NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Al

Default CLOSING TONIGHT - Love of the Game Auctions

Hi Everyone:

Thought I'd take a moment on this beautiful day to remind you that tonight is the closing night of Love of the Game's Spring Premier Auction.

Extended bidding begins at 9PM Eastern time, and the entire auction remains open on the 15-minute rule. I do expect this one to be open late.

Bidding has been very brisk since the auction opened, but there are still a few excellent values that I thought I'd bring to your attention.

First is a fantastic Tris Speaker game-used bat. The bat has been graded GU 8 by John Taube at PSA/DNA, and comes with outstanding provenance that places it in Game 7 of the 1920 World Series. That was the Indians' first Series victory, with the team (led by Speaker) rallying after the tragic death of Ray Chapman. No question the bat is beautiful, and has historical significance.

Another item with fantastic provenance is a pair of multi-signed balls and accompanying snapshot album. Signatures include Babe Ruth, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Johnny Evers, Joe Tinker, and more, and were obtained at Yankees training camp in St. Petersburg, Florida in 1934 by a businessman named Dewitt Clinton Amerine. You can read the whole story here.

Other great items with some room for bids include:

Lot #8: 1910 T210 Old Mill Casey Stengel

Lot #15: Rich Gossage 1979 Yankees Away Jersey, w/Thurman Munson armband

Lot 138:
Beautiful 1929 Philadelphia Athletics Panoramic Photo

Lot 223: 1887 N175 Gypsy Queen Pud Galvin

A fantastic group of 1895 N300 Mayo's that includes the tough George Haddock "No Team On Shirt" variation, the Jack Glasscock Pittsburgh variation and the Tom Kinslow "No Team On Shirt" variation.

For Tigers fans, there's also the Dennis Clotworthy collection, which includes some of the coolest Tiger Stadium memorabilia I've ever seen. The two outfield wall pads are absolutely fantastic, particularly the 1999 commemorative pad, with the outstanding Stadium graphics.

And of course there are a host of complete Topps sets from our Texas Find, some of which are just spectacular.

Please do take a look, if you're so inclined.

Good luck, and thanks for your time!

Regards,
-Al
Old 06-11-2016, 12:00 PM
qualitycards

Al, Good luck!
Get some rest now as you'll be up all night
Old 06-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Good luck tonight to all consignors, bidders and Al and team. I think I just got outbid....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
Hi Everyone:

Thought I'd take a moment on this beautiful day to remind you that tonight is the closing night of Love of the Game's Spring Premier Auction.

Extended bidding begins at 9PM Eastern time, and the entire auction remains open on the 15-minute rule. I do expect this one to be open late.

Bidding has been very brisk since the auction opened, but there are still a few excellent values that I thought I'd bring to your attention.

First is a fantastic Tris Speaker game-used bat. The bat has been graded GU 8 by John Taube at PSA/DNA, and comes with outstanding provenance that places it in Game 7 of the 1920 World Series. That was the Indians' first Series victory, with the team (led by Speaker) rallying after the tragic death of Ray Chapman. No question the bat is beautiful, and has historical significance.

Another item with fantastic provenance is a pair of multi-signed balls and accompanying snapshot album. Signatures include Babe Ruth, Grover Cleveland Alexander, Johnny Evers, Joe Tinker, and more, and were obtained at Yankees training camp in St. Petersburg, Florida in 1934 by a businessman named Dewitt Clinton Amerine. You can read the whole story here.

Other great items with some room for bids include:

Lot #8: 1910 T210 Old Mill Casey Stengel

Lot #15: Rich Gossage 1979 Yankees Away Jersey, w/Thurman Munson armband

Lot 138:
Beautiful 1929 Philadelphia Athletics Panoramic Photo

Lot 223: 1887 N175 Gypsy Queen Pud Galvin

A fantastic group of 1895 N300 Mayo's that includes the tough George Haddock "No Team On Shirt" variation, the Jack Glasscock Pittsburgh variation and the Tom Kinslow "No Team On Shirt" variation.

For Tigers fans, there's also the Dennis Clotworthy collection, which includes some of the coolest Tiger Stadium memorabilia I've ever seen. The two outfield wall pads are absolutely fantastic, particularly the 1999 commemorative pad, with the outstanding Stadium graphics.

And of course there are a host of complete Topps sets from our Texas Find, some of which are just spectacular.

Please do take a look, if you're so inclined.

Good luck, and thanks for your time!

Regards,
-Al
Old 06-11-2016, 05:51 PM

Quite the assemblage, as they say.

Good luck, Al, and to everyone bidding!
Old 06-11-2016, 08:14 PM
Dustin Bellinger

Well good news for me. Extended bidding has arrived and since I am the only bidder this item will be making the return trip back to Kearney, NE.

