NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Default Paterson (or Doherty) Silk Sox Postcards

Has anyone ever come across a postcard of the Paterson Silk Sox team from NJ? I saw one in an auction catalogue years ago and can't figure out where it was. They were a powerful semi-pro industrial League team circa 1914-1935 and Mel Ott used to be lent out to them by McGraw early in his career for seasoning before becoming a regular on the Giants.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Jonathan

Default Doherty Silk Sox

Here is some info we found on the well known Silk Sox to go along with our pro model, game used, Silk Sox bat....

Between 1916 and 1927, the Doherty Silk Sox played in the semi-pro Paterson Industrial League. They played exhibition games against such major league teams as the New York Yankees and the Chicago Cubs as well as a host of other semi-pro teams. The Silk Sox played at their field, the Doherty Oval, located behind The Doherty Silk Company mill on Main Avenue, Clifton, New Jersey. Hall of Famers as Babe Ruth, John "Honus" Wagner and Rogers Hornsby all played at the Oval.

Jonathan
ww.dugouttreasures.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SilkSox2.jpg fl.jpg (37.4 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg SilkSox1.jpg fl.jpg (37.9 KB, 223 views)
Old 04-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Default Doherty Mill / Oval photo

For anyone interested in additional information on the Doherty Silk Sox and the Doherty Oval baseball park . . . .page 33 of the following source gives a one-page description of the baseball that took place at the Doherty Oval, along with a pretty good picture of the ballpark.

Click here: Historic Passaic County: An Illustrated History - Edward A. Smyk, Robert J. Masiello - Google Books

Note: My interest in the Doherty "story" -- my grandparents worked at the mill, I grew up in Clifton, and my father (Eddie Mayo), as a youngster, worked at the Oval, collecting pop bottles for deposit money, wrapped peanuts, and other activities that I won't mention here. The source cited here also mentions that he was the Silk Sox mascot (although I never remember him mentioning this). He also went on to spend 24 years in Organized Baseball, including 13 years in MLB, with his best years as a second baseman with the Tigers, including the '45 World Series. Growing up, he lived right across the street (Main St) from the Doherty Mill.

One question that has gone unanswered for me is why the Silk Sox stopped playing after 1927.

Ed Mayo

Old 04-22-2012, 01:41 PM

Default P.S. Doherty Oval photo

Ancestry Doherty Oval.jpg
Old 08-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Default Honus Wagner playing at Doherty Oval in Paterson, NJ

I have an advertising card for Honus Wagner in his Pittsburgh uniform playing at Doherty Oval in Paterson, NJ. Circa early 1900's.
I've never seen another like it. Does anyone has any info on the date/event of this card? Thanks, B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2348.jpg (71.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 08-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Derek Granger

nothing to add...but "Whoa!" and "Awesome!"

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 08-19-2017, 09:02 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I grew up in Paterson, thanks for posting the pics and info.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:05 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

What's the logo on the bottom of the Wagner card say? Anything on the back?