NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Default PSA review question

Posted By: steve

I submitted a card - thought at least a high end "7", good chance an "8".

Just back from PSA with an EX-MT 6. No way, No way, No way. I have been over the thing with magnifying glass, good lighting, good long look over - I do not see anything, been looking at this stuff for many years now.

Question: What are chances for success (getting it into a 7 or higher holder) with the PSA review process? Does anyone have any first hand experience with this review process? Or is it just best to crack & re-submit? Thing is, if it is a "6" will PSA tell you specifically why they downgraded ?

Thanks, Steve.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

Have a scan? What kind of card is it? You might as well crack it out and resubmit, rather than review it.

-Kyle

Old 06-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

about cracking it out and sending again is...you don't want to mess up the pop report if its low. Also, if they gave it a PSA 6 then chances are you will get the same grade if you send it again.

I would love to see a scan also.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

Question: What are chances for success (getting it into a 7 or higher holder) with the PSA review process?

Try having it re-submitted by a high-end sportscard auctioneer.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Why would a high end sports auctioneer, as you refer to him, send it in unless it is a consignment? And what difference will that make? If you genuinely think the card might get a 7, crack it out and resubmit it. If it comes back a 6 then that's what it is. If it's nicer than a 6, it just might get a bump.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I think Joe makes sense on this one. JP Cohen has probably gotten a favor or 100 from good old JO.....just a guess...I have no proof except he's a PSA dealer and shouldn't be according to their guidelines on being one....(or so was previously stated in another thread)....regards

Old 06-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

i hate the idea that you have to spend another $15 (+ shipping costs plus wait time) or whatever the price is to resubmit the card to get a 7. Why are they (graders in general) so inconsistent with their grading? They should have guidelines to follow, point out the flaws in the card, and get a grade from there.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

if you give it for a review they will find any little fault to justify the grade they gave.

and all grading companies give preferential treatment...that's just a fact of life.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

alright - crack & resubmit. big sigh. steve.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Leon- on a borderline card a good customer might be accorded a little slack, but if you don't know JP Cohen personally why would you call him and ask him to take one of your cards and submit it? And would you slide him some cash if he does in fact get you that higher grade? If so, the whole thing reeks like rotten fish!

Old 06-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

For that matter why not send it to mastro let them have a go with it and shoot for an 8!

Old 06-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator

If this is the way the grading service is perceived, then I think it's pretty despicable. That's like a lawyer paying off the jury to get a better result for his client.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

Barry it was SO much worse when PSA would grade live at shows and dealers would personally hand them stacks of cards to be reviewed.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rand

i dont send anything to psa, my choice is SGC, and anytime i have had an issue, They (Bob & Michael) always take a second to explain the grade if i call. sometimes i will put a note on the card asking for an explanation if it doesnt get a grade i think, at least they will circle the area or write it on the flip. I know the registry is the driving force behind PSA loyalty, but the aggravation and lack of help on their end is unfortunate.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

I have given PSA cards to be reviewed at shows. I have had bumps up when I asked to have a grade explained. I have been shown a back wrinkle that I missed and I have had a cards downgraded and received the difference in credit. I have not sent cards through the mail to be reviewed though. I just take them to on sight grading shows.