The park pictured is Memorial Field that was completed in 1946. During the late 40s to early 50s it was home to the Kearney Irishmen a semi-pro team in the Nebraska Independent League. In the mid to late 50s it was home to Kearney Yankees, a class D rookie league team in the Nebraska State League. The park is still in use today by the University of Nebraska - Kearney Lopers a NCAA Division II team. Joba Chamberlain is probably the most notable of the handful of MLB players that have had it as their home park.

While it isn't a significant item among the great auction Al put together I am THRILLED to have come across it. Best of all..as the only bidder I have no need to stay up until 3 am wondering if I will be outbid. Good luck to everyone staying up late. I hope you are all as pleased with what you win as I am with this little postcard.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:51 PM
Jay Cee

I see two bids

Last edited by BeanTown; 06-25-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Dan Bretta

https://loveofthegameauctions.com/Lo...ventoryid=9049

This postcard doesn't depict Guy Green, it's an unknown player. There is a series of these postcards and all of them mention "Guy W. Green, mgr" on the front of the card. Green never played on the team and he didn't suit up as manager. Much like Connie Mack, he led the team in a suit and tie. Not that it will make a difference in what the card will sell for, but I'm sure the new owner would appreciate knowing it's not actually Green.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 06-11-2016 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:04 AM
Scott S

I just woke up and checked my email and was shocked to see I was outbid on something at 5:47! I just logged in and the auction has closed, so it looks like it went straight through until about 6 AM!
Old 06-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Won a few cool items. One of my favorite auctions.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:31 AM
Dustin Bellinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
I see two bids
Poor planning on my part. I placed an initial bid for the minimum and then placed a second max bid. Both bids were placed by me.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:18 AM
Dan Bretta

Stayed up until 2 AM, went to bed high bidder, woke up a loser.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:30 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
Poor planning on my part. I placed an initial bid for the minimum and then placed a second max bid. Both bids were placed by me.
That's actually an excellent plan
Old 06-12-2016, 08:44 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I guess from the point of view of the AH the "let's keep it going all night" routine is to maximize profits with the belief that if I am outbid on the item A at 4 am I might just move on, with that cash freed up, raise my bids on items B and C. I guess that's the logic. But conversely if I really want item A and am afraid it will close earlier I might come in with a much high maximum bid or bid more often at a reasonable hour to protect myself as much as I can.

I suspect that when most people lose items at 4 and 5 am they are fast asleep and aren't doing much of anything besides sleeping. Maybe not true for the top line rarities.

I would have gone high on that cool Ruth exhibit card than I did but wasn't conscious when people starting pushing their chips in towards the middle of the table.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-12-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:49 AM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I guess from the point of view of the AH the "let's keep it going all night" routine is to maximize profits with the belief that if I am outbid on the item A at 4 am I might just move on, with that cash freed up, raise my bids on items B and C. I guess that's the logic. But conversely if I really want item A and am afraid it will close earlier I might come in with a much high maximum bid or bid more often at a reasonable hour to protect myself as much as I can.

I suspect that when most people lose items at 4 and 5 am they are fast asleep and aren't doing much of anything besides sleeping. Maybe not true for the top line rarities.

I would have gone high on that cool Ruth exhibit card than I did but wasn't conscious when people starting pushing their chips in towards the middle of the table.
My view has always been that if you lose out on an item at 4-5am...you didn't bid enough and someone wanted it more. If I was consigning I'd want the auction to go long. Just my opinion.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My consignments picked up extra bids well after midnight Eastern so roll all night as far as I am concerned.

When I saw these two results (not my consignments) my reaction was Holy $h**!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-12-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:10 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Love the exhibits. Got one of the mixed exhibit cards with Ruth and the actors.

As far as the Ruth card above, I may have bid $2700 at 11 pm if I thought I could call it a night and win before turning in. Like any auction you try to gauge the interest level in the audience in making your bid. The idea that you need to be up at 5 am or through the night is insane.

Would love an economist to study this notion. I think it's highly overrated and even could be counterproductive. Can you think of anything else we sell in our society in this way?
Old 06-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Another great Auction

Won two lots, The T5 and the Nolan Ryan 1974 Topps Puzzle. Both at very reasonable prices and below my top all bids on both. Was outbid on 5 other lots some by a large margin. Looks like some strong prices mixed with some bargains. Thats what makes a great auction. Congrats to Al one of the nicest guys in the biz.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Stayed up until 2 AM, went to bed high bidder, woke up a loser.

Basically the same here. I guess I'm going to pretend I'm back in college and start pulling all nighters; a (what I thought was a) high max didn't do the trick.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:58 AM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

As far as the Ruth card above, I may have bid $2700 at 11 pm if I thought I could call it a night and win before turning in. Like any auction you try to gauge the interest level in the audience in making your bid. The idea that you need to be up at 5 am or through the night is insane.

