservative than others and sometimes their eye doesn't see things you see and you are pleasantly surprised. For the most part they get it right but there are clearly some head scratching results at times and that is the part of the process that is hard to reconcile. For the primary set I collect PSA is much tougher on average but that doesn't necessary mean their graders are better. Once again I think it is a toss up and no one will ever totally agree here.

I have only submitted cards to SGC once and was impressed at how quickly the phone was answered and the person I dealt with was extremely knowledgeable and on top of things. PSA grades at least 1.5 million more cards than SGC does so I don't see how they could ever be as good with the sheer volume. Beckett is based in Texas and I thought I was dealing with someone from a third world country and so in my view they are a distant last. Customer service matters and PSA really had some serious growing pains last year and it has been nice to see they are taking steps to address this. I like many had a submission that left a sour taste in my mouth and the frustration really took the fun out of submitting cards. That said when the total number of cards being graded has expanded so much it is easier said than done to streamline your operation to handle it.

I guess the answer is no that my cards in general wouldn't be graded by PSA if it weren't for the registry. That said I just saw that there were so many more high dollar cards graded by PSA and that extremely knowledgeable and wealthy collectors had gone that route so it was in my view a no brainer. Why would I try and outsmart all of these super successful collectors? I read articles on non sports cards and some of the hobbies legends and if they were going that direction it only made sense I did. I don't know why they chose PSA but they did so those following in their footsteps could either try and reinvent the wheel or follow the leader. I played follow the leader. During the nine years I have submitted cards the strangle hold on the industry has only grown stronger so I feel great about the choice I made.