Would love an economist to study this notion. I think it's highly overrated and even could be counterproductive. Can you think of anything else we sell in our society in this way?
I went to bed at a normal time (around 11pm) and slept like a baby. I set an alarm and got up at 3:30 to watch the auction close. Won two items and went back to bed and again, slept like a baby. Now I'm up making breakfast and will head to church in a bit. No need to stay up all night just to play the game.

Late auction endings obviously (my opinion) put more money in the pockets of consignors and AH's and without those two we'd be back to the stone age of the hobby. I've read a plethora of threads regarding AH ending times over the years and the only thing that's clear to me is that there is no perfect way to close for everyone.

Last edited by LEHR; 06-12-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:26 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Like Paul, I went to bed early and got up at 3:30 this morning to check my bids. Find this is much less stressful and easier than ruining the whole next day trying to recover. Also ended up winning two. I reacquired the E92 red crofts Miller and while not what I normally collect, love the image on the Rehse Cabinet, which I believe the scan doesn't quite fully capture.

E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I guess that old adage, "what goes around, comes around" makes some sense. I won the T5 Cobb Pinkerton and was delighted to have snagged it; it is the specimen with Buck Barker's stamp on the back and will be the 3rd time I have owned it. I am not a great believer in card destiny, but sometimes I feel certain cards are somehow inexorably tied to me. Like this one, Cobb in a great pose with Buck's seal of approval.. Had to have it, and we all know what that feels like.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Dave Foster

Glad I live on the left coast. Put in two bids at 0130 - 0430 on the east coast - and ended up winning both.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Daryl

I don't trust any alarm to wake me up at 3:30am. I'm a zombie before 5.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:37 PM
David M.

I live in California so I benefit from the time difference. But I think the extended bidding should only be for items still receiving bids, not the entire auction. I saw the items I was bidding on go into extended bidding at least 3 times, yet these items had received no additional bids during these periods. When I went to sleep at 12 PST I was still high bidder. Yet when I checked this morning I had lost all 3 lots. This might maximize profits, but it really is rewarding whoever stays up the longest, which they claim isn't the goal.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:18 PM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
I don't trust any alarm to wake me up at 3:30am. I'm a zombie before 5.
I'm up Monday through Friday at 4:15am to get ready for work so getting up at 3:30am today was no big deal for me.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:32 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
My consignments picked up extra bids well after midnight Eastern so roll all night as far as I am concerned.

When I saw these two results (not my consignments) my reaction was Holy $h**!

I was the winner for both of those cards. For the 4-1 Exhibit, I had three other color variations, so I really wanted to add this color tint. I was pretty happy with the price, to be frank.

For the 1931-32 Exhibits, I know that I overbid for that card. Myself and another bidder (who I think I know who it is) were going back and forth on that card in the wee hours of the auction. If I ever decide to sell the card, there probably isn't going to be another buyer willing to pay the price that I did. However, I "needed" the card for my Ruth collection, and had gotten blanked at the recent REA and Heritage auctions, so I had spending money I usually don't have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth_4-1.jpg (77.7 KB, 181 views)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:25 PM
Jerry Tate

Default E92 Red Crofts Miller

Nice DJ.....I went after it for a little while but gave up..sold one a few years ago and wanted to see if I could get one back......Jerry
Old 06-12-2016, 05:34 PM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I guess that old adage, "what goes around, comes around" makes some sense. I won the T5 Cobb Pinkerton and was delighted to have snagged it; it is the specimen with Buck Barker's stamp on the back and will be the 3rd time I have owned it. I am not a great believer in card destiny, but sometimes I feel certain cards are somehow inexorably tied to me. Like this one, Cobb in a great pose with Buck's seal of approval.. Had to have it, and we all know what that feels like.
Ah now I know who I was battling with! Such a great piece! Glad you won it.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 06-12-2016, 07:16 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan View Post
Ah now I know who I was battling with! Such a great piece! Glad you won it.
Hey, I had a pony in that race too! 😀😀
Old 06-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Val Kehl

The ONLY good thing about having an old man's BPH condition (enlarged prostate) is that I don't need an alarm clock to wake me up in the middle of the night. I seldom am able to sleep more than 2-3 hours before awaking with an urgent need to use the bathroom. So, I awoke at about 4 a.m. EDST, and after increasing a few bids, I was able to win 3 of the 4 lots I most wanted. But, someone kept outbidding me on the 4th lot, the neat 1916 Morehouse Baking - Joe Tinker card with "CANCELLED" stamped on the back, presumably indicating that this card had been submitted to the company back in the day along with 49 other cards in order to obtain a free ball & bat or a jump rope.
